Sedin trade in retrospect

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Sedin trade in retrospect

Post by sic puppy »

yammi wrote:Back in 1999, a number of people had mixed feelings about Brian Burke's draft day deal to get both Sedins because it cost us Bryan McCabe.
And as I recall, many were still questioning this deal up to last year. How many posts were directed at the "sisters" with the emphasis on sending them packing ?
yammi wrote:In retrospect, however, this may be one of the best deals in franchise history (maybe the absolute best besides the Naslund larceny).
Couldn't agree more. In this new NHL it will be interesting to see if this type of developement will be the exception.
yammi wrote:The Sedins, I think, are already outstanding players ... and they just keep getting better and better each season.
And in this era when everyone is watching who's getting paid what, well worth their salary.
Nanaimo_Nuck
CC Rookie

Post by Nanaimo_Nuck »

I wonder why Martin Havlat went so late in the 1st round...

Martin Erat Round 7 steal of a deal hes a pretty solid player IMO
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

They're top point getters in their draft class.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Kowch wrote:They're top point getters in their draft class.
Actually, Havlat is No. 1 in that class. Followed by the Twins. Comrie ain't too far behind them. Still, not a bad draft result.

(Let's all hope Pyatt pulls off the late bloomer and zooms up the charts this season. ;) )
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Meerschaum wrote:
Actually, Havlat is No. 1 in that class. Followed by the Twins. Comrie ain't too far behind them. Still, not a bad draft result.

(Let's all hope Pyatt pulls off the late bloomer and zooms up the charts this season. ;) )
I sit corrected :)

But, 2 & 3 still ain't bad considering.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Meerschaum wrote:

Hmm, maybe if he plays with the Twins it'll happen?
Mark
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

I loved the leaves getting Mccabe because Chicago was dumb enough to trade him a year later for Karpotsev.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Cornuck wrote:The 1999 Draft top ten

1 Atlanta Patrik Stefan C
2 Vancouver Daniel Sedin L
3 Vancouver Henrik Sedin C
4 NY Rangers Pavel Brendl W
5 NY Islanders Tim Connolly C
6 Nashville Brian Finley G
7 Washington Kris Beech C
8 NY Islanders Taylor Pyatt L
9 NY Rangers Jamie Lundmark C
10 NY Islanders Branislav Mezei D

Yeah - not a strong group. The long shot that made it was Zetterberg (7th)

Complete Draft
Don't forget Ryan Miller was in there about 5th round I think.

So Daniel is 2nd overall, #22 on the Nucks...
Henrik is 3rd overall, #33 on your program...
How about we lobby to get #88 for Pyatt and call that line the "99 Draft Line"? :)
spudpicker
AHL Prospect

Post by spudpicker »

Loved the trade on Draft day, then as the Sedin struggle through the first few seasons came to question it.. last few seasons loved it again :D . Let's see what the next few bring...

Though, IMHO this one still goes down as one of the all time great Canuck robberies... If only because we ended up getting the Great Canuck back on the rosters years later. Though understandably lost a bit of luster after "the incident"...

06-Feb-98: New York Islanders traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and 3rd round selection (Jarkko Ruutu) in 1998 to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden.
'Before you can win, you gotta figure out why you're losing.'

Bill Parcells
UK Canuck
CC Veteran

Post by UK Canuck »

meangradin wrote:What I loved about the trade was turning on TSN's draft day coverage and the first words out of the announcers mouth were "The Vancouver Canucks have stolen this draft," and then having to wait a blissful few seconds to hear what had actually transpired. As a life long long Canuck fan, it is so rare to hear the team spoken about in such high esteem.

On a side note, waht I love about this site is that it is populated with die hard fans. Being British by birth, I could not imagine ever turning my back on my football team (Glasgow Celtic), as my father supported the team, as did his father, and his father before him. I stuggle to understand those fans who, for example, are Bertuzzi fans, over Canuck fans. The team makes the player, not the other way around!

Hail! Hail! Canucks

Im Man Utd fan fella glad to see a fellow brit on here. as for the sedins-they rule the roost- top players.
Canucks Is Life, Everything else is mere Detail.