Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:14 pm Very strong rumors on Canucks closing in on a 4 year 5 to 5.25 for Toffoli. https://twitter.com/NHLRumorsDaily/stat ... 2677091329
Here's what the top mods at HF say about your source NHLRumorsDaily:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... 65/page-10
Please refrain from posting unreliable sources in this thread. Not sure what that means? Roger Dicklund, NHLrumorsdaily or Forever Blueshirts4 are not reliable.

What is a credible source? Brooks, McKenzie, Dreger, etc.

Take this as your one and only warning. Thank you.
The mods on the Trade board over there know their stuff.

Yeah so not sure that makes for "strong rumors(sic)" there Mick.
Yeah so how did those "very strong rumours" turn out there Micky? :drink:
Considering that it is a proven fact that Ghomer doesn't actually read anything in its entirety, I'd bet he saw a headline that said

Tyler Toffoli close to signing $4M with Canadiens.....but stopped reading at Can.....
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

For those of you waiting for more entertainment from a Gomer roasting, here is a little funny piece by those 2 Alberta homers who do the videos. It’s on Passittobulis.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... eo-2823501
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:10 pm For those of you waiting for more entertainment from a Gomer roasting, here is a little funny piece by those 2 Alberta homers who do the videos. It’s on Passittobulis.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... eo-2823501
Ya, I've seen that somewhere.
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:34 pm Benning offered Levio a contract for less than a million. Levio didn't take it. There is no crap to give JB on this.
That's disappointing if Leivo picked Calgary over here. There's some great centres to play with here (ie: Petey, BoHo, Gauds will be good and JT is pretty much a centre). What do they have over there: Monahan? Backlund? They're OK I guess, but I'd take our top 2 over theirs' any day. Maybe he sees a better opportunity in CowTown or is good buds with Tan-man or something.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:07 pm I’m not worried about adding reinforcements before the season starts. I think Benning was looking for a chance to call up some Utica defensemen last season, but for some inexplicable reason there were very few injuries on the back end. It’s time to see what their defensive prospects have at the NHL level. Another defensemen can be added a the trade deadline if none of the prospects do well and one is needed.
Yeah, I'm actually quite bullish on the One-Eyed Rafferty, so this may be his chance. It's a bit risky to open up a spot for young guy, but it may have a good payoff as well. I just think Hamonic is sitting there up for grabs and it'd be nice to add him to our D core. A combo of adding Schmidt + Hamonic would be a huge upgrade over Tanev + Stecher. Right now it's just Schmidt and a question mark. I guess it might be time to see if any of Rafferty, Juolevi or Chatfield can play in the NHL.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:31 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:34 pm Benning offered Levio a contract for less than a million. Levio didn't take it. There is no crap to give JB on this.
That's disappointing if Leivo picked Calgary over here. There's some great centres to play with here (ie: Petey, BoHo, Gauds will be good and JT is pretty much a centre). What do they have over there: Monahan? Backlund? They're OK I guess, but I'd take our top 2 over theirs' any day. Maybe he sees a better opportunity in CowTown or is good buds with Tan-man or something.
He sees their depth chart.

Then looks at ours. He sees ice time over there.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:42 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:07 pm I’m not worried about adding reinforcements before the season starts. I think Benning was looking for a chance to call up some Utica defensemen last season, but for some inexplicable reason there were very few injuries on the back end. It’s time to see what their defensive prospects have at the NHL level. Another defensemen can be added a the trade deadline if none of the prospects do well and one is needed.
Yeah, I'm actually quite bullish on the One-Eyed Rafferty, so this may be his chance. It's a bit risky to open up a spot for young guy, but it may have a good payoff as well. I just think Hamonic is sitting there up for grabs and it'd be nice to add him to our D core. A combo of adding Schmidt + Hamonic would be a huge upgrade over Tanev + Stecher. Right now it's just Schmidt and a question mark. I guess it might be time to see if any of Rafferty, Juolevi or Chatfield can play in the NHL.
Question mark for who?

Us fans who never see anything,

Or management and coaches who see the prospects daily (when they are playing)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:07 am
it sounds like he might be more focused on finding another defenseman and spending most of whatever cap money remains there and that would be the right decision.
This. I imagine they’d like to sign another veteran D man. I’m all for having one or two kids back there but not three assuming they go with 8 D. Even if they go with 7, there’s still room for one youngster if they sign a vet, and it isn’t like any of the kids are/were blowing the doors off to make the big team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

No-way we can fit in Haminic. Not unless he wants to play for half what he was making. He's got rough mileage on him too and is also 30.
We're getting on here and he's still out there. He's a UFA and wants some security.
I understand the abrasiveness he brings is enticing but can't see us in the mix.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hamonic is injured just as often as Tanev
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:03 pm
No-way we can fit in Haminic.
UMMMM. It's a fluid situation, Jimmy can fit in whoever he wants to fit in.

If Hamonic wants to sign here on a reasonable deal, perhaps Jimmy pays a bit of a price to unload Benn.

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:03 pm Not unless he wants to play for half what he was making.
Well some guys are signing for half of what they were making so...

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:03 pm He's got rough mileage on him too and is also 30.
So he will sign for half what he was making? 8-)

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:03 pm We're getting on here and he's still out there. He's a UFA and wants some security.
Wake up Mick, most of the UFAs this year aren't getting security...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If I heard the idiots on the radio correctly Vancouver has 39 players signed. Still room for some one way 1 million dollar guys that could be buried in the minors if they don’t make the team. Unless the Italians have cut off the purse strings?

I think it was the correct move to not buy out Sutter. Not that I’m a fan, but having dead money on the books for 21/22 doesn’t make much sense.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:57 pm If I heard the idiots on the radio correctly Vancouver has 39 players signed. Still room for some one way 1 million dollar guys that could be buried in the minors if they don’t make the team. Unless the Italians have cut off the purse strings?

I think it was the correct move to not buy out Sutter. Not that I’m a fan, but having dead money on the books for 21/22 doesn’t make much sense.
JB already said a while ago (last week perhaps??) that he wouldn’t be using buyouts. Not sure why the radio guys would even be speculating that
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:20 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:57 pm If I heard the idiots on the radio correctly Vancouver has 39 players signed. Still room for some one way 1 million dollar guys that could be buried in the minors if they don’t make the team. Unless the Italians have cut off the purse strings?

JB already said a while ago (last week perhaps??) that he wouldn’t be using buyouts. Not sure why the radio guys would even be speculating that
The buyout window is closed. My point is, that perhaps they may sign a couple guys on 1 million dollar deals that could be buried if necessary. Cheap depth as they can’t run the team and a farm team with 39 players.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Ah. Gotcha. Now I see what your getting at.

That 39 number, it prolly is just the NHL contracts. How many straight Utica contracts does Utica have?