Insane Hurricanes

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Insane Hurricanes

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Trading the rights to Jack Johnson.

"The Carolina Hurricanes have traded defenceman Oleg Tverdovsky and the rights to defenceman Jack Johnson to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for defenceman Tim Gleason and centre Eric Belanger."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179262&hubname=
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Bad trade for Canes, great trade for Kings. Lombardi and Crawford are slowly and quietly building a good team.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Wow. What a terrible trade for Carolina. Talk about giving up on your future. This almost makes up for the stupidity of the Cloutier deal on the Kings' part.

Almost . . . ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

I'm starting to see a pattern...
We kick out Brian Burke, he has a cup-contender team.
We send away Marc Crawford, and he is gradually building them up.
Jeepers.
I Hart Luongo.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

From everything I've read Johnson wasn't going to play for the Hurricanes anyway so maybe this was a get what you can trade. Gleason is not a bad defenceman and Johnson while full of promise still has to prove it on the NHL ice.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Isn't Lombardi the architect of much of the current Sharks roster? He's a good GM. Yet another argument for how important that position is in an organization.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

That's an awful trade for the 'Canes. I was under the impression that Johnson would eventually sign with Carolina, but wanted to finish College first. Gleason is a fairly good player, but hasn't lived up to expectations yet. Belanger is a throw in and Tverdosky was expendable. Great trade for LA. They're going to be incredibly scary in a few years.

Johnson, O'Sullivan, Frolov, Brown. :shock:
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

After the Canes impressive season last year, there wasn't much need for a trade.
Even though you dont see all-star names on that trade sheet, Carolina got ripped and I think LA was taking advantage of a drunk 'Canes GM. :drunk:
I Hart Luongo.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I don't think it is that bad of a trade. Canes want help here and now whereas LA knows they are in rebuilding mode. Serves both teams interests.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

The Carolina Hurricanes have traded the rights to defenceman Jack Johnson and defenceman Oleg Tverdovsky to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for defenceman Tim Gleason and centre Eric Belanger

In the future this trade is great for LA. Tverdovsky is a bit of a flake & did not fit in with Carolina or the Hurricane cap @ 2.5 MIL/year. Jack Johnson looks like he's going to be a beauty. I wonder why Carolina gave up on him so quick?
I also like this trade for the Hurricanes. I liked what I saw from Gleason 6' 215 lb 23 years old D-man. Decent size & some offense. Belanger will cover for Stillman while he recovers. Good skater & got 33-37 points on a bad LA team the last couple of years. Carolina sticking with its "SPEED KILLS" philosophy.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Agreed.
Belanger is very underrated.
I went to a Nucks game against LA, he looked pretty deadly.
He was having a good game but still, if he has a lot of good games, he will dominate.
I Hart Luongo.
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

It has been said that a top-tier defenceman like Jack Johnson comes along once every 5 years or more. How much is a future franchise defenceman worth? A helluva lot more than a Tim Gleason and Eric Belanger. I think once Johnson comes to the NHL and people see what he can do, this trade will be looked upon as worse than the Thornton trade.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Or Johnson could be the next Jason Herter. Who knows? ;)
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

You never know how good or bad a rookie might be. Some people just can't adapt the to the NHL. Yet, other players get it right away and are playing like pros their first few seasons.
I Hart Luongo.