Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

My guess is theres another bottom pairing piece added but that can be acquired much closer to the season start to find another bargain.

Schmidt was basically a free asset. There will be groans around the league about not getting a crack at NS.

GMJB is one of the best in the league. Its not even in question anymore. Hes hammering home runs outta the park like Doyle burns through his bud lite appletinis
If you need air...call it in
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:59 pm Schmidt is an upgrade on Tanev. Mission accomplished; top 4 upgraded. Patience people.....

Benn will be a 5-7, Juolevi and/or Rafferty will be a 5-7, and a Fantenberg type will be signed to compete for 5-7 spot.
UWS is right on the money again with his in-depth analysis. Benning was waiting for bargains like this. If it wasn't Schmidt, it would have been someone else. We capitalized on a few more of these deals, we would be in decent shape.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:11 pm My guess is theres another bottom pairing piece added but that can be acquired much closer to the season start to find another bargain.

Schmidt was basically a free asset. There will be groans around the league about not getting a crack at NS.

GMJB is one of the best in the league. Its not even in question anymore. Hes hammering home runs outta the park like Doyle burns through his bud lite appletinis
Yeah... no, it’s a base knock up the middle. Hardly a bomb. Schmidt is owed a lot of cake for a lot of years. Elmer got bent over the last few days and fucked dry, a stick shoved up his ass and thrown into the fire. He got up, dusted himself off and finally landed a punch. He still has work to do.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:11 pm My guess is theres another bottom pairing piece added but that can be acquired much closer to the season start to find another bargain.

You know the "Schmidt's cap and term are too much, and he's a PED cheat" crowd is itching to bust this out...
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:07 pm UW they have 3 1/2 NHL d men. Hughes and Petterson want to compete. I am fine with two steps back for two years. I don’t think they are. After they sign Gaudette and Virtanen they have about 4 million bucks.
4 1/2.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:22 pm

You know the "Schmidt's cap and term are too much, and he's a PED cheat" crowd is itching to bust this out...
Cool Hand Jim will laugh that stuff off as usual.

He's not the guy with soiled trousers in the room.
el rey del mambo
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

ESQ wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:53 pm 31 yo Tanev and Marky out, Holtby and Schmidt in.

Toffoli and Stecher walk, but both replaceable from within - a .5ppg dinner and a 15 min/night defenceman.

Oh, and a third.

Shaping up to be not a bad little off-season!
I'd definitely take Holtby for 2x$4.3 and running him a Demko over Markstrom at 6x$6. Easily.

Schmidt at 5x$5.95 versus Tanev at 4x$4.5? Yes, I'd take that too but depending on how they move out cap, perhaps not quite as easily.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Mëds wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:24 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:07 pm UW they have 3 1/2 NHL d men. Hughes and Petterson want to compete. I am fine with two steps back for two years. I don’t think they are. After they sign Gaudette and Virtanen they have about 4 million bucks.
4 1/2.
They're also counting on Juolevi being a third pairing guy based on what he showed in his brief audition I think, which was pretty impressive considering he hadn't looked anywhere close to that good previously.

He has been written off pretty much, but I at least am encouraged by what I saw there.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:21 pm
Yeah... no, it’s a base knock up the middle. Hardly a bomb.
No way man. Schmidt is going to be a YUUUGE upgrade to the top 4. This guy was one of the main reasons they dominated teams so badly in possession numbers. He is a very talented puck moving defenseman with some balls.

This market will be huge Schmidt-heads by 20 games, I guarantee it
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:25 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:22 pm

Cool Hand Jim will laugh that stuff off as usual.

He's not the guy with soiled trousers in the room.
...owed a lot of cake for a lot of years...

Yup.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Yeah the leaves, Flames, and Oilers can groan away.
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:31 pm
Yeah the Leaves, Flames, and Oilers can groan away.
The mongoloids are already rationalizing why Tanev's 4x4 is way better than Schmidt's 5x 5.95.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Raging Fury wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm
The mongoloids are already rationalizing why Tanev's 4x4 is way better than Schmidt's 5x 5.95.
As Canucks fans are rationalizing whether Schmidt's a better fit at 5x$5.95 than OEL at 7x$8.25
I like it better this way.

Good for Benning to pull this part of it off, it's legit thievery. Now comes moving out dollars.
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:15 pm
Raging Fury wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm
As Canucks fans are rationalizing whether Schmidt's a better fit at 5x$5.95 than OEL at 7x$8.25
I like it better this way.

Good for Benning to pull this part of it off, it's legit thievery. Now comes moving out dollars.
I'm one of the people here that questioned OEL's worth at 7x8.25, so for me this is a no brainer. Maybe because of my cheapskate nature, I like picking up a good deal. Schmidt is definitely a good deal for a 3rd rounder.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Benning exploited the situation. Down the road this will be remembered favourably like the Ehrhoff acquisition