Forsberg wants out of Philly?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

If we got a healthy Forsberg on this team we'd become instead contenders. Amazing what just one player can do. As someone mentioned Forsberg could make a marginal player like Bulis a star. Can you imagine Nazzy and Forsberg on the same line? Absolutely sick. It's not 2002-2003 anymore but these guys are still only 33. They got a couple of very very good seasons left in them.

Of course, this is just a pipedream because we would have to trade a bunch of deadweight in return and why would Philly want that? The only way I could see this working out is if we gave up some highly touted draft picks in addition to roster players like Morrison and Cooke. Even then it's a stretch. Giving up Bourdon would suck. I wouldn't mind, however, giving up some of the goalie prospects. Apparently we got a few good ones and like someone else mentioned, we already got Luongo (who's still got at least 10 years ahead of him) so it wouldn't be such a loss.

Anyways, it probably won't happen but I would be extremely excited if it did.
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

Damn I completly forgot about that rule... thanks for the reminder steve....
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

damn i forgot about that gay rule the cba implemented..thanks for the reminder.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Is it legal for a player to renegotiate his contract in mid-season? If so, then either Forsberg, Naslund or both could take a pay cut to make it happen.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Cornuck wrote:Is it legal for a player to renegotiate his contract in mid-season? If so, then either Forsberg, Naslund or both could take a pay cut to make it happen.
Not anymore.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

My personal view is that, why WOULDN'T Philly want to take on Morrison, Cooke, and Chouinard. 3 defensive forwards. Cooke can bring them the energy. Chouinard could probably help their defensive wounds, as a good face off man always can. Morrison gives them a center back that can play with Gagne to provide back some scoring. Along with the fact that Forsberg is in his last contract season, we shouldn't have to give up so many for him, heck maybe even just picks and prospects, and one or two of the players noted above.

Remember, Forsberg speaking out about the lack of change in Philly, if I was the GM of the Flyers, and your captain is speaking out to the MEDIA about the team's efforts, i'd throw him out of the town.

Nonis could very well offer Kelser's right at the end of the season? Could that be done in the CBA? Just say it's future considerations? Of course you wouldn't want Kelser knowing this.

We don't really need Forsberg now, put him on IR, I'm sure he has some kind of injury that we can sideline him til playoffs, that'll take care of the salary cap.

Playoffs, my friends, is THE reason why I brought this post up.

*Long Long Long time reader* *First time poster*
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Jelly wrote: We don't really need Forsberg now, put him on IR, I'm sure he has some kind of injury that we can sideline him til playoffs, that'll take care of the salary cap.
Awesome :)
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Good lord... the idea of Nazzy and Forsberg back together gives me chills... made me go watch this again:
Naslund Forsberg clip

Who knows if DN has any chance of pulling this trade off, but with Luongo in net and the twins... man would we look good.

best top 4 players. man, the twins and nazzy forsberg combo? gahaazaahkhj (My brain can not compute)
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Just throwing out a few points here:

1) its very debateable how much he has left in the tank, hes always been a fragile player, acctually hasn't accomplished much away from Colorado in that he couldn't lead a very good philly team out of the first round and quite frankly is overrated-although still one of the top 20 or so all time centers.

2) yes he would clearly make our team better, centering naslund it would give us two potent scoring lines, I have no doubt he would love to play with naslund as well.

3) He already said he wouldn't come to the Canucks because he wouldn't do that to the Colorado fans, although who knows what a couple years away from Colorado would have him thinking.

4) hes 34 years old, its highly doubtful he would get us close to being contenders this year regardless and its difficult to be optimistic about his future given his physical issues and the importance of the physical component to his game.

VERY unlikely to happen, and if it does it probably won't have a huge impact on a Canucks team that really isn't close to a cup.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Having read these and thought some more, this would be the only way I think it might happen, and even then, not only is it questionable if Philly would do it, but questionable if we should do it:

To Vancouver: Peter Forsberg

To Philly: Brendan Morrison, Matt Cooke, Cory Schneider (they could use a solid goaltender prospect while we not only have Luongo, but also Alexander Vincent and Julien Ellis, and to a lesser extent, Drew MacIntyre in the wings; they could also use a d-man, but we're not so rich there, and no way I'm giving up Bourdon)

http://hockeysfuture.com/team/philadelphia_flyers

Waive Marc Chouinard or offer him to Philly, and go with 12 forwards and 6 defensemen to make cap room.

Honestly, I think it might just be easier to try to fix what we have rather than try something like this.
Mark
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Grabbing Forsberg now is akin to grasping at straws. That's a body that's taken a beating and I think his hunger level has tailed off. Improving in the newish NHL means looking ahead, not back. I'd be much more interested in calling Doug McLean and asking if Gilbert Brule might be available.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

[quote="cerios"]Just throwing out a few points here:

3) He already said he wouldn't come to the Canucks because he wouldn't do that to the Colorado fans, although who knows what a couple years away from Colorado would have him thinking.

quote]

That was when he was a UFA, non? I don't think he has much choice in the matter when it's a trade.
Mark
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

SRsez wrote:
Backwash wrote:If Mitchell misses tonights and Tuesday game vs Detroit (his 10th game) doesn't that shed his salary for that period ($420,000)???
Isn't that another topic entirely?

But does that mean the team might hold him out even if he's ready for that game vs. the Wings?
I think he was referring to the cap issue, if we can knock off some of his salary, then that opens a bit of room to take up Forsberg.
Mark
Big Bird
AHL Prospect

why??

Post by Big Bird »

[quote="Bartman"][quote="stevethiessen"]
I say we bundle Kessler, the rights to Mika Norrenan, and a 2047 first round pick for Forsberg, Gagne and Richards. Why not? Sounds like a good trade for both teams and we can just ask the league for a varience in regards to the salary cap.[/quote]

Why in the world would Phily want to do this??
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: why??

Post by Jyrki21 »

Big Bird wrote:
Bartman wrote:
stevethiessen wrote: I say we bundle Kessler, the rights to Mika Norrenan, and a 2047 first round pick for Forsberg, Gagne and Richards. Why not? Sounds like a good trade for both teams and we can just ask the league for a varience in regards to the salary cap.
Why in the world would Phily want to do this??
It was sarcastic.