Forsberg wants out of Philly?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Forsberg wants out of Philly?

Post by Jelly »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=183671&hubname=nhl
"We've been talking about turning it around for a long time now," Forsberg said. "New start, new coach, everything. We've had a lot of chances to turn it around."
Now, we all know that Naslund and Forsberg can rip it up together, and there has been numerous rumors about them wanting to play together, hence the Naslund for Gagne trade rumors.

We lack the secondary scoring, and no matter what kind of a slump Forsberg is in, his skill set is still there, and could definitely give us a big boost. And may just be that one thing that will bring us the cup.

How will we do it? We gotta pull the trigger NOW, or else towards the deadline, another team will pick him up. He's listed as 5.75m and will be an UFA after this season's over.

Not going to go through the billion possible combinations, but with this pickup and possibly freeing up some cap space for next year, assuming we don't resign Forsberg, which we can use a lot in resigning Salo, and finding a RW.

This is a real stretch, and probably won't happen, but could we just imagine?

5 Swedes! We could fit them all onto a power play unit!
orts
CC Veteran

Re: Forsberg wants out of Philly?

Post by orts »

Jelly wrote:[url]
This is a real stretch, and probably won't happen, but could we just imagine?

Injury-prone, of course, and seems to be getting grumbly in his old age.

But I have always wanted so very badly for Forsberg to be a Canuck , and would certainly trade Cooke and Morrison for him. Where the other cap room would come from, no idea.

Unfortunately, a pipedream.
gmisinthegarage
MVP
MVP

Post by gmisinthegarage »

The cap really sucks, most of the time
You cook so slow you don't use a egg timer you use an Egg calendar.
Oh ya that's right I went there
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

He's nearly done. Why trade for him?
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Bulis - Forsberg - Naslund
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Pyatt
Green - Kesler - Burrows
Bouck - Chouinard - Linden
Rypien/Santala

Ohlund - Salo
Mitchell - Krajicek
Bieksa - Fitzpatrick
Edler/Coloumbe

Given the need to replace Cooke with a $500k guy, this would put us $1.5 million more than where we want to be. With Bourdon down and replaced with a guy about $300, maybe $400k cheaper, we're going to be at roughly $44.5 million. So we'd need to off-load about $1.5 million to have a bare minimum $1 million buffer, IMO. It IS possible, we could waive Chouinard (or include him in the Philly deal) and replace him with (brace yourselves) Rypien or Santala, saving us about $600k, and if we went with 12 forwards and 6 defensemen, only flying in people as needed to fill injuries (might be smart to keep a depth d-man and forward in Victoria for W. Coast games, the rest we'll take from Winterpeg), we'd be back at $43 million. That's a small cap buffer, a dangerous game to play on team depth, and still likely we'd need to sweeten the deal for Forsberg, possibly quite a bit, but again...

Bulis - Forsberg - Naslund
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Pyatt
Mark
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

orts wrote:

But I have always wanted so very badly for Forsberg to be a Canuck , and would certainly trade Cooke and Morrison for him.
Cooke, Morrison, and a shitload of other stuff (i.e. Bourdon, Schneider, 1st rounder(s)).
Backwash
AHL Prospect

Post by Backwash »

If Mitchell misses tonights and Tuesday game vs Detroit (his 10th game) doesn't that shed his salary for that period ($420,000)???
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Tukaram wrote:He's nearly done. Why trade for him?
I'm not sure if he's nearly done but even if he was, I'd still trade for him.

IF (and I guess that's a big IF) Forsberg can stay healthy, we would have...

a) Either the best or 2nd best center in the game
b) Either the best of 2nd best goalie in the game.
c) Either the best or 2nd best 1/2 punch at center with Henrik and Forsberg.

If we can have Forsberg here for just TWO years (him, Luongo, Naslund, and the Sedins'), that's TWO excellent chances of winning the Stanley Cup.

What's better, is that Forsberg can take a PIECE OF SHIT like Jan Bulis, and make him smell like roses.

I'd trade Bourdon, Schneider, 1st rounders, Morrison, Cooke, etc. to get the guy.....even if it's only for a limited time.

I'd EASILY take this risk. Look at how San Jose's season turned around when they acquired Joe Thornton.
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
orts wrote:

But I have always wanted so very badly for Forsberg to be a Canuck , and would certainly trade Cooke and Morrison for him.
Cooke, Morrison, and a shitload of other stuff (i.e. Bourdon, Schneider, 1st rounder(s)).
You misread the post; it doesn't end where you quoted it... After that was my point about more cap room, which it was obvious would have to come as part of the trade (yes, I didn't make that as clear as I could have, but it was there). Also note that I said it wasn't likely to happen :P

Even so, I'm not sure it would take as much as you might think for us to get Forsberg.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Im on the total opposite page. If anyshing we should try and move Naslund to Philly for some of their young talent. This team is in a rebuild and taking on the highpriced contract and injury issues of Forsberg is not an option.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

I love this idea,if we have any kind of chance of picking up forsberg i say we go for it.
This guy isn't done hes 33 he's gotta have at least 2 good years left in him, an he's wanted to play with his buddy markus for awhile now i think they would absolutly light it up together an give us a chance to make a cup run having two lines that can score an all.... An i think it's possible i mean if we were able to unload cooke an morrison on philly an which is a combined 4.7 mill right there, an possibly chouinard who's salary is at 1.1 mill which would bring that up to 5.8 mill which would cover forsbergs salary.But to tell you the truth i don't think they would want chouinard but anythings posssible now.
The key to the deal would be a guy like cory schneider ,i mean we don't really need him(luongo) an philly really does need help in the goaltending category now throw in a pick an we might have something cookin here, but something tells me philly will want kesler to reunite the former ohio state buckeye teamates.
I still think Nonis should give it a shot if he has any kind of chance hopefully he does...
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

Again, for all those still missing this point - Philly can't have Kesler. No one can, at least unitl next season.

And I'd be willing to listen to any options for Forsberg, but would be loathe to send Bourdon. I haven't given up on the kid yet.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Backwash wrote:If Mitchell misses tonights and Tuesday game vs Detroit (his 10th game) doesn't that shed his salary for that period ($420,000)???
Isn't that another topic entirely?

But does that mean the team might hold him out even if he's ready for that game vs. the Wings?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

magnum44 wrote:Im on the total opposite page. If anyshing we should try and move Naslund to Philly for some of their young talent.
Yes and.....
m44 wrote:This team is in a rebuild and taking on the highpriced contract and injury issues of Forsberg is not an option.
No. It is an option, just a terribly bad one.

We're not really rebuilding, rather evolving.

Moving Naslund is something I've been pushing for for two years now. Him moving would have made the evolution to a Sedin led team apparent a year ago, and given us a greater value return.

I'd trade him for Gagne in a heartbeat.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

stevethiessen wrote:Again, for all those still missing this point - Philly can't have Kesler. No one can, at least unitl next season.
Let's not let little things like CBA rules, Cap contraints or logic get in the way of a good trade proposal. :lol:

I say we bundle Kessler, the rights to Mika Norrenan, and a 2047 first round pick for Forsberg, Gagne and Richards. Why not? Sounds like a good trade for both teams and we can just ask the league for a varience in regards to the salary cap.
R.I.P. Luc.