Starting to Love BIEKSA

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Starting to Love BIEKSA

Post by Soapy »

Chicago came out running around trying to take some of the Canucks heads off last night & who stepped up after Ohlund & Kesler got hit (somewhat from behind) BIEKSA He chased down Stewart & tried to pummel him. Too bad Stewart was in no mood to fight BIEKSA. Nice to see !! I've heard he's a great fighter with the Moose but have yet to see him fight anyone in the NHL. At only 25 years old he's been a great addition & a sign that the Canucks drafting has improved.
Vancouver Canucks' 5th round choice (151st overall) in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

He got in a handful of fights last season and proved himself a pretty capable middleweight. Pyatt also met Vandermeer's challenge last night which was good to see.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I just looked up on hockeyfights.com that Bieksa fought 5 times last year winning all of them. He fought Byron Ritchie, Matt Barnaby, Kevin Colley, Dan Hinote & Scott Nichol. I didn't see any of these. He can obviously take care of himself!
-- Winston Churchill
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

I was pretty shocked at how well Pyatt did in his scrap with Vandermeer. He is one mean customer, and while Pyatt didn't do anything that would make you say that he won the fight, he without a doubt held his own.

Bieksa is a buzzsaw, and pound for pound one of the nastiest guys to get into a scrap with in the league. Reminds me a lot of the way that Mike Keane used to fight - all out.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Pyatt fought McGratton from Ott a couiple of years ago. He didn't win the fight but it takes some balls to fight that guy !!
-- Winston Churchill
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I go to school with a buddy of Bieksa's. One night he was telling me about BXA's work ethic in the offseason. His commitment is unreal.

BXA once lifted a car over his head while saving a baby from a burning house and then saved a cat from a tree. BXA is legend.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Linden Is God wrote:BXA once lifted a car over his head while saving a baby from a burning house and then saved a cat from a tree. BXA is legend.
He must have been a mentee of Chuck Norris.
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

Somewhere in the offseason, Bieksa turned into our two-way stud physical young blueliner. What a great draft pick in the 6th round.

With the possible exception of Salo, he's the best value on our team.

But I wouldn't go so far to say that Canuck scouting has improved. While I think our Euro scouting is very good (Edler, Koltsov, Hansen, Chubs, Ruutu, Sedins, Ohlund etc) our North American scouting could use a lot of improvement.

I haven't been particularly impressed in any of the last several drafts where they took a North American early. They picked Smith over Boyes, and Justin Williams, Kesler (though I believe he is a keeper) over Richards and Perry, and Bourdon over Kopitar (painful). Mistakes like those are the difference between winning and losing it all.....
Eyes on the Prize
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Linden Is God wrote:BXA once lifted a car over his head while saving a baby from a burning house and then saved a cat from a tree. BXA is legend.
He must have been a mentee of Chuck Norris.
He is the new Chuck Norris.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Momesso wrote:Somewhere in the offseason, Bieksa turned into our two-way stud physical young blueliner. What a great draft pick in the 6th round.

With the possible exception of Salo, he's the best value on our team.

But I wouldn't go so far to say that Canuck scouting has improved. While I think our Euro scouting is very good (Edler, Koltsov, Hansen, Chubs, Ruutu, Sedins, Ohlund etc) our North American scouting could use a lot of improvement.

I haven't been particularly impressed in any of the last several drafts where they took a North American early. They picked Smith over Boyes, and Justin Williams, Kesler (though I believe he is a keeper) over Richards and Perry, and Bourdon over Kopitar (painful). Mistakes like those are the difference between winning and losing it all.....
Our Eurpean scouting is definitely a strength, in addition to Edler being a steal, I think Rahimi has some of that promise as well, maybe Simek, Hansen looks like a steal, and don't forget Grabner (a first rounder, not a steal, to be clear), if he pans out. As for North Americans, yeah, it's been weaker, but I do think it can be said that our drafting has improved, at least as far as Delorme taking over for Penney, and maybe Nonis over Burke. Smith was brutal, Kesler is a solid player but I would have liked more upside and there were guys available.

