Join me in Celebrating the Futility of the Calgary Flames

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mr. Bure #10
AHL Prospect

Join me in Celebrating the Futility of the Calgary Flames

Post by Mr. Bure #10 »

As a Canucks fan, I am very happy the Flames are stinking up the joint early in the season. It looks like their boring defensive style is backfiring on them.

Since I live in Calgary and have to endure the stupidity of Flamers fans day in and day out, I find solace in making this post.

Nothing would make me happier than to have the Flames endure a disappointing, injury-riddled season like the Canucks did last year. Maybe it would bring those losers down to earth. It's still early but a guy can wish can't he?
:twisted:

I am liking the new work ethic of the Canucks. They still have a long way to go but they have one thing the team last year didn't have.......HEART! Go CANUCKS Go!
Flames Hater
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Enjoy it now...they started like this last year and still did alright.

And for the record, I don't really condone calling other teams fans here "losers", so I ask you refrain in doing so.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Exactly, remember - they had a longer season last year.

Also, I'd never wish that players get injured.

Still, I hope they miss the playoffs and have a bad year.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mr. Bure #10
AHL Prospect

Post by Mr. Bure #10 »

I apologize for hurting the feelings of all Flames fans by calling them losers. Personally I don't think that is an inappropriate comment on a posting. Besides I've heard Canuck fans here in Cowtown be called a hell of alot worse.

And for the interpretation of hoping that their players get injured, I was trying to make a point about the Canucks season of having injuries contribute to them missing the playoffs.

I will also refrain from posting anything negative about the Flames from now on. I thought we were supposed to despise our rivals and enjoy it when they hit hard times....I guess not. I shouldn't have to feel guilty for that last posting, I've seen a lot worse comments made with no retribution from an administrator. Brutal.
Flames Hater
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Mr. Bure.... coming from Southern Alberta.... i feel for ya buddy! my roomate is a die hard flames fan and to see her mope around a bit like a i did for most of last season.... helps heals those wounds. I dont hope that everyone gets hurt, but i would like to see their team have some challenges to conquer.... Kipper doesnt have to be hurt to play bad... he has an off season and so will they.

And i know how tough it can be.... being a nucks fan in calgary lol, every time i go to the saddledome for a game it always seems im surrounded by flames fans.... so this time.... Boxing day, nucks vs. flames.... when the canucks crush em' i hope im surrounded by flamers...so i can LAUGH at them!!
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

Speaking of work ethic, I think that is one of the problems with the Flames. The 2003-2004 team had tons of work ethic and grit. And combined with the rodeo hockey they played (hooking, holding, interference) that lead to their Stanley Cup run.
This years team seems a bit more talented, but they sure aren't working as hard. And I hope they don't snap out of it, and that they do miss the playoffs. After seeing all of the Cpuck predictions how they would win the division easily, it would be great to see them ultimately miss the playoffs.

And an off topic note, the other day I saw a clip of Brendan Morrison's overtime winner in game 6 of the 2003-2004 playoffs. Watching the 30 second sequence before he scores the goal, I counted about 6 holds, picks, etc. that would have been penalties nowadays and were not called. No wonder a team that was so low on talent was able to go so far.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I thought Kiprusoff was going to have an off year last year too ... as mentioned above he started slow and so did the rest of the team ... once they got rolling they were a decent team.

Note also they have a new coach this year so there will be some adjustments to make before everyone is completely on the same page.

Grizz
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

lol im just thinking the more teams that play terrible and play their way out of the playoffs.... well that just gives us more space to get in there!!
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

While I hated the nature of Flames Hockey the year they went to the finals I really don't understand the hatred for Calgary at this point, they were a one year wonder. I think thats been pretty well born out at this point. They are a good team roughly on par with this Canucks team and playing the same lame style. We have a little more up front and they have a little more in back but it would be hard for me to insult Calgary and their style and not insult our own.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Brian CC wrote:And for the record, I don't really condone calling other teams fans here "losers", so I ask you refrain in doing so.
Yes, we require you to use the correct terms "idiots" & "morons".

The Flames two seasons of smoke & mirrors are over. They have Iginla, Kiprusoff & Phaneuf, when he grows up. They are not a good team by any stretch of the imagination, and their new coach isn't going to help any more than a Sakic-less Tanguay.

And what really burns is how almost 100% of the success Calgary achieved the past two seasons was entirely the work of inept coaching & leadership on the parts of the Canucks.

So yes, I'll join you in wishing them the worst of luck. And no, I'm not above wishing them long term injury. They should be the most hated team in hockey, for just about reason you care to mention.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Mr. Bure #10 wrote:II've seen a lot worse comments made with no retribution from an administrator. Brutal.
Are you sure it's the same board/forum? Also, Brian seems to demand more out of Canucks fans than others. He's worked hard to keep this the best forum for intelligent and civil discussions, and let's keep it this way.
Mr. Bure #10
AHL Prospect

Post by Mr. Bure #10 »

Kel, are you calling me unintelligent? I made a posting on the website for discussion. I thought, why not talk about our biggest rival and and incite some Canuck pride. Never in a million years did I think it would get the reaction it did.

Before critiquing a comment as unintelligent and uncivil, you should realize we are talking about.....Hockey. I am a passionate fan and I am sure as hell going to voice my opinion among fellow Canuck fans.

I actually think your comment is out of line and offensive. If you don't like what you read, move on. Comment on hockey or else find a message board where guys can express their fragile feelings and be politically correct. I heard the Flames site is looking for members.
Flames Hater
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

It's too early to dig the Flames' grave just yet.

Nothing wrong with warming up the shovels though. ;)
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Mr. Bure #10 wrote:Kel, are you calling me unintelligent? I made a posting on the website for discussion. I thought, why not talk about our biggest rival and and incite some Canuck pride. Never in a million years did I think it would get the reaction it did.

Before critiquing a comment as unintelligent and uncivil, you should realize we are talking about.....Hockey. I am a passionate fan and I am sure as hell going to voice my opinion among fellow Canuck fans.

I actually think your comment is out of line and offensive. If you don't like what you read, move on. Comment on hockey or else find a message board where guys can express their fragile feelings and be politically correct. I heard the Flames site is looking for members.
Look, I don't really care if you think it's brutal or not. I can't read every post on the board, so if others have gotten away with it, then so be it. Perhaps you need to read the rules of the site again.

I haven't built this site to have the most visitors. There is a quality group of fans that come here because they don't like the anything goes mentality of other boards. I choose to work with the owners of other sites, not against them, and I ask that people that visit here treat each other with respect and represent this site in a good light on other boards. If you want to call people losers, morons or idiots there are plenty of boards that will let you do so.

You're not hard done by, and my request was not brutal.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I wonder how much of the Flames brutal play so far has been the result of Playfair's coaching, or the lack of a Sutter behind the bench? I'm sure he's not very far behind the curtains at any rate.

We all know they weren't going to score 4 goals/game, but something tells me this is going to be a long year in reverse for them. (At least I hope so, because every other NW team is doing alright...and we need someone to suck for us to get in).

Maybe this is just Kipper having a post-vezina let-down, but I think it's deeper than that. The Flames never had the talent of the 2001-2005 Canucks, so to expect them to be a great team for more than a couple years might've been asking too much from a group of mediocre talent...or maybe the success went to their head, like it did with so many of their fans.