Overreact much?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

yammi
CC Veteran

Overreact much?

Post by yammi »

The tone of posts on this board have sure grown negative this week. Naslund is not an elite player. Salo is brittle. Ohlund is not a top defenceman and is going downhill fast. Although he looked smart before Salo's injury and the two losses to Nashville and Minnesota, Nonis doesn't know what he's doing after all.

What percentage of the games have been played so far? Maybe 17%? One of the things that most baseball fans (with their 162 game schedule) appreciate that hockey fans are not nearly as sensitive to is that it's a long season boys, and a couple of losses in the first week in November are no reason to panic and overreact like a bunch of David Pratts.

The Canucks will have injuries and losing streaks, and they'll struggle to find chemistry after all the personnel changes and switch from the Crawford system to the Vigneault system. But all signs point to an improved team heading into the stretch drive. Personally, I think that new combination of Naslund, Kesler, and Cooke has promise because they all seem to be most effective playing the hard-charging, high-speed style (and are better at it than Bulis).
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Re: Overreact much?

Post by DavidPratt_ »

yammi wrote:The tone of posts on this board have sure grown negative this week. Naslund is not an elite player. Salo is brittle. Ohlund is not a top defenceman and is going downhill fast. Although he looked smart before Salo's injury and the two losses to Nashville and Minnesota, Nonis doesn't know what he's doing after all.

The Canucks will have injuries and losing streaks, and they'll struggle to find chemistry after all the personnel changes and switch from the Crawford system to the Vigneault system. But all signs point to an improved team heading into the stretch drive. Personally, I think that new combination of Naslund, Kesler, and Cooke has promise because they all seem to be most effective playing the hard-charging, high-speed style (and are better at it than Bulis).
I've said it once, and I'll say it again: this is not a division-winning or conference-winning team. The Canucks will fight to get into the playoffs but I believe they will make it. However, IF the Canucks make it, their defense is intact and the Sedins/Naslund are firing on all cylinders, with Luongo in goal, this team could actually win the Stanely Cup.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Sorry, but Salo is brittle. He was traded here with a bum shoulder, he hurt that shoulder again in the Olympics, and is on his second injury this year already. Bad luck or a pattern?

It's no negative, it's stating a fact.

Some of the other stuff maybe far fetched, I.E. Naslund not being an elite player, but if you expect things to be positive all the time, you'll be disapointed. :)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hey, if you want to see negative posts, check out a King's forum. Now they Crawford and Cloutier, they're screaming that end times are near.\

This team could go 82-0 and people would still complain.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

DavidPratt_ wrote:I've said it once, and I'll say it again: this is not a division-winning or conference-winning team.
First of all, no one ever thought this team was going to win the conference. No one. Period.

Secondly, were you not one of the brilliant bunch calling the Flames the division winning club before the season started?

Thirdly, and probably most importantly: In actuality, this Canucks team has just as much chance of winning the division as any other. And that has remained the same since before the year began.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Brian CC wrote:Sorry, but Salo is brittle. He was traded here with a bum shoulder, he hurt that shoulder again in the Olympics, and is on his second injury this year already. Bad luck or a pattern?

Some of the other stuff maybe far fetched, I.E. Naslund not being an elite player, but if you expect things to be positive all the time, you'll be disapointed. :)
I don't think it's fair to say he's brittle. Certainly, I agree that it was a fair accusation during his Ottawa days as he somehow managed to be injured all the time. Prior to last season when he took that nasty shoulder injury he had played two full seasons (79 and 74 games respectively) and was well on his way to his third complete season with the Canucks before some bad luck.

I think in Salo's case there is a legitimate fear that he could return to this earlier "brittle" days. Let's see how the season plays out however, before labelling him such. I think the problem is he's under the microscope because of his history of injury but now more than ever, because of his immense value to the team.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

If this same team, player for player, wore Colorado Avalanche or Edmonton Oiler jerseys, I think people in the hockey media would take them more seriously. I'm being sincere... Vancouver has essentially been in every game and has been quite unlucky not to have taken a couple more of the close ones. They haven't really been outclassed by anyone (that could change tonight, due to injuries).

