TV coverage question for all of ya

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

TV coverage question for all of ya

Post by randymeeks »

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. The last time I checked, we can't get Sportsnet Pacific Canuck games even if we have satellite and have Sportsnet Pacific. I'm stuck with Flamer and Oiler games on Sportsnet West. Anyone what know what legalities are involved when it comes to blocking out those Canuck games? Only asking because some of you seem to know about tv coverage issues when it comes to hockey.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

I'm not sure about the legal intricacies, although I know that it probably won't change anytime soon...

As far as getting the games, the best way would be to find someone with a B.C. address that would be willing to let you use it. Then the satellite company sees you as a B.C. customer and you'd get Canucks games--they have no idea where the actual dish is, nor do they care, as long as they have the addy...

Another option would be to buy a Canadian dish from a US mail-order company; I can't remember the name, but their based in Minnesota (google it). They have a service where they'll give you a Canadian address if you live in the US....not sure of the legalities there (I certainly wouldn't do it), but I've heard of it working....

Hope that helps.
Vanman
AHL Prospect

Post by Vanman »

There isn't really any legalities. Canucks can only be seen in B.C. and Yukon. All the teams have there own regions. This is the way it is because because the NHL, Sportsnet, and the Canadian teams decided this would promote Fan loyalty to only be shown in there own region. Regions are Canucks - B.C. and Yukon. Oilers and Flames - Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba. Maple leaves and Senators split Ontario between Belleville and Pembrooke being the line. Canadians - Quebec and East. I used to work for Starchoice Satellite and had the NHL come in and explain this to us. If you had Starchoice, you coulkd call them, say you have moved to B.C and give them and address and say you installed it yourself, and then you could get the Canucks games untill you got caught.
gmisinthegarage
MVP
MVP

Re: TV coverage question for all of ya

Post by gmisinthegarage »

randymeeks wrote:I live in Edmonton, Alberta. The last time I checked, we can't get Sportsnet Pacific Canuck games even if we have satellite and have Sportsnet Pacific. I'm stuck with Flamer and Oiler games on Sportsnet West. Anyone what know what legalities are involved when it comes to blocking out those Canuck games? Only asking because some of you seem to know about tv coverage issues when it comes to hockey.
The easiest is the address idea, as long as you keep paying your bill, they dont care.

What really sucks is I dont remember seeing it lately but I have seen it when they are playing Flames or Oilers and the game was on Sportsnet west but pacific was not playing it and try to watch it and it was blocked.
You cook so slow you don't use a egg timer you use an Egg calendar.
Oh ya that's right I went there