Grabner Signs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Grabner Signs

Post by levelheaded »

A 3-year entry level contract, rookie max. I'm not so sure about this. He was playing fairly well, but nothing compared to Bourdon last year. I assume he'll spend another year in Junior, but I get the feeling we're rushing our prospect once again. I really think he'd benefit from another 2 years in Junior. Looks like he'll be making the team next year. :?

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... e7&k=82488
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

He won't start collecting his contract until he starts playing games. There is no rush here unless he plays the full year in the NHL. I don't think that is going to happen. This really is almost not a news story. the contract is pretty much standard for a first round pick so it could have been signed 3 months ago, today or a year from now and it would look the same.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

tantalum wrote:He won't start collecting his contract until he starts playing games. There is no rush here unless he plays the full year in the NHL. I don't think that is going to happen. This really is almost not a news story. the contract is pretty much standard for a first round pick so it could have been signed 3 months ago, today or a year from now and it would look the same.
Nono, I understand about the fact that his contract dosen't start until he actually starts playing, but it's a sign of intent from the team. You don't just sign a player then let him sit in juniors for the next three years. Grabner is an interesting prospect, but signing him now sends out the wrong message IMO. I think he should've at least got another year of Junior under his belt before getting inked to a contract. He's going to be rushed into the NHL like Bourdon probably will. This team needs to sit back and let its prospects develop. Not everyone is NHL ready at 19.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I assume he'll spend another year in Junior, but I get the feeling we're rushing our prospect once again.
He's going to be rushed into the NHL like Bourdon probably will. This team needs to sit back and let its prospects develop. Not everyone is NHL ready at 19.
Both good comments ... I think the Canucks are starting to "rush" some of their prospects because there is not a lot of depth on the team and you know guys like Nazzy are moving on in due time ... that next generation for the Nucks looks a bit questionable in comparison to other teams who already have several good young players on their NHL roster.

I think looking in the next say 3-4 years or so there will be increasingly more pressure on management here to put together a competitive roster. Goaltending looks good but we also don't want Luongo doing the Florida thing all over again where he gets shelled every nite and the team goes nowhere because the rest of the roster lacks depth etc..

Grizz
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Well, IF Naslund leaves after his contract, the $6 million can help us pick up some nice UFA assets, the Sedins will be hitting their stride, and if guys like Grabner, Hansen and Raymond are ready, they can contribute offensively but maybe on a second or third line role, without the pressure to carry the offense with the Sedins and UFA's leading the way. By that time, Krajicek will have gotten some experience, Bourdon will be getting more comfortable, Bieksa looks solid as a sophomore and can only get better, Koltsov might be here contributing, Ohlund will either still be with us or we can go get a UFA, so we're not completely in trouble. The trick is to keep and use our draft picks wisely so that we can improve depth in the future and are not as shallow as we are now.
Mark
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I don't think he'll be rushed at all. Management, coaching and Grabner himself have been pretty upfront that he needs atleast another year in the WHL and probably atleast a year in the AHL. Unless he makes some big, big strides this year I don't think we'll see Grabner even be seriously considered for a full time position until 08/09.

I don't really see the harm in this nor do I see the intent of rushing a prospect. They him under contract at some time and they might as well do it now. Of course I fully expect him to be sent down last day of camp. I don't think we'll see him get the 9 game tutorial before being sent down. I wouldn't be on board for that because I don't think he's physically mature enough to handle regular season speed, strength, and power....visions of Brue and a broken sternum and broken leg pass through my head. Injuries I think Brule suffered in part because physicaly he just wasn't ready to handle the NHL.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

hmmm..... burned on Kesler...

signed early 3 year with prospect....

Looks like DN learned his lesson to me. He is locking up a prospect.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Entwonder
CC Veteran

Post by Entwonder »

I thought the first three years were restricted in terms, so there is little to negotiate for a top flight player. It's the year(s) between the rookie contracts and elegibility for arbitration (i.e. Kesler) that need to be locked in to prevent poaching offers.