Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:33 pm So by trading a 3rd in 2022 does anyone think Benning is keeping his full compliment of 2021 picks in case he wants to offer sheet someone?
With a shade under $2M in cap space left, and Jake still unsigned, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how he pulls that off.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:33 pm So by trading a 3rd in 2022 does anyone think Benning is keeping his full compliment of 2021 picks in case he wants to offer sheet someone?
I can't imagine it myself with the cap shape we're in. I guess you never know, he really pulled a rabbit out of his hat with Schmidt.

Still, it's always nice to retain all your picks. It's how I like to roll.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:46 pm
With a shade under $2M in cap space left, and Jake still unsigned, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how he pulls that off.
I'm thinking he must be banking the Ferland cap hit at this point.

That extra $3.5 along with the $1.9 should take care of Jake and Gaudette and 6/7 D like Fantenburg, which puts us in pretty good shape.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

There the nearly $2 million in relief they would see by sending Eriksson and Baertchi down to Utica as well. That another angle I'm sure their two cap guys are looking at.
el rey del mambo
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:50 pm

That extra $3.5 along with the $1.9 should take care of Jake and Gaudette and 6/7 D like Fantenburg, which puts us in pretty good shape.
I think Benning will also add a cheap but good forward for a million or so and send Eriksson down if there is an AHL. There will be a lot of unsigned forwards who are losing a little more leverage each day - Soderberg, Brassard, Perry, maybe Grabner later, might all be had pretty cheaply in a couple months.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:57 pm There the nearly $2 million in relief they would see by sending Eriksson and Baertchi down to Utica as well. That another angle I'm sure their two cap guys are looking at.
If I'm not mistaken they have to call someone up if they send either of those guys down. So that $1M of savings would be largely eaten up by the 2-way salary coming back. Maybe there's a loop hole there if they send them down before the season starts? I dunno.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:01 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:57 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:38 pm Nate Schmidt to Vancouver :D

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-ac ... -1.1538099
I hope Vegas threw in some fresh underwear for the panty-wetters in the market.

Blob, your thoughts?
Good pick up... still a few NHL players short of a team including no D depth that can play the right side.... after you stop chomping Doc’s cock..... ESQ ..... your thoughts?
Mr. Miserable still not happy? C’mon Doyle’s! Jim is like Blondie from the good the bad the ugly. Extremely calculating. He saw this coming, he got the vibe early that Pietrangelo was Vegas bound. Fuck is Jimbro good!!
Hmm, interesting interesting, Its almost like....he didn't tie up his one phone line trying to bend over Arizona for OEL, knew this was in the pipeline once Vegas got Pietrangelo to Piet Pien to Piaper, then got his D upgrade.

Or, I dunno, maybe he only has one phone line and lost Tanev and Stecher and just , I dunno, farted his way into this deal? Is that the narrative?

Blob, you wrote a long post about Benning only making one call all week to Arizona, your thoughts?
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:06 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:50 pm

I think Benning will also add a cheap but good forward for a million or so and send Eriksson down if there is an AHL. There will be a lot of unsigned forwards who are losing a little more leverage each day - Soderberg, Brassard, Perry, maybe Grabner later, might all be had pretty cheaply in a couple months.
I think you're right. the longer we wait, the better the deals will get on players. Bargains, bargains, we can't be undersold! Volume, volume, pump up the volume :D
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:11 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:57 pm There the nearly $2 million in relief they would see by sending Eriksson and Baertchi down to Utica as well. That another angle I'm sure their two cap guys are looking at.
If I'm not mistaken they have to call someone up if they send either of those guys down. So that $1M of savings would be largely eaten up by the 2-way salary coming back. Maybe there's a loop hole there if they send them down before the season starts? I dunno.
Not at the beginning of the season I don't think Mëds. Everybody starts with a clean slate, no one is handed a roster spot.

I could be wrong.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:01 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:57 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:38 pm Nate Schmidt to Vancouver :D

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-ac ... -1.1538099
I hope Vegas threw in some fresh underwear for the panty-wetters in the market.

