Holy Smoking Danish Batman!!!! - Alexander Edler!!!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Holy Smoking Danish Batman!!!! - Alexander Edler!!!

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Is anyone else impressed after two periods!?!?!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I was, and evidently so was Vigneault. Edler was out in the dying minutes of the third against Colorado. The kid played a poised game out there and certainly out-performed Bourdon. Whenever Salo and Mitchell come back send Bourdon back to junior (shame that that's the only place we can send him) and keep Edler up if he keeps playing like he did tonight.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Edler was downright spectacular tonight... at least relative to expectations. I expected something along the lines of Bourdon but Edler looked much more comfortable out there and completely poised. Hopefully this wasn't a one game aberration. Canucks could really use him if he plays the way he did tonight.

On another note, wow has Bieksa really impressed me. He looks absolutely phenomenal out there. I really couldn't have predicted that given how he looked last year. The play where he coughed up the puck for a 2 on 1 only to hustle back and intercept the floating pass says it all, to me. Great hustle, great energy. With the exception of Bourdon (who to his credit didn't look so bad tonight) the D has really exceeded expectations.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Yea, I was pretty happy with our D for the most part tonight considering the loss of Mitchell and Salo. I thought Edler looked great, very confident, good legs, made some great defensive plays for his first NHL game. Lets hope it's not begginers luck and he becomes the solid rookie defenseman we were hoping Bourdon would be. When the Salo and Mitchell comeback, if Edler keeps up this play he'd look great staying with the club instead of Fitzpatrick/Bourdon.

Now if we could only get soe more scoring!
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

rockalt wrote:.. the D has really exceeded expectations.
Ain't that the truth :)

I really hope they can keep it going. We really need it.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Smoking Danish? :? Wouldn't that be better for Jannik Hansen? :lol:

Edler was awesome tonight. Definite bright spot.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Jyrki21 wrote:Smoking Danish? :? Wouldn't that be better for Jannik Hansen? :lol:

Edler was awesome tonight. Definite bright spot.
Hey, I wouldn't mind seeing Hansen up here too. He may surprise a few people too and can't be any worse than some of the forwards right now. If the veterans aren't producing, maybe it's time to give the kids a chance.
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

What a pleasant surprise to see how steady Edler was in Colorado ... his level of play was better than what we've seen for Bourdon.

Also, I would argue that Edler's level of play in his debut game was better than what we've seen from Fitzpatrick too ... Fitzpatrick has been right up there with Bulis as the "goat" in recent games (e.g., brilliant move by Rory in Colorado slashing a guy in the face while the Canucks were already getting one penalty for Krajicek's hook).

If he keeps it up, it wouldn't surprise me to see Edler stick here and Luc get sent back to Halifax when Salo and Mitchell come back ... and, if this happens, wouldn't it be great to see Edler get time on the 3rd D pairing and push Fitzpatrick back to #7 (where he would do less damage).
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

He did well, but it was just one game.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

yammi wrote:What a pleasant surprise to see how steady Edler was in Colorado ... his level of play was better than what we've seen for Bourdon.

If he keeps it up, it wouldn't surprise me to see Edler stick here and Luc get sent back to Halifax when Salo and Mitchell come back ... and, if this happens, wouldn't it be great to see Edler get time on the 3rd D pairing and push Fitzpatrick back to #7 (where he would do less damage).
Here's what I believe Dave Nonis should do:

1. Send Bourdon back to junior. Why waste a year of this guy's time if he can't be relied on to play at least 12 minutes a game?

2. Let Edler play with the big club a little bit more (see how he does) but inevitably send him back to the Moose so he can continue to work on his game. Like Bourdon, don't rush the guy. Notice that Bieksa has gotten better....that's what spending some quality time in the AHL in all game situations can do for a guy's career.

3. Pick up another defenseman who can be your #5/6 and push Fitzpatrick back to be the 7th defenseman. Pickups can include trades dealing a draft pick or a current roster player. I'm starting to wonder about Matt Cooke, but his contract may be too rich for what he does. Maybe Marc Crawrford could use him, except Avery and Cooke hate each other.

