Defensemen

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Defensemen

Post by MarkMM »

There was this rumour of Cooke for Volchenkov...

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/ ... 7-sun.html

*edit* - the link seems broken, this was a sample I took from another board:

"There's whispers the Canucks are looking for blueline help and called the Senators to see about the availability of D Anton Volchenkov ... The Canucks are trying to sign D Sami Salo, who will be an unrestricted free agent next year and is currently making $1.5 million ... "

Nonis apparently shot it down, but with Mitchell out and Salo having possible troubles, Bourdon not ready, Tremblay hurt and Coloumbe inconsistent, and this on top of our defense being relatively shallow (we're really lucky Bieksa and Krajicek are as solid as they are), who is out there that we can and should get? Our options are either send Bourdon down and use his $850k to pick up a UFA (not a lot of good pickings out there for that), or else a trade, I would've done Cooke for Volchenkov in a heartbeat, use Rypien in his place (when he's back), I doubt it would work but if we had to throw Noronen's rights in there I'd do it, not saying it'll happen, but I'd love it.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Pyatt
Bulis - Morrison - Naslund
Rypien - Kesler - Burrows
Green - Chouinard - Linden
Bouck

Ohlund - Salo
Mitchell - Volchenkov
Krajicek - Bieksa
Fitzpatrick

I love this defense, Rypien can do Cooke's job in a manner of speaking, but for $1 million less, both Bouck and Rypien can fight, adding a dimension of toughness, I'd think long and hard about this trade (we'd need to sweeten the pie a bit IMO, but not sure how far I'd go with picks/prospects which we should hold on to).

Aside from that, anyone else have an eye for a defenseman? Who'd we have to give up? Or is there a UFA for $850k?
Mark
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Not that Cooke's lighting it up out there, but I don't know where people get this idea that Rypien can fill Cooke's shoes. Rypien never impressed me on his call-ups. Honestly I see him as 4th line material. That said, Volchenkov could do a lot for our blueline so the question is can we take a loss from our forwards to make way for Volchenkov's salary? Which are we more hurting for, scoring support or defensive depth? I think Cooke has more potential to help on offense than Rypien, he just needs to start burying those chances.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

This rumour is likely to pick up momentum now that Salo is injured or playing on one leg
cheers
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I don't think Rypien has Cooke's offensive upside, and if Cooke was showing more offensive flair, then I'd be loathe to trade him. At this point, however, we're paying him $1.5 million to throw hits, and Rypien can do that while also fighting, or else Bouck, maybe Brown in a year, the point being that if Cooke's just going to be a third-line checker, we have other guys who can do that for a million less, though I do agree, with less skill.

The problem I see with the trade is that I actually don't see Ottawa going for it, but you never know...I also am wondering who else we might be able to pick up, I don't get a chance to watch too many other games so I'm not on top of who might be an expendable but attractive defenseman.
Mark
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Not that Cooke's lighting it up out there, but I don't know where people get this idea that Rypien can fill Cooke's shoes
Well from what I have seen so far this year ... I don't think it would take much at all to fill Cooke's shoes ... especially for 1.5 a year ... maybe its just me but Cooke has been pretty much invisible ... not scoring or really stirring the pot ...

... although I did think that the Cooke/Kesler/Burrows line played as well as I have seen them all year last nite in the first against Minnesota.

I'd take Volchenkov though ... !!

Grizz
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

well since Cooke is not going to be that 70 point guy his agent bragged about to get him this contract. We could use depth on D since he is not doing much and Salo is now out with a Knee injury.

we are in trouble on the blue
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

MarkMM wrote: The problem I see with the trade is that I actually don't see Ottawa going for it, but you never know...I also am wondering who else we might be able to pick up, I don't get a chance to watch too many other games so I'm not on top of who might be an expendable but attractive defenseman.
That is the problem. How can Ottawa move a guy who is poised to become a top 4 D-man in this league for a third liner? It would be nice and I'd do the trade in a heartbeat from the canucks perspective but can't for th elife of me understand why Ottawa would do it. UNless there was a another decent asset going to Ottawa.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

tantalum wrote:
MarkMM wrote: The problem I see with the trade is that I actually don't see Ottawa going for it, but you never know...I also am wondering who else we might be able to pick up, I don't get a chance to watch too many other games so I'm not on top of who might be an expendable but attractive defenseman.
That is the problem. How can Ottawa move a guy who is poised to become a top 4 D-man in this league for a third liner? It would be nice and I'd do the trade in a heartbeat from the canucks perspective but can't for th elife of me understand why Ottawa would do it. UNless there was a another decent asset going to Ottawa.
Yep ... I agree Tant ... I would also imagine if they are going for a guy like Volchenko that there will be another asset or draft pick thrown in.

... lets stay tuned ... cause if Salo is out for any length of time DN pretty much has to make some kind of deal.

Grizz