As for Nonis' tenure, Schneider looks solid, with Ellis and Vincent also having promise, and as for Bourdon over Kopitar, well, I wanted Kopitar but Bourdon is by no means a bad pick. He's taking longer than expected, but even his biggest critics admit he'll be a stud. Grabner showed Nonis was willing to go for upside, even if it meant taking risks (something we'd not done in the past), and our picks after the first round have yielded some potential, with names like Edler, Rahimi, Hansen, Raymond, and Simek. The last three drafts have made our pipeline a lot better than the previous three years.
Mark
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Grabner although Austrian was a n.American pick, he was drafted out of Spokane in the Dub.

The NA picks by Delorme are

Umberger, Schneider, Ellis-Plante, Vincent,Grabner,Kesler, Bourdon, Raymond, Bieska, and a defenseman that was traded to the Ducks, can't remember his name.

As to the EU picks I believe the move DN made to bring Edler and Hansen over to play in the WHL was a real heads up move and a one that may well be copied by others.

What is important is the amateur scouting team that they have developed is really showing well. I'm confident that Delorme as well as DN visits the EU selections before the draft. Gradin does a lot of the EU scouting but they also have a Russian scout who's not chopped liver, I'm thinking of Koltsov picked in the 2nd round.

The weakness as I see it is the Pro scouts. Lorne Henning and who else i don't know, likley Smyl. They provide the data on Pro picks for trade and FA's . They certainly hit pay dirt with Krajick but Chouinard looks like a waste as does Santal ( was he scouted by Gradin or Henning ?)

Over all I think the post Penney days are proving to be far better
cheers
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Fred wrote:Grabner although Austrian was a n.American pick, he was drafted out of Spokane in the Dub.

The NA picks by Delorme are

Umberger, Schneider, Ellis-Plante, Vincent,Grabner,Kesler, Bourdon, Raymond, Bieska, and a defenseman that was traded to the Ducks, can't remember his name.

As to the EU picks I believe the move DN made to bring Edler and Hansen over to play in the WHL was a real heads up move and a one that may well be copied by others.

What is important is the amateur scouting team that they have developed is really showing well. I'm confident that Delorme as well as DN visits the EU selections before the draft. Gradin does a lot of the EU scouting but they also have a Russian scout who's not chopped liver, I'm thinking of Koltsov picked in the 2nd round.

The weakness as I see it is the Pro scouts. Lorne Henning and who else i don't know, likley Smyl. They provide the data on Pro picks for trade and FA's . They certainly hit pay dirt with Krajick but Chouinard looks like a waste as does Santal ( was he scouted by Gradin or Henning ?)

Over all I think the post Penney days are proving to be far better
Also add in Pyatt as a good pro-scout move, but still, that's an identified weakness.
Mark
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

Fred wrote:The NA picks by Delorme are ... and a defenseman that was traded to the Ducks, can't remember his name.
Skinner
Fred wrote:The weakness as I see it is the Pro scouts. Lorne Henning and who else i don't know, likley Smyl. They provide the data on Pro picks for trade and FA's . They certainly hit pay dirt with Krajick but Chouinard looks like a waste as does Santal ( was he scouted by Gradin or Henning ?)
My thoughts too ... Bob Murray is in Anaheim now and telling Burkie to get undervalued guys with star potential like Beauchimen, while his replacements in the Canuck pro scouting department are recommending to Nonis bums like Chouinard, Fitzpatrick, and Bulis ... somehow I think Tambellini is also tied into (and therefore partly responsible for) this glaring weakness in the organization.
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

True, pro-scouting dropped the ball this year. Chouinard and Bulis are not helping this team nearly as much as advertised, and for a while even Pyatt looked like a weak pickup until he became a triplet. Krajicek though was a solid pickup from the start.

Regarding Boudon, I too think he will be a top 3 d-man at least, and a big part of our future here. It just pains me because Kopitar is exactly what this team needs to get to the next level - a young creative offensive forward with size.

Grabner I am not sold on in the least, but I really hope he pans out. He could be a poor man's Naslund, and if he does that, I'll be ecstatic.
Eyes on the Prize
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I like Bieksa. He adds good energy to the blueline. He stands up for his teammates. He's fearless and is playing a decent two-way game. But I will say this: his play has dropped a bit in the last couple of weeks. That said for what he is making he has been more than a pleasant surprise and really it's nice to have two guys in Bieksa and Krajicek who look like they will develop into pretty darn good top 4 guys.