Grabner Signs Entry Level Contract

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Grabner Signs Entry Level Contract

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

First-round pick signs for 3 years
Naslund helped 18-year-old winger's development

Jason Botchford, The Province
Published: Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Michael Grabner's impressive training camp has helped him land his first pro deal.

Grabner and the Canucks have agreed to a three-year entry level contract that will pay him the maximum allowed, which is $850,000 US per year.

"I was pretty excited to get it done and it's left me with a really good feeling," said Grabner, the Canucks first-round (14th overall) 2006 draft pick. "I think it's a relief and it's one less thing I have to worry about this year."

The Canucks had a two-year window to get a deal done. Signing him early is an indicator of how high they are on his talent and his upside, although he likely remains a year away from having a legitimate shot at sticking with the team.

"I am not that surprised they signed him," Grabner's agent Jerome Buckley said.

"They know Michael's talent level. They've seen him play and they like him a lot. They had the two-year window but they knew they were going to sign him. When [Canucks GM Dave Nonis] and I spoke it just made sense to get the deal done fairly quickly."

Grabner, who turns 19 on Oct. 5, believes that the Canucks will soon send him back to the WHL's Spokane Chiefs. That's where he played last season, scoring 36 goals in 67 games.

"I think they'll send me back down next week because they think I need another year in junior," Grabner said.

"I'm a little bit surprised [I've lasted this long]. I'm trying my best out there. It's a good experience and it's going to help me get better for juniors. I hope I can bring a lot back [in terms of] leadership and just being a better player."

The Canucks acknowledged they were torn about drafting the Austrian-born Grabner in June. At their draft table there was some thought to the idea the team should pick a North American-born player.

Looking back at his camp, Grabner said he started slow but was able to steadily improve. His best game was in San Jose on Thursday, when he scored a goal and was the team's best forward during the second and third periods, according to coach Alain Vigneault.

"Markus Naslund really helped a lot when they were rooming together [at training camp in Vernon]," Buckley said. "He really helped him with the transition and that is always difficult. He made Michael feel welcome, which is always nice. [Naslund] went out of his way to do that for him."

Buckley said getting a deal done so quickly after the draft wasn't surprising.

"There's been a handful of guys drafted in the first round who have signed," Buckley said.

Nice to have a first rounder signed- don't wanna go through the whole R.J scenario again. Can't remember a first round draft pick who's been a foward that I've been excited about for a long time.

Lets hope he has a great year with the Chiefs and makes the big team next year. With the new faster NHL, he'll be an exciting player to watch in a few years. :D
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

Should be good, as this pre-season is showing, we sure need the goals! Don't want to beat a dead-horse, but why did we lose Umberger again? We didn't offer enough $$?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The kid certainly has top level spedd and the ability to make a play at that speed. Hansen didn't look bad either and he was a Danish kid drafted in the 9th round if I recall rightly.

Edler I thought looked solid in the San Jose game but he'll never be a P/P type player, hey atleast he doesn't have problem making a pivot as does Bourdon. Bieska looks like he's settling in very well
cheers