Classic case of media trying to CREATE controversy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

yammi
CC Veteran

Classic case of media trying to CREATE controversy

Post by yammi »

In today's Vancouver Province, Jason Botchford implies that the Sedin brothers are in the coach's doghouse in his article with the provocative subtitle "Sedins under fire from Vigneault for not having legs."

This smacks of the worst type of pot-stirring, negative journalism that we've come to expect from hacks like Tony Gallagher and David Pratt ... i.e., building a mountain out of a mole hill in order increase newspaper circulation and talk show calls.

Vigneault's comment was reflection of the fact that the offense was struggling in Dallas and could only put 1 goal past Turco ... Vigneault is not stupid enough to put in his doghouse two guys who are now tied for 2nd overall in league scoring (and who are both legitimate contenders for the Art Ross).

Botchford is trying to blow this up to create a Canuck controversy where there really isn't one.

Shame on you Jason ... you're sinking to the same slimy level as Tony Gallagher.

More and more the Province sports section is becoming sensationalist in the worst tabloid style rather than a place for sports journalism (and particularly since they hired David "you got a problem with that?" Pratt).

LINK
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

It's pretty clear AV just didn't think the twins had the energy against Dallas so why put them out there at that time? And that he wanted them to simplify the PP a bit. And they responded with 3 point efforts. There is no controversy here. From what I can tell the only thing here is a coach that actually communicated with his players and, well, coached them!
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I hate Galagher..........
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

The same guys who poisoned Bure on our city, solely to sell papers based on their "exclusive" interview him (in which Pavel basically described how Gallagher turned him against the Nucks), are now trying to drive a wedge between the Club and the Sedins.

It seems we can't have hockey superstars in this city without the media trying to run 'em out of town and slew-foot our team in the process.

All the more reason to spit on, or pistol whip, the next journalist you see.

Don't worry about infringing their Charter rights. They don't deserve any. The Charter only applies to humans, after all. And, as we all know - journalists passed on their humanity a long time ago. They're basically the most loathsome creatures on the planet - well below sharks, reptiles, rodents and lawyers.

Sure, child molesters molest kids. But only the papers will publicly exploit those kid's shame on the front pages to profit from it.

Purging the planet of members of the press is pretty much the only thing I ever agreed with Stalin and Mao on. Always remember: "You can't make an omlette without gassing a few journalists!"
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
orts
CC Veteran

Re: Classic case of media trying to CREATE controversy

Post by orts »

yammi wrote:In today's Vancouver Province, Jason Botchford implies that the Sedin brothers are in the coach's doghouse in his article with the provocative subtitle "Sedins under fire from Vigneault for not having legs."
I find it hard to believe that two players who currently stand tied with a mob for second in league scoring (14 points) could be in anyone's "doghouse." That columnist is either stupid or grasping at non-existent straws to make some kind of deadline.

As for the lame old "the media" cliche, god I get tired of people generalising like that. There are varying levels of newspapers; there are strong sports writers and weak news writers (just like there are strong and weak, or reactionary and progressive news journalists). The weak ones just rely on their loud mouths and sensational stories so they can make their deadlines. Don't buy their dumb papers or listen to their muckraking radio shows, and maybe they will all starve to death, and you won't have to complain about "the media" any more :)

I believe you when you say the Province sucks, however (been years since I've seen a copy). I'm not surprised to hear they picked up Pratt.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

There's a reason I haven't bought a newspaper for over a decade - thanks for reminding me.

Remember, that you can always write to the paper and complain. It might not change anything, but you might feel better.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Meers,

I knew there was a reason that I got along with you at the last meet n greet. :)

While I agree with every thing Meers said in his post in general, I would like to point out that in any crowd, there are a few good ones. There are a few good journalists in Vancouver, and one or two even report sports, but when it comes to the sensationalist style journalist....
"You can't make an omlette without gassing a few journalists!"
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Speaking of the media, I haven't seen any post by the Media Man for a while. Has he stopped visiting this web site? We love to read what you have say here. (generally, not just on this topic)
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Cornuck wrote:Remember, that you can always write to the paper and complain. It might not change anything, but you might feel better.
And if that letter is securely fastened to a crowbar or heavy lead pipe and forcefully delivered to the physical plant or property of the paper (or heck, even to the offending journalist's car), you might feel even better . . . ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Yes, in a topic that slanders and threatens all media journalists with the same brush, calling on them to be gassed, (even if only half serious, although from that rant I'm not sure thats even true...) we wonder why we haven't heard from Meida_Man... strange indeed...

For all we know Media_Man could BE *shudder* ....Gallagher :shock:

either that or Dan Murphy :D
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I've noticed that he's been "on the ice", but not posting.

Maybe it's Dave C - with the new blog.?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Jason Botchford is normally one of the better ones, too. His article actually made it into the National Post too, which'll give it wider circulation. I read it over a sandwich this afternoon and, like everyone else, was quite surprised by the misleading headline. However, keep in mind that it's usually not the writer himself/herself who chooses the headline, but the editorial staff.
Meerschaum wrote:Don't worry about infringing their Charter rights. They don't deserve any. The Charter only applies to humans, after all. And, as we all know - journalists passed on their humanity a long time ago. They're basically the most loathsome creatures on the planet - well below sharks, reptiles, rodents and lawyers.
I'll sidestep Sheikh Yerbouti's lawyer comment and note simply that the Charter doesn't actually come into play except when government is involved. ;)
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Cornuck wrote:I've noticed that he's been "on the ice", but not posting.

Maybe it's Dave C - with the new blog.?
Dave wrote something about it. Check it out.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

You took the words right out of my mouth Meers.\

I have a very unhealthy hate for the media, which under the right circumstances could easily turn violent.

While reporting facts is one thing, blowing trivial shit out of proportion in an attempt to make one party pissed at another for the sake of a story is just plain scummy.

I really think its time someone looked into the private lifes of some of the scummier media of this town and threw there indiscretions out for all to see.

On the bright side I gotta say I like Dan Murphy's interviews. He asks questions of the players that are purely hockey related. Plus his hair styles make me laugh.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
darcy rota
AHL Prospect

Post by darcy rota »

I don't need a media report to tell me what I can see with my own eyes.
During the 2nd period of the Dallas game it was obvious to me that the errant passes and coughing up of the puck from the Sedins proved that they were tired and not on their game.

The coaches job is to adapt to this and then after the game find out why.

Doghouse is a little extreme, perhaps beyond extreme.

Player fatigue comes and goes. The coaches job is to recognize it and play who can deliver.

When you have to producers like Daniel and Hendrik, I would think you have to give them a lot of rope to try and turn it around.

Nothing like a new day and anouther opportunity.

The Chicago game should have stopped the editor from printing the story.

Go Canucks Go