Will Bourdon Be Demoted?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Will Bourdon Be Demoted?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 23

WCE
MVP
MVP

Will Bourdon Be Demoted?

Post by WCE »

With 9 games under his belt, if 19 year old Bourdon suits up for the Ducks' game on Thursday he will be with us the rest of the year.

Interesting, out of nowhere the play of Edler has seemingly vaulted him up the depth charts and past Bourdon.

El Vino agrees if you look at their ice time, particularly from tonights game against a deep Dallas team:

Edler - 16:46
Bourdon - 7:25

So the question is not whether or not you want or think it should happen, but if you think it actually will happen.

Will Bourdon be demoted? Or, will injuries to Mitchell and Salo force us to keep him around the entire season?

This will be an interesting story to watch the next 2 days.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

I think he'll be sent back.

I'm basing that on nothing; just a hunch. :D
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

I think that if Mitchell and/or Salo come back on Thursday against the Ducks, Bourdon goes. I really think he needs some more seasoning.

Will he go back to junior or the Moose?
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Kowch wrote:I think that if Mitchell and/or Salo come back on Thursday against the Ducks, Bourdon goes. I really think he needs some more seasoning.

Will he go back to junior or the Moose?
He can't go to the Moose because he's still eligible for junior.

IMO if someone is healthy, or a trade is pulled off by Thursday then Bourdon will be sent down.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

I think he should stay. but he'll probly go back.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Hercules_Rockefeller
CC Rookie

Post by Hercules_Rockefeller »

Bourdon is not NHL ready. If he was, he'd be getting more than 8 mins of ice per game and he'd be outplaying perrenial all-star Rory Fitzpatrick.

If Bourdon was AHL eligible, he wouldn't be on the Canucks right now, but as it stands, he's stuck in a kind of limbo. Junior won't do him much good, and he's not getting much gametime experience in the bigs, so what do you do with him?

The CHL/NHL pact and the CBA decided this one for us
Last edited by Hercules_Rockefeller on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Dangerous Dan.
lil-scarface
AHL Prospect

Post by lil-scarface »

i know it has only been 9 games but Bourdon has just shown hes not ready, like hercules said hes not outplaying rory fitzpatrick which means that he shoudnt be here right now. he should go back to develop more and then maybe hell be ready next year.
Carlos
krutov
AHL Prospect

Post by krutov »

Two games is not much to go on but Edler looks far and away better that Luc. It will be a gamble to keep Edler and send Luc back but that will allow us to keep Luc another year down the road. I know we all had high hopes for Luc to be a mini Phaneuf but he is not there yet .

Edler I would imagine would also save us 300,000 as well. If Ohlund could mentor little Alex for a year things are looking rosy on our back end.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Probably sent back

... question though ... if he does stay for the entirety of this year how does that impact him for next year ? Can we choose to have him play in the minors or does he have to go through waivers ... I thought there was some kind of catch for next year too.

Grizz
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Grizzly wrote:Probably sent back

... question though ... if he does stay for the entirety of this year how does that impact him for next year ? Can we choose to have him play in the minors or does he have to go through waivers ... I thought there was some kind of catch for next year too.

Grizz
I had thought that for entry level contracts they can go up and down for the entirety. Not sure though.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think he stays.

Time in the juniors will do him no good. It's a safe bet that we will have more injuries this year, and he can increase his ice time then. He is young and still getting over his injury. If Salo and Mitchell are both back, sit him next game, see how he does with a bit of rest (and a couple practices at home) and decide later. the first month was almost all on the road, and I think the travell might have gotten to him a bit... you never know..

I would think even just being around some of the leadership we have will be good for him and will help his development more than excelling in the juniors. If he is still getting less than 10 minutes a night at christmas time, loan him to The World Junior team where he can log a ton of minutes in presure games. I just think that at his level, he is wasted at the junior level.

Edler was called up to fill the hole caused by excesive injuries. keep him up for one more game to ease Mitchell and Salo back into the lineup and then make a decision on Luc for saturday.

Now, if he could be sent to the Moose, it would be a different story...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I agree with MCP.

There's no point in sending him back to a league where he's already much, much better than the rest of his peers. I like the idea of loaning him to Canada for the WJC's. We'll be able to see how he handles the #1 and leadership roles.

Once February hits, send him to the Moose ASAP and let him log some big minutes. And then next year maybe let him spend a year in the AHL before letting him make the big jump. A year in the AHL does wonders. No sense rushing prospects that have as much potential as Bourdon does.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I'd like to see him stay...

If he is sent down to junior, only a trade to the Giants would make me happy again...

Take care...
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Just wondering, if Luc stays and Edler continues to impress, do you think Fitzpatrick will be demoted? Can he be demoted?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

He's not getting enough experience playing 8-9 minutes a game when he's not in the press-box. Hell of a way to waste one of 7 years we have him as an RFA. Let him go back to Junior, rehab his leg, get his confidence back and let him play a bigger role at the WJC. If it weren't for him only being able to go to the Juniors, this wouldn't even be a debate.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.