A few spare guys out there include Bryan Muir and Steve Montador (neither of which are great). Vishnevski would have been a nice pickup when Burke didn't want to pay him the arbitration decision but I doubt Burke wanted to help a team in the same conference even though he and Nonis are friends.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

These are all great suggestions, but time is of the essence. Like I stated in another thread, unfortunately, he'll probably be up for the year because of the injury situation. Monday will be his 9th game. Unless Bourdon is sat out on Thursday (which would be his 10th game) then his contract will count for this year. Unless Salo and or Mitchell is healthy by Thursday or a trade is pulled off, it looks like Bourdon is up for the year. I realize if Bourdon is sent down to juniors after his 10th game, it counts as a year of service, but does his salary still count against the cap?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Bourdon should be sent down, keep Edler up for another 8 games and send him down to. There is no point in having these guys here, it will hamper their development while at best helping the team a minuscule amount. Their is no upside to having them up.
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

cerios wrote:Bourdon should be sent down, keep Edler up for another 8 games and send him down to. There is no point in having these guys here, it will hamper their development while at best helping the team a minuscule amount. Their is no upside to having them up.
Wrong.

There might not be any future upside for them in terms of their future development (that is debatable, certainly there is some, just not enough), but there is upside in playing them right now in regards to the current Canucks.

The upside to them playing here and now is that it allows us to ice the best team possible. That is a statement to what is waiting in the wings down on the farm - a sad one at that.

It might be a shortsighted move, but it isn't one that Nonis and Co. are struggling to try and solve for no reason.

Current upside vs future upside.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Edler played well...for a first NHL game. But he still has a lot to learn. I expect him to be a callup this year only when Tremblay is hurt and next year be the first call up and maybe even stick by the end of the year in 07/08. I expect him to make the roster from camp in '08. That's if he continues to progress. It was nice to see that he indeed has the skills to play in the NHL so let's hope those skills keep developing.

Bourdon...you know I think he's settled down the last few games. He still looks out of his league but just as Edler played a good game against the Avs, so to did Bourdon IMO. Neither one hurt the team from what I saw. I'm undecided on Bourdon being sent down or not. I don't think he's going to learn much in the Q at this point. When he makes coverage mistakes he can recover in that league, and, as a result, I think he may continue to play a high risk game. And really, a lot of that is up to the coach in Moncton...if the coach wants him to be a gambler that is the role he will play. That is not the role I think the canucks want bourdon playing right now. I do think he's learning an awful lot being with the big club judging from his last few games. And I believe he can be sent down to the AHL in february. I have no problems if they do that. Keep him on the roster as the #7 guy, lone him the Team Canada for the WJHC and then send him to the Moose mid-Feb.

And let's not get down on the poor kid. There is 1 D-man in the NHL that comes from his draft year (Vlasic), and only 5 forwards from his draft year in the NHL (Crosby, Kopitar, Brule, Stastny, Latendresse). And arguably Brule and Latendresse are not ready for the NHL at this time either but their teams have decided another year in junior does them no good. Instead they get about 10 minutes a night and nothing more.

So let's give the kid time and wait to see how exactly his development is handled this year. And certainly let's not be so quick to write off a 19 year old kid coming off a serious injury at this time. He still has loads of potential...just as much as people thought before camp began.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I agree. Ideally Bourdon should be in the AHl this year but that is not an option. Personally I would put him back to junior just for the WJC and to "let him dominate" as DN said last year (Bourdons injury & being traded kind of screwed up his chance to really dominate last year). With a taste of the NHL and the first hand experience and knowledge of what he needs to work on I think another year in junior would be better for all parties. Being so tight up against the cap an extra few hundred k from demoting Bourdon will benefit the team, and we get to keep his rights for an extra year when he will probably be making a real contribution to the team. Edler looked good in his first game and is a better fit due to his AHL callup status and lower contract.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever