coulombe, patrick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: coulombe, patrick

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Fred wrote:Can any one tell me any thing about this guy, where he came from. I've been away for a while so maybe it slipped past me ? thanks
I asked the same question, and one of the guys on OTP who follows the QMJL says this:
The Ladies Love Tie wrote: Are you serious? Coulombe? He's been a top notch Q d, plays a smart, two-way game, but he is really small, even by new NHL standards.
But as been said before, he's never been drafted and he's very small - I'm guessing he'll be sent to Manitoba and paired with Mitchell if he gets called up.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

No question Coulombe has some very good talent. And he may one day be in the NHL but I think he is going to develop at a slow pace. To be blunt, he has to learn how to play a big mans game while being tiny.

That will take some time and i don't think it will be done in the NHL. He most likely needs to toil in the AHL for a few years and show he can be quite dominant and not be outmuscled in that league (or develop another way to play that avoids muscling forwards). He has to be quite dominant in the AHL to have any chance in the NHL.

I've seen a lot of comparisons to Rafalski and that really has to do with Rafalski being short and what not. The difference between the two players I think is that Rafalski is built almost like a tank. He may be only 5'10" or 5'9" but he weighs 195-200 lbs. He's solid. Coulombe seems to be quite slight of frame in addition to being short. He's just plain small. Rafalski probably had 30-40 pounds on the kid. Also keep in mind that before Rafalski was ready for the NHL he was 26 years of age...not 21.

Coulombe is a potentially exciting prospect and it's great to root for the underdog. But he most likely has a ton of learning to do, and simply may never be big enough to be a defencemen in professional hockey.

It appears everybody is jumping off the Reid bandwagon and getting on the Coulombe bandwagon.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Fred wrote:
tantalum wrote:
Fred wrote:You see that pass Bourdon made right up the midle in his own end, man Bantams don't do that
Perhaps not but jovanovski and even Ohlund and many many other NHL D-men do it time and time again. It's a glaring mistake but it always happens.
Ah hah, the difference is they didn't make these plays when they were rookies, they have history on thier side
What? They absolutely did make those plays as rookies. IT"S A ROOKIE MISTAKE! They make those plays less now then they used to as rookies but Ohlund still goes through stretches where he tries to clear everything up the middle (usually on his backhand no less). And really I've been to many many Bantam and Junior games in my life to know that young players constantly go up the middle. If you ask them they know they aren't supposed to but they do it all the time. As a player matures and develops he will do it less and less.

It isn't surprising to me at all. Bourdon is a highly regarded prospect that has played an offensive role on his team for years. Part of that role is taking chances and quite often going up the middle is part of that chance. It's also why traditionally the biggest turnover and glaring mistake offenders are your most talented players. With increased icetime in a game also come more mistakes.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

OK OK

Jovanoski I didn't see him as a rookie that much, but Ohlund every game at the Coliseum, I don't remember him throwing it up the middle. Butcher yes, first two season were brutal Ohlund came ready made as what a 22 year old.

I can tell you this Tant Bourdon looked brutal in the Ducks game. I don't know if you watched the game or not or if your defending a ghost.

Bantam, I sat players for a shift if they did that and I can tell you they didn't do it for long. If Don Hay see's it he I'm sure will do it to. That's what makes good coaches successful and helps the kid down the road. Right now AV is just counting the mistakes to see if he's going to stay or not. Personally I think you would stunt his development in Vcr because start doing that when points are on the line and AV will not be so generous me thinks. Apart from any thing else AV job is on the line too
cheers
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I didn't see the game but I'm also not defending a ghost. I've seen Bourdon play and he makes high risk passes and like all young and most veteran players makes mental mistakes. Part of that is putting the puck up the middle. Hell, I see no one making a huge deal of a 25 year old D-man who did just that atleast twice against Calgary (Bieksa).

He isn't the first young D-man to make some mental mistakes and have a few tough games and he most definitely will not be the last. And while Ohlund often took the safe play in his rookie season you have to remember that he (a) two years older than Luc Bourdon, (b) playing mens professional hockey for three years, and (c) not coming off a year where he had a very serious injury.

Ohlund has a great first year true but he is a much better D-man now then he was then and most of that is he makes less mistakes now.

Bourdon is going to make mistakes. Some nights he is going to be absolutely dreadful. Other nights he will be a star. He's going to have some kinks in his game and some rust. But people only have to remember back to his preseason games last year of what he is capable of. He essentially made this team last year and for good reason. He was a world junior allstar. There is more than enough reason to believe his poorer level of play has much more to do with how uncomfortable he feels with his body right now (an ankle that appears not to be 100%). If its affecting his skating and what not it will affect other aspects of his game...moreso because he is very young and never had to deal with this type of thing before.

I personally think he has what it takes to be in the NHL now but really only if he's healthy. It seems to me from the reports and highlights I've seen that Bourdon is struggling with his skating and most likely because of that his entire game. I agree that given that set of circumstances the canucks have to be very careful with him. It's one thing to start the year healthy, adjust the NHL game and then get hurt and try to jump that hurdle than trying to jump them all at once which he would have to if he makes the team.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Hell, I see no one making a huge deal of a 25 year old D-man who did just that atleast twice against Calgary (Bieksa).
I thought Bieska played very poorly in the games he played last season, but then again like Morrison he played with quite a serious injury that wasn't cleared up until mid summer. But he best show what he has in short order.

I'm not that sure the Canucks or AV will have the luxury to play Bourdon a lot. The team does not look as strong as it has in the past and one goal will decide many of this years games. Do you put a youngster in that position ? To many players damaged with that sort of pressure it might be a case or hello Rory Fitzpatrick
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

This guy sounds more like Greg Hawgood than Rafalski....at the very least we could use some skill on the Moose. Wouldn't hurt to have him there since we've lost Skinne & Mojzis plus Koltsov is in Russia.

As for Bourdon...I say send him back to the Q, let him have a season of recovery, WJCs....plus hopefully a good playoff run...and bring him back for the playoffs if needed/possible and next year he'd be ready to go & do it right. I have a bad feeling about forcing him onto the lineup this year w/ what I've seen & heard...he's no where near 100% phsyically OR mentally.
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

I wonder if the Nonis will sign this guy? Seemed like Coulombe had a strong game with a goal and an assist. Anybody watch the game? How did he look?

With Bourdon's play in the pre-season, it really seems like we lack serious depth on the blueline.

I know Koltsov is in Russia, but man- I would have love to see him in camp and some preseason games. He's playing on a solid team with Avengard and I still hope he crosses the pond someday. Almost 23, he would be more seasoned and matured then Bourdon. He's been playing in a mens league since he was 17.

Anyone know the skinny on what's up with Koltsov?
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

MarkMM wrote:
Soapy wrote:He's tiny! Listed at 5'9" & we all know they measure guys with skates on!!
Has anyone seen him play? Is he a Rafalski type?
Seems to have come outta no where....
Really? Didn't know they measured people with skates on!
Same with CFL and any pro league. Never trust the media guide height and weight measurements.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Rising Sun Canuck wrote:I wonder if the Nonis will sign this guy? Seemed like Coulombe had a strong game with a goal and an assist. Anybody watch the game? How did he look?

With Bourdon's play in the pre-season, it really seems like we lack serious depth on the blueline.

I know Koltsov is in Russia, but man- I would have love to see him in camp and some preseason games. He's playing on a solid team with Avengard and I still hope he crosses the pond someday. Almost 23, he would be more seasoned and matured then Bourdon. He's been playing in a mens league since he was 17.

Anyone know the skinny on what's up with Koltsov?
iirc, he'd already committed himself to one more year in Russia but had promised Nonis that he'd be here for camp next year. Sounds solid from what I hear, comparisons to Baumgarter but with more skill and grit.
Mark
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Coulombe is sounding MIGHTY intriguing considering the offence we've lost in Jovo & Baumgartner. We all thought it might come from Bourdon or Krajickeck....interesting it could come from a undrafted camp walk-on. I'm liking the sounds of this kid more and more each day that goes by. Bourdon should be sent back to junior for a year of rehab...the guy just isn't ready yet. Coulombe could be a VERY solid no. 6/7 guy.....could he be our BEST pure quarterback on the roster right now? I'm thinking he just might.

Nonis should DEFINITELY sign this kid before Clarke comes sniffin!
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

ClamRussel wrote:Nonis should DEFINITELY sign this kid before Clarke comes sniffin!
Nah, Clarke likes his defencemen big, slow, old and fragile. :)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Nonis should DEFINITELY sign this kid before Clarke comes sniffin!
Nah, Clarke likes his defencemen big, slow, old and fragile. :)
Yeah that pretty well describes Clarke, what we should being looking at though is trade Kesler for Carter or Richards :D
cheers
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

I heard, though I haven't confirmed it, that Coloumbe had already signed a 2-year contract with the Moose. Coloumbe had another great game last night, and the goal he scored against Roloson was a pretty one. Also, he played 25 minutes last night, which indicates management wants to take a long hard look at him.
I say keep him as a 6/7 and send Bourdon back to the Q for a year.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Harold wrote:I heard, though I haven't confirmed it, that Coloumbe had already signed a 2-year contract with the Moose. Coloumbe had another great game last night, and the goal he scored against Roloson was a pretty one. Also, he played 25 minutes last night, which indicates management wants to take a long hard look at him.
I say keep him as a 6/7 and send Bourdon back to the Q for a year.
So something like this?

Ohlund - Salo
Mitchell - Krajicek
Bieksa - Coloumbe
Fitzpatrick

Good thing Bieksa is tough, because at that size, Coloumbe is going to need the protection. But it does give a two-way dimension to all our pairings.
Mark