Blob, your thoughts?
Good pick up... still a few NHL players short of a team including no D depth that can play the right side.... after you stop chomping Doc’s cock..... ESQ ..... your thoughts?
Mr. Miserable still not happy? C’mon Doyle’s! Jim is like Blondie from the good the bad the ugly. Extremely calculating. He saw this coming, he got the vibe early that Pietrangelo was Vegas bound. Fuck is Jimbro good!!
Hmm, interesting interesting, Its almost like....he didn't tie up his one phone line trying to bend over Arizona for OEL, knew this was in the pipeline once Vegas got Pietrangelo to Piet Pien to Piaper, then got his D upgrade.

Or, I dunno, maybe he only has one phone line and lost Tanev and Stecher and just , I dunno, farted his way into this deal? Is that the narrative?

Blob, you wrote a long post about Benning only making one call all week to Arizona, your thoughts?
Enjoy Doc’s forum :)
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:36 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:44 pm And just a third rounder goin' back to Vegas as well.

Cool Hand Jim went bargain hunting :D
We called it didn't we Meg! :cheers:
You bet we did :drink:

What? When? Where's Willie D? Did someone call this trade before it happened? I'll read back and see what I missed. :oops:
"evolution"
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Good pickup by Benning. Wish Schmidt was 27 instead of 29 considering his contract and age of the core, but the acquisition cost is pretty sweet. Like UWS pointed out, I don't think Benning wanted to be hemmed-in by term and NMCs - which is what Markstrom and Tanev wanted in the end. With that, and a flat cap, in mind this was about as good a deal as he could have gotten to fill a top-4 hole.

People bitching about Benning letting Toffoli go after what he gave up in trade need to recall that that trade was made before COVID kicked the league out of whack. Without the pandemic, the flat cap and internal revenue struggles, I have little doubt that Benning would have been happy to re-sign Toffoli at a similar deal to what he got in Montreal. Toffoli is a COVID casualty for the club.

While I'm not expecting anything dramatic from the youngsters likely to fill in the rest of the cracks in the roster, I anticipate that they'll fill those depth holes sufficiently that the team won't take too much of a step backwards.

I suspect we've seen the big drama for the team this offseason, barring the Virtanen arbitration and Gaudette signing.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Didn't get a chance to read all the reaction here to today's events yet, so sorry if someone already brought this up but my initial thoughts upon hearing the Schmidt signing is the sum of today becomes trading Tyler Madden, a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder for Nate Schmidt.

If you don't look at as giving up a lot only to lose Toffoli, but rather in its entirety a single trade to gain Schmidt, that's really not a bad deal at all. Certainly takes the sting away from feeling like we lost those assets for nothing. Not to mention retaining the potential haul of assets we would've lost on the OEL deal..a 1st rounder, OJ, Hog,...or whatever the package would've been.

We can debate till the cows come home who of the 3 D (OEL, Schmidt, or Tanev) we would've been better off with while taking all their ramifications into consideration, but for me it's easy, I choose Schmidt and imo today couldn't have worked out any better with how we got him. Was super impressed with him during both Vegas' runs.

Lastly, again haven't scrolled posts yet but if someone hasn't posted a gif of Schmidt's bomb past Marky in the playoffs they should now. Funny how painful that was last month and looks so damn sweet now.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:43 am
Lastly, again haven't scrolled posts yet but if someone hasn't posted a gif of Schmidt's bomb past Marky in the playoffs they should now. Funny how painful that was last month and looks so damn sweet now.
The second thing I did when I heard of the trade was post that exact goal in Mick's thread of links.
"evolution"
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:49 am [The second thing I did when I heard of the trade was post that exact goal in Mick's thread of links.
Good goin'!

Me thinks this deal had to have been in the works for a while as a fallback plan to OEL. Partially explains why we let guys walk and why Vegas was able to go after AP. Wondered why we couldn't even retain Stech's measly 1.7. Now we know?