CANUCKS CLAIM A GOALIE

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dal
AHL Prospect

CANUCKS CLAIM A GOALIE

Post by dal »

Canucks have claimed goaltender Dany Sabourin

Scouting Report

Assets Has excellent size for the goaltending position and supreme confidence in his ability to stop the puck.

Flaws Has battled consistency issues in the pro ranks, so he must prove his 2002-03 breakthrough season wasn't a fluke.

Career potential No. 2 goalie.

Looks like this guy has some upside but not who I thought the Nucks would take.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Good AHL numbers.

Weak numbers in his NHL call-ups.

His pre-season with Pittsburg wasn't strong enough for him to stick around (in all fairness, however, it would have taken a minor miracle for the Pens to send Marc-Andre Fleury down).

I can't say I'm turning cartwheels over this.
Last edited by Meerschaum on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

probably for the moose as Flaherty deserves a backup more than this guy does at this point.
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

Meerschaum wrote:
My thoughts exactly..
I Hart Luongo.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

with the cap where it is, this is better shot than Labarbera.... essentially half the price.

EDIT: Just browsing through the canucks.com message boards, and saw someone mention that Sabourin would have to pass through waivers again for us to move him down to the Moose... is this accurate? If so, then what's the point of picking him up if were not planning on giving him prime real estate on the pine, watching Luongo while Flats goes back down?

(as a sidenote... wow, sucks to be Flaherty, although I can't really say I care too much who plays backup... they are both AHL goalies, arguably the top 2 from last season, one is young and unproven, the other is old, and never panned out at this level... meh.)
hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Post by hoopsjunky »

Would the waiver rule apply (again) if we send him to the Moose?
hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Post by hoopsjunky »

Thanks Steve.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

mattola wrote:probably for the moose as Flaherty deserves a backup more than this guy does at this point.
I don't think that works, due to the waiver rule.

I think Flaherty's done . . .
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Wow - A Las Vegas Wrangler makes it to the Canucks! He looked great down here and was in called up to the A quick. He'll make a solid depth goalie for us.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Meerschaum wrote:\
His pre-season with Pittsburg wasn't strong enough for him to stick around (in all fairness, however, it would have taken a minor miracle for the Pens to send Marc-Andre Fleury down).

Actually I heard otherwise. I heard he was playing really good in camp. So goo that they were thinking of going with a 3 goalie rotation because Fleury wasn't looking good. I really can't remember where I read it, but I know I did.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Nonis weighs in. Flats is clearly done.

''We've put a lot of faith in our goaltending coach (Ian Clark) who's got a good feel for him,'' Canucks GM Dave Nonis told The Canadian Press. ''We did play against him last year with (AHL) Manitoba and he played very well against us. Clarkie feels he's a guy who's gotten better every year. He was one of the top goalies in the American League last year and we feel he's ready to make the next step to the NHL.''

. . .

''The other reason for this move is that as you've seen over the last couple of years, it's tough to get through a season with two NHL-calibre goaltenders, you need at least three and sometimes more,'' said Nonis. ''We have two very good prospects in Manitoba who aren't ready for the NHL yet so we wanted to add to our depth in that area.''

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179808&hubname=
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I'm not too impressed with this move... Should Luongo go down I really don't think I'd trust Sabourin to carry the team. He's an excellent AHL goaltender, but really hasn't proven anything in the NHL. Flats impressed me in the loss to Edmonton, and I thought he earned the job that night. I geuss not. Hopefully I'm wrong about my intial impression of Sabourin, but I don't like this one bit.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I think the point is simply to get an NHL capable goalie, and with our cap situation, we couldn't be picky. He made the AHL First-All Star team last season, was named best AHL goalie and had the lowest GAA. So he's got potential. He's also cheap, and maybe Nonis was concerned that if he did wait to go after Lababera or someone more established, they'd get picked before we got our chance and we would be left with nothing, this way we at least got something we can work with, Ian Clark seems pretty impressed with him.

If Luongo goes down long-term, I don't think there's a backup in the league for what we can afford to replace him, we just need a goalie that can win enough of his share of the 10-20 games he might play this season to win in a tight division (yes, 20 or more is possible as Luongo has stated he wants to play less this season so that he'll be rested for the playoffs). I honestly don't know which of Flats or Sabourin is better, but at least now we have a choice. I wanted Labarbera, but we can afford Sabourin, it is what it is.
Mark
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Meerschaum wrote:Good AHL numbers.

Weak numbers in his NHL call-ups.

The Canucks now have an elite NHL goalie and two AHL veterans. If Luongo got injured, the season would be OVER. I would have preferred Labarbera (at least he played a full NHL season last year and had impressive AHL stats before), but this was Dave Nonis' call.....

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

[quote="Meerschaum"]Nonis weighs in. Flats is clearly done.

. .

''The other reason for this move is that as you've seen over the last couple of years, it's tough to get through a season with two NHL-calibre goaltenders, you need at least three and sometimes more,'' said Nonis. ''We have two very good prospects in Manitoba who aren't ready for the NHL yet so we wanted to add to our depth in that area.''

It must be tough for Flaherty not being able to stick with the Canucks when he clearly deserves it, but all in all this is great for the Moose and the goalie prospects.

Having a mentor like Flaherty to bring these kids along is priceless.

Auld cited him as one of the major reasons for his development.