"Major business announcement"

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

"Major business announcement"

Post by Larry Goodenough »

The team has scheduled a press conference today at 3pm to make a "major business announcement"

I am assuming it's to introduce the new President. Now I read in the papers that the new guy is apparantly a Toronto guy. I guess that rules out Nicholson, as I think he would be a "BC" guy or a "Calgary" guy as that's where the national team is based.

Has anyone heard, or does anyone want to guess who the guy will be. I don't like the fact a "Toronto" guy is taking over, but I'll hold off judgement until the announcement.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

I think the CEO/President position requires not a hockey expert, but rather a business expert who's familar with the hockey business. Chris Zimmerman appears to have the credentials. The team already has Nonis, a local hockey fan, leading the hockey side.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Nice to see someone with a hockey background come in.

Now if we could just get someone with a hockey background running the NHL!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Cornuck wrote:Nice to see someone with a hockey background come in.

Now if we could just get someone with a hockey background running the NHL!
Maybe that's where Bob Nicholson will end up???
Mark
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Kel wrote:I think the CEO/President position requires not a hockey expert, but rather a business expert who's familar with the hockey business. Chris Zimmerman appears to have the credentials. The team already has Nonis, a local hockey fan, leading the hockey side.
I think a hockey expert is required. Most teams allow the President to do the hirings and firings of General Managers.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Kel wrote:I think the CEO/President position requires not a hockey expert, but rather a business expert who's familar with the hockey business. Chris Zimmerman appears to have the credentials. The team already has Nonis, a local hockey fan, leading the hockey side.
I think a hockey expert is required. Most teams allow the President to do the hirings and firings of General Managers.
You don't have to be a hockey expert to identify good hockey executive, plus a lot of times the owner makes the call about hiring GMs. When Burke was hired by the Ducks owner, who himself is no hockey expert, people generally agreed that it was a great move. Zimmerman worked for Nike Bauer Hockey and this seems to imply that he probably has already established contacts with a lot of hockey experts. In the end, a CEO/President has to be a good businessman first and foremost, no matter which business it is. The goal of any business to make the most profit, and having a good team is an important aspect, but it's only one of the many factors that influence the ultimate goal - making money.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Kel wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:
You don't have to be a hockey expert to identify good hockey executive, plus a lot of times the owner makes the call about hiring GMs. When Burke was hired by the Ducks owner, who himself is no hockey expert, people generally agreed that it was a great move. Zimmerman worked for Nike Bauer Hockey and this seems to imply that he probably has already established contacts with a lot of hockey experts. In the end, a CEO/President has to be a good businessman first and foremost, no matter which business it is. The goal of any business to make the most profit, and having a good team is an important aspect, but it's only one of the many factors that influence the ultimate goal - making money.
Yeah, and assuming Nonis isn't going anyway, it's not like we'll be needing the new CEO to pick a GM. It makes sense to me for Nonis to handle hockey (with the help of Tambellini) while someone else deals with the money-making side, if we don't want to raise ticket prices, then the other way of maximizing revenue would be through advertising deals which seems to be this guy's specialty.
Mark
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Kel wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:
Lamoriello, Sather, Sinden are all presidents for their teams, yet they do not have business/financial backgrounds. The CEO/COO should have the business experience, but the President should have pro hockey management experience and a demonstrated experience in hockey team management. Yes, experience is not required to choose a GM, but if any fan had a choice of a hockey prez or a business prez, they would all choose a hockey prez.

Why not Nicholson as the president and Zimmerman as the CEO? Other teams have split the duties.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Larry Goodenough wrote: Lamoriello, Sather, Sinden are all presidents for their teams, yet they do not have business/financial backgrounds. The CEO/COO should have the business experience, but the President should have pro hockey management experience and a demonstrated experience in hockey team management. Yes, experience is not required to choose a GM, but if any fan had a choice of a hockey prez or a business prez, they would all choose a hockey prez.

Why not Nicholson as the president and Zimmerman as the CEO? Other teams have split the duties.
Presidents, CEO, and GM are all titles and what matters the most is how the responsibilites are assigned to different people. When Burke was the President, someone else handled the business side. If you trust Dave Nonis to handle the hockey side, then why is there a need to bring in another hockey person like Nicholson?
flydon
AHL Prospect

Post by flydon »

Larry-Not trying to hijack your thread, but check your messages and give me an email , Janice wants to get hold of Mary-Lou.
Don
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

flydon wrote:Larry-Not trying to hijack your thread, but check your messages and give me an email , Janice wants to get hold of Mary-Lou.
Don
Don - I don't know who you are. You must have me confused with someone else.
flydon
AHL Prospect

Post by flydon »

Did you play for Marlies in Toronto, and live in Rexdale?