Last years "Star Goalies" - Breakthrough or Bust ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Last years "Star Goalies" - Breakthrough or Bust ?

Post by Grizzly »

Just checking the stats really quickly for goaltenders and I noticed that last years "stars" ... Ward, Miller, Lundquist are pretty much down in the bottom half of all stat categories ....

... slow start for them ??
... are they the real deal ?? or ...
... was last year just their only spotlight for them ??

Thoughts ...

On a side comment ... Lehtonen looks good early so far into the season.

Grizz
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Also, Raycroft seems to be regaining his Calder form.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I like Cam Ward alot, so im hoping he can pick it up..... but that whole team isnt really lookin all that good right now
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I think it's way to early to make any conclusion, at least Miller has 2 starts and 2 wins. ;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Ward was actually one of the worst goaltenders in the regular season last year....45th in SV% and 49th in GAA for the 50 goaltenders with 25+ appearances, while his goaltending partner Gerber was 17th and 18th.

While i think Ward will develop into a good goaltender his playoff play had all the markings of a hot streak last year. Based on his previous play no one could have predicted how well he would do. I still think it's a joke he got the Conn Smythe. How Brind'Amour was denied that I'll never know...a forward playing more minutes than any other skater on his team including D-men, had the most game winning goals, and was clearly the heart and soul of the Canes during the playoff run. But I digress...

With all that said it is still extremely early to say anything. One great game or one bad game completely swings the stats right now. But it also isn't surprising. There is a reason the sophmore year is quite often harder than the rookie season. The opposition has a book on the player and has adjusted the gameplan accordingly (i.e. Ward gives up long and bad rebounds for example). The better players then make their own adjustments to counteract the opposition adjustments and those players rise to the top and get better. Others don't and become Jim Carey....win the Vezina and be out of the NHL in 3 years.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Also, goaliesthat had good half seasons like Huet and the two in Boston they chose over Raycroft haven't been playing well either.

Goalies need more then one good year before their annointed as a star.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

tantalum wrote: While i think Ward will develop into a good goaltender his playoff play had all the markings of a hot streak last year. Based on his previous play no one could have predicted how well he would do. I still think it's a joke he got the Conn Smythe. How Brind'Amour was denied that I'll never know...a forward playing more minutes than any other skater on his team including D-men, had the most game winning goals, and was clearly the heart and soul of the Canes during the playoff run. But I digress...
I fully agree, for what it's worth. Obviously Ward, by definition, is the most important player on the Cup-winning team, but every goalie always is. I couldn't believe when it didn't go to Brind'amour... I don't think goalies should be eligible for the Conn Smythe or Hart Trophies for this reason. If the description is taken literally, they'll win both award 9/10 times.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Jyrki21 wrote: I don't think goalies should be eligible for the Conn Smythe or Hart Trophies for this reason. If the description is taken literally, they'll win both award 9/10 times.
I don't agree with the logic. If the goalie takes them to the Cup, then by all means he should have a shot at the Smythe. If he falters and they lose, then who gets the blame? Consider also that goalies only have the Vezina to win most years, unike skaters.

Give credit where credit is due.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."