What would it take to get Burkie back?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

yammi
CC Veteran

What would it take to get Burkie back?

Post by yammi »

Now that McCaw is out of the picture, I wonder how much interest there would be in bringing Burke back to the fold if Nonis should falter over the next couple of years?

I imagine it would be difficult now because Burkie is pretty comfortable and happy with the cup contender he's building in Anaheim, and perhaps this is just a dream for Vancouver fans now.

Of course for the worst of the media weasels like Gallagher and Pratt who will never ever have a good thing to say about the guy, Burke's return would be more nightmare than dream ... but those guys are clueless at the best of times and probably don't even realize the extent to which their careers were built from having a guy like Burkie around to whine about.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Probably ownership of the team and an unlimited budget with no cap, otherwise he'll probably have to suffer in the California winter with those freezing 25 degree days and 22 degree nights, forcing himself to squeeze his orange juice fresh from his own backyard tree. Why would he ever consider a return to here from being on top of the NHL??? Surely this is a tongue in cheek question.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

He'll never come back.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

I thought this was about Sean Burke.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Tukaram wrote:I thought this was about Sean Burke.
lol !!

Can't see "the real" Burke coming back here in a long time ... if in fact he ever is back.

Grizz
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

He's got a much better team down there, with a brighter future than we do. He'll stay in Cali.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I'd like to see Burke back! If only to piss off the media that didn't like him because like Todd Bertuzzi he wasn't warm and fuzzy.

But the main reason would be that he is a much better G.M than Nonis . I think Nonis shit the bed this off season. Getting Luongo was great but that was it.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

HappyCanuck wrote:Probably ownership of the team and an unlimited budget with no cap, otherwise he'll probably have to suffer in the California winter with those freezing 25 degree days and 22 degree nights, forcing himself to squeeze his orange juice fresh from his own backyard tree. Why would he ever consider a return to here from being on top of the NHL??? Surely this is a tongue in cheek question.
That's really pushing it. I'm sure temperature in OC falls below 15 degrees C at night in winter. ;)

Edit: In fact, it could be below 45F, around 7 degrees C
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Nonis has made some questionable calls (Chouinard, Cooke, Morrison), but had a great move (Luongo) and several solid ones (Ohlund and Salo's contracts, the vision to sign Burrows and Bieksa to one-way deals in order to get them under multi-year contracts when most wanted them on a one-year/two-way, Krajicek, Pyatt), so I'm happy with him. His pick of Vigneault I like, his drafting I like, it's too early to judge him, but so far, he's positive on balance.
Mark
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I've really been impressed with DN. He's done the moves the franchise needed, and I firmly believe he's just biding his time in hopes of getting a good deal for Morrison. I think he placed too much faith in Cooke's abilities, but he's on record as saying he would trade ANYONE if it made the team better. I like it, hopefully a team like Ottawa panics and we can unload some players and dead weight onto them.

We're doing just fine without BB. He inheritted a great team, made a good deal for Pronger and Marchant/Beachemin (sp). I don't think it rivals the Luongo deal. We definatlely made off like Kings in that one...Luongo/Krajicek > Bertuzzi/Allen/Auld.