IIHF agrees with . . . Don Cherry???

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

IIHF agrees with . . . Don Cherry???

Post by Meerschaum »

Wow. The International Ice Hockey Federation issued a report today about the world-wide development of professional players and reached an interesting conclusion . . .

. . . that the number of European players in the NHL should be reduced by about 10% and replaced by North American players.

The report is also critical of teenage European players who play in the North American major junior leagues to "adapt" to the North American game and lifestyle and then don't ever make an impact at the NHL level.

Here's a couple of stories about it.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... lobeSports

LINK

Now, when Cherry says it - he's dismissed as a xenophobic, jingoistic, politically incorrect racist who has no place in our national dialogue (. . . except for the fact that he's responsible for the CBC's highest ratings).

But what about when the Europeans themselves say it - and back it up with hard statistics?

"Funny how things come around isn't it?" said Cherry Thursday.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Not having read the report, I'm guessing that the IIHF's conclusion has slightly less to do with "protecting good Canadian boys" and slightly more with preventing the NHLization (nihilization?) of international hockey, and protecting young Europeans from flushing their lives down the toilet in places like Baie-Comeau, QC.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Grapes is always right . It just that his being right goes against all the left wing commies back east want us to believe.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Don Cherry is tick on the ass of Canada, players should go where they choose to go. The IIHF doesn't like the fact that many young players want to come over to get their best shot at being an NHLer in order to protect their domestic leagues. I don't agree with the insane amount of resources we put into athlete here but as long as we do I don't think anyone should be stopped from playing wherever they want to.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

This is all about protecting the European leagues. I have no doubt the Russian Ice Hockey Federation has their dirty paw-prints all over this. After the lawsuits filed by them, it just fits.

My question is: why are they going this route when they can pay their players more? They did it with the likes of Chubarov and other lesser lights. It's not like they are poor. Hell, what's-his-name (Abramov?) owns Chelsea in the English Premier league, which is quite a bit more expensive than an NHL franchise. If they want their Malkins and Ovechkins to stay, outbid the NHL. If they don't have the means or inclination to do so, don't get some effete, latte-swilling European organization to do your dirty work.

There are two models you can follow: the best-league-in-the-world model (ie-NHL hockey )or the multiple national leagues model (FIFA/UEFA Football). While the Euros may be all in favour of the Football model, the economics just don't work. Could MoDo ever outbid MSG and the Rangers for the services of Henrik Lundquist? Until that happens, no amount of IIHF blather will make a difference. That the NHL has the means to attract the best players in the world shouldn't be held against it. The NHL is the pinnacle of hockey, and if that means more Euros and fewer North Americans, so be it. It only makes for better hockey overall.

I'm not as big a fan of Euros playing in our junior leagues, because I figure North American kids should get an equal shot at developing into NHL players as anyone else. With the league moving to a more speed-and-skill game, how much more adjustment could the Euros get by playing Major Junior here than they would spending a year or two in the minors?

I appreciate what Don has to say, but if we are going to say we have the best hockey league in the world we have to allow the best players in the world play here, regardless of their nationality.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I saw this earlier and was going to link it, but I thought that it was such a bad piece of writing that it should just go away.

There are no stats about North American players that don't 'make the grade'. It;'s just . crap..biased crap...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I totally agree with Cornuck. ;)

What makes the NHL so unique is the fact that nearly all best players from all around the world are playing there and simply put the best players should play no matter where from. If you make restrictions for Europeans it'll make the NHL less interesting than it is for sure.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Yeah, the IIHF has an axe to grind. But I'm not sure I'd dismiss the entire report as crap. There's some surprising and interesting facts and statistics in there - even if you disagree with it's ultimate conclusions.

Certainly, it's been thought out and a little bit better researched than some of Cherry's musings . . .

A link to the complete report is set out below. Biased? Probably. But still, worth a read (25 pp long).

http://www.iihf.com/education/pdf/IIHF_Study.pdf
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

This is the IIHL trying to protect the European leagues and their teams and nothing more. But in the end, it will amount to nothing because the best want to play in the NHL. The only threat to the NHL (IMO) is some kind of European super league (like the Champions League in soccer). But I don't think you'll see that anytime soon.
ververgaert wrote:Grapes is always right . It just that his being right goes against all the left wing commies back east want us to believe.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

As one who was around for the '72 Canada-Russia series, there is another perspective.

It was horrifying to discover our Canadian NHL stars, who we expected to walk all over the Red Army, looked like lumbering beer league players against a swift, skilled and dynamic Russian attack.

Winning that series, I still get chills just thinking about it, was more like dodging the bullet than asserting our dominance.

North American hockey has changed since then to embrace the strengths of both styles.

European players in the junior levels not only helps them to adjust to the North American style...it also helps North American players to adjust to the European style.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Exactly, its not like there is a shortage of spots for good north American talent, the guys these Europeans are replacing are the guys with virtually no shot at the NHL regardless of where they play. Bringing in the skilled Euro's who have a real shot simply raises the aggregate talent level of the entire league creating a better environment for everyone in it with a real shot regardless of their origin.

Although I do have to disagree about '72 that was a national disgrace, as far as I am concerned we lost that serious the moment Clark went apeshit on Kharlamov's ankle in what may be the most disgusting play in sports history.