Watching Bourdon Skate - Not What I Wanted To See

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

If he's not ready skill-wise, I'd send him down, but I don't think that's the problem, he was ready last year and from my understanding, hasn't lost his raw ability. I think those that are saying that it's a result of his injury (either it's still bothering him, he hasn't recovered his strength in his leg, or his conditioning is off) are on, question is whether that's best rectified in the Q or here. If we send him to the Q, can we be sure they won't push him to play before he's ready? Whereas if we keep him here, we can look after his health better. On the other hand, we'd be more reluctant to play him at the NHL tempo meaning he might not get enough ice-time to develop properly...

This is one of those decisions that might have to be made by the medical experts, if they feel he can recover while playing third-pairing minutes, then keep him and deal with it, otherwise, I'd send him down.
Mark
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

In defense of the kid in the last year he's had 4 coaches all asking for different system and wishes
cheers
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

Fred wrote:Does he have a bad ankle I really don't know and unless your on the training staff not likely to know either.
Well, the typical healing time for the injury he sustained last spring is 18 months. I don't have full access to the training staff, but I do have a calendar. I think it is pretty safe to say that when you compare his skating stride pre and post injury there is a visible difference.

How much this factor and not other factors is contributing to an underwhelming showing by Bourdon is a different matter. But I think that it is pretty safe to say that there are some lingering effects.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'll tell you what I saw tonight against the Sharks, Bourdon is very suspectible to being beat to the outside, very easy !! it has to be a concern. Plus when he receives the pucks it's the old chop it a few times before he makes a play.

Not all is black though Edler had a steady game and Krajecek looked pretty good to.

On a whole the canucks were to the outside in the Sharks zone, the Sharks depsite having their bigmen sitting out were going to the net, big difference.
cheers
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

This Bourdon skating issue is throwing a wrench into the whole Nonis game plan. We have lost JOVO ( couldn't afford him anyway) & Allen (boy would I like to see him back..playing with KRAJICEK would be sweet) knowing BOURDON is READY to play in the NHL. From what I've seen, read & heard....he's should be playing in Manitoba. Is going back to junior going to help or not? He already has bad habits from playing against weaker competion. He was pretty dominant at that level.
That said, is there any leadership with the Moose where he can learn his trade? With how shallow our defenseman pool is he may stay with the big team...lets hope he gets enough minutes to develop.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Soapy wrote:From what I've seen, read & heard....he's should be playing in Manitoba. Is going back to junior going to help or not? He already has bad habits from playing against weaker competion.
From what I understand, he's ineligible for Manitoba (because I think he's too young); he either makes the team or gets sent back to the juniors. And then unless it's an emergency situation, he can't get called up to the big club. :mad:
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

That's too bad that he can't play in the minors. I guess the rule is there to stop teams from stealing all the talent from junior hockey. Its too bad. IMO his next step would be to go to Manitoba & recover from his bad ankle. He would get tons of minutes to get his confidence playing against men.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

You have to 20 to play in the minors - I belive some players from European pro leagues are exempt from that rule.

It's just a rule so that young players don't screw themselves over with all the booze, drugs, and other such nice things.
Entwonder
CC Veteran

Post by Entwonder »

If he is on the NHL roster for 10 games.. then he can't go back to junior. So spot play him for 10 games.. then have him play with the Moose for awhile. Of course this strategy only makes sense if you assume Bourdon will recover from his injury and contribute solidly in the second half of the season.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Fred wrote:I'll tell you what I saw tonight against the Sharks, Bourdon is very suspectible to being beat to the outside, very easy !! it has to be a concern. Plus when he receives the pucks it's the old chop it a few times before he makes a play.
That's exactly what I saw from the first pre-season game against the Sharks (in San Jose). As of now, he doesn't look ready.