Where was the complaining about HNIC when CBC showed 17,18

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

At least CBC switches over for games for people in different regions..

What did you all think of missing the first 10 mins of the home opener last year..which was the first game in over the year just to see the leaves lose in a shootout.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="JamesOwnzSam11"]At least CBC switches over for games for people in different regions..

What did you all think of missing the first 10 mins of the home opener last year..which was the first game in over the year just to see the leaves lose in a shootout.[/quote]

Come on, it was the first shootout in NHL history. It was a good reason to miss the first 10 minutes. .
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Fred"][quote="BigTuna"]CBC is only partially funded by tax payers. They get a lot of their money from commercial revenue and they get the most from showing the leaves.[/quote]

True, but TSN is funded zero by the public purse. The mandate of the CBC was always centred around inclusion of all Canadians and not to promote regionalism, sort of all for one & one for all. It was supposed to unity the country not to start regional disparity. It has failed in it's mandate.

The saddest part of this "let's promote the leaves "every one loves the Leaf's" approach" is it's not necessary with to days technology. And the ban on other regional carriers being permitted to carry the game when CBC is not showing the game they could is just wrong. if they don't want to show it then step aside, and to heck with their dogma that they know best[/quote]

They just don't have the money to do any of that. CBC is in bad shape as it is.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

BigTuna wrote:
JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:At least CBC switches over for games for people in different regions..

What did you all think of missing the first 10 mins of the home opener last year..which was the first game in over the year just to see the leaves lose in a shootout.

Come on, it was the first shootout in NHL history. It was a good reason to miss the first 10 minutes. .
Sounds like a true Torontoian.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="JamesOwnzSam11"][quote="BigTuna"][quote="JamesOwnzSam11"]At least CBC switches over for games for people in different regions..

What did you all think of missing the first 10 mins of the home opener last year..which was the first game in over the year just to see the leaves lose in a shootout.[/quote]

Come on, it was the first shootout in NHL history. It was a good reason to miss the first 10 minutes. .[/quote]

Sounds like a true Torontoian.[/quote]

Oh really? How is that? Because I think it was ok for a station to keep everyone watching the first shootout in league history? Recently, I was watching the leaves beat Ottawa 6-0 and CBC switched to the start of the Western game. I understand that, the game was boring and the Sens had no chance. But I don't think it is justified to switch over from a shootout.

Sounds like someone who has common sense to me.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

The reason for keeping the CBC publicly funded is really quite simple, they are the last source of investigative journalism left in Canada. Its really rather embarrassing what "real" networks have become.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="cerios"]The reason for keeping the CBC publicly funded is really quite simple, they are the last source of investigative journalism left in Canada. Its really rather embarrassing what "real" networks have become.[/quote]

Yup. CBC's news programs are amazing. They did the best report on the bias at FOX news that any American station could. CBC made FOX it's b i t c h.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Well it's not that I'm too biased but if I never hear or see anything about TO I'll be happy. If it was the 7th game of the Eastern final I would pull the switch to watch ANY Western team in action, no matter if it was tied with 1 minute left.
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

cerios wrote:The reason for keeping the CBC publicly funded is really quite simple, they are the last source of investigative journalism left in Canada. Its really rather embarrassing what "real" networks have become.
Please, we should shell out a billion dollars a year to see 'investigative' journalism. What a joke. Why not put that money into hiring more RCMP officers?
BigTuna wrote:CBC is only partially funded by tax payers. They get a lot of their money from commercial revenue and they get the most from showing the leaves.
That's correct, which is why the CBC has no business broadcasting sports. Stop using tax-payer dollars to show NHL games. I'm pretty sure the NHL can find real networks, like TSN, they have stuff like pre-game shows, they're pretty neat.
BigTuna wrote: Yup. CBC's news programs are amazing. They did the best report on the bias at FOX news that any American station could. CBC made FOX it's b i t c h.
We're not talking about FOX News. Leave your anti-american bias out of this one. We're talking about whether the CBC should use it's government money to show NHL games, when SN, TSN and others are capable. I say no. Put that money towards anything, like upgrading highways.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

How can anyone concentrate on the issue at hand with that staring them in the face? It's like a nasty car-wreck version of Fred's bouncy little number.
I vote that Fred has to post here more often....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

MacNews wrote: We're not talking about FOX News. Leave your anti-american bias out of this one. We're talking about whether the CBC should use it's government money to show NHL games, when SN, TSN and others are capable. I say no. Put that money towards anything, like upgrading highways.
This is my main thought; if CBC wants to be tax-payer funded and become something like PBS where they show quality documentaries and real Canadian news, fine, but drop the "Simpsons" (which I am a fan of) and stop repeating what we already get from American TV news, did it bother anyone else the amount of taxpayer money went to the CBC when in 1999 they showed loads and loads of the O.J. Simpson trial?

Either become a public service or a commercial broadcaster, stop doing a pathetic job at both.
Mark
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

MarkMM wrote: Either become a public service or a commercial broadcaster, stop doing a pathetic job at both.
I agree, the sad thing is that if the CBC wasn't publicly funded they could have sold their sports coverage and news documentaries to other networks and probably have been financially sound w/o all the taxpayers money.(it would have to be a substantialy leaner operation than current)
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[[quote="BigTuna"] Yup. CBC's news programs are amazing. They did the best report on the bias at FOX news that any American station could. CBC made FOX it's b i t c h.[/quote]

We're not talking about FOX News. Leave your anti-american bias out of this one. We're talking about whether the CBC should use it's government money to show NHL games, when SN, TSN and others are capable. I say no. Put that money towards anything, like upgrading highways.[/quote]

Anti-American bias? What the heck are you talking about? I thought it was a well made news program about one cable network in the U.S. You're stretching there buddy.
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

BigTuna wrote: Anti-American bias? What the heck are you talking about? I thought it was a well made news program about one cable network in the U.S. You're stretching there buddy.
It doesn't matter, you're still off-topic. We're talking HNIC not Fox news.
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

MacNews wrote: It doesn't matter, you're still off-topic. We're talking HNIC not Fox news.
Tuna's not off-topic; he was responding to the predictable general cbc-bashing that happened in this thread (like it always does). So if anything, it's the cbc-bashers who have grabbed us by the throat and hauled us off-topic, by your standard.

I think that the point MMM made about the CBC's uncomfortably straddling the line between standard corporate tripe and public broadcasting is pretty correct, and that the solution is for people to stop whimpering about "taxpayers' money" and start realizing that paying for culture is as important as paying for any of the other crap that's been mentioned here. I mean, really, more Mounties? That's silly, we've got plenty for our purposes, and it's long been proven that increased policing doesn't cut crime. Or highway improvements? Like we need to encourage more stupid drivers making unnecessary trips in filthy SUVs. On the other hand, we could sure use with a dependable broadly-based venue for the display of canadian arts and culture (which, yes, includes hockey :P).