It's probably not a "division-winning team" because they don't have the firepower, but people forget that in a capped league, EVERY team is full of holes. The only one who get a little ahead of the game are the Buffalo-type teams which jell at exactly the right time while the players are still cheap. (Same thing happened in Vancouver in the early Crawford years). But the Sabres will have to be brokem up soon enough, too... there's no such thing as a complete team anymore.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

SRsez wrote:
DavidPratt_ wrote:I've said it once, and I'll say it again: this is not a division-winning or conference-winning team.
First of all, no one ever thought this team was going to win the conference. No one. Period.

Secondly, were you not one of the brilliant bunch calling the Flames the division winning club before the season started?

Thirdly, and probably most importantly: In actuality, this Canucks team has just as much chance of winning the division as any other. And that has remained the same since before the year began.
Calgary is going through a tough spell right now. The guy they rely on the most - Kiprusoff hasn't been the same guy he typically is. As for winning the division, I don't believe so. I'd rather have this team than last year's any day, but the depth on the team is limited, particularly on the blueline. An extended injury to an Ohlund or Salo could mean a lot of missed points with a lack of quality replacements.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Calgary is going through a tough spell right now. The guy they rely on the most - Kiprusoff hasn't been the same guy he typically is.
He started slow last year too ... coaching change for them ... a couple new players ... I don't doubt they will come around.

Brian CC wrote:
Sorry, but Salo is brittle. He was traded here with a bum shoulder, he hurt that shoulder again in the Olympics, and is on his second injury this year already. Bad luck or a pattern?

Some of the other stuff maybe far fetched, I.E. Naslund not being an elite player, but if you expect things to be positive all the time, you'll be disapointed.

I don't think it's fair to say he's brittle. Certainly, I agree that it was a fair accusation during his Ottawa days as he somehow managed to be injured all the time. Prior to last season when he took that nasty shoulder injury he had played two full seasons (79 and 74 games respectively) and was well on his way to his third complete season with the Canucks before some bad luck.
Salo's stats ...

1998-99 Ottawa Senators NHL 61 7 12 19 24 4 0 0 0 0
1999-00 Ottawa Senators NHL 37 6 8 14 2 6 1 1 2 0
2000-01 Ottawa Senators NHL 31 2 16 18 10 4 0 0 0 0
2001-02 Ottawa Senators NHL 66 4 14 18 14 12 2 1 3 4
2002-03 Vancouver Canucks NHL 79 9 21 30 10 12 1 3 4 0
2003-04 Vancouver Canucks NHL 74 7 19 26 22 7 1 2 3 2
2005-06 Vancouver Canucks NHL 59 10 23 33 38 -- -- -- -- --

Judge for yourself I guess ... He certainly isn't an ironman anyways.

Grizz
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Grizzly wrote: Salo's stats ...

1998-99 Ottawa Senators NHL 61 7 12 19 24 4 0 0 0 0
1999-00 Ottawa Senators NHL 37 6 8 14 2 6 1 1 2 0
2000-01 Ottawa Senators NHL 31 2 16 18 10 4 0 0 0 0
2001-02 Ottawa Senators NHL 66 4 14 18 14 12 2 1 3 4
2002-03 Vancouver Canucks NHL 79 9 21 30 10 12 1 3 4 0
2003-04 Vancouver Canucks NHL 74 7 19 26 22 7 1 2 3 2
2005-06 Vancouver Canucks NHL 59 10 23 33 38 -- -- -- -- --

Judge for yourself I guess ... He certainly isn't an ironman anyways.

Grizz
No he's not but look at his stats in Vancouver. Aside from last year he's played a respectable amount of games. 79 and 74 games is hardly something to gawk at. Until last year's season ending shoulder injury he was on pace for a third consecutive complete (relatively at least) season.

So while I think the fear of him returning to his injury plagued Ottawa days is legitimate, I don't think it's fair to say at this point that he's brittle. What has he missed this year, 2 games? If the injury woes continue, then it's probably fair to say he's brittle. I admit, I'm afraid of that happening but unless it happens I'm holding off on calling him brittle.