Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Curmudgeon »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:00 pm Its a harsh reality. Who knows how much more luck Benning would have had in moving contracts if COVID had not hit? I think he might have had more opportunity. But having said that this is the reality. The bad contracts have hurt any chance of signing some FA. But, for whatever reason, whether its Benning himself or a mandate fro ownership, Benning has not gone crazy and traded picks or good prospects to try and move contracts.

If we have to eat contracts this year lets hope we get a few kids into the lineup to give them some experience. Same for those that have two years left on term. Patience is indeed the key for the next two seasons. Being patient for two more seasons isn't closing any windows. Somewhere along the line he still maybe able to move a contract or two or make a good hockey trade. I just don't want to see reactionary panic set in and see him trading picks and assets.

I like that he he moved on from Markstrom at that cost, same with Tanev. TT I am on the fence because I think we could have absorbed that one.

Breathe.....

Yeah the COVID certainly hurts and it's impacting most other teams too but some have been able to move out cap because their money was better spent in the first place. Still an unforeseen barrier.

Edit: I'm on board with Markstrom and Tanev too and maybe Toffoli is the COVID casualty.

Look at the bright side, at least we're not leaves fans thinking Zach Bogosian, an over the hill Wayne Simmonds, and TJ "soft as butter defensive adventure" Brodie will put us over the top.
Last edited by Curmudgeon on Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dangler wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:42 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:40 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:38 pm I’m a fat bald alcoholic that lives in Abbotsford and I love some Benning semen
Had to fix again :lol:
Get a grip man
your act is getting really old quick
Eat my shorts. I’m laughing at the meat puppets who think Elmer can do no wrong. He has no grasp of a salary cap at all.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:56 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:49 pm If you include Ferland, they already are a cap team.
With 3 D men good enough to play in the league :lol:
Maybe?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:27 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:23 pm Fixed for truth Doc107
Truth is you're out to liquid lunch.

Just before Covid, Bill Daly announced the 2020-21 salary cap would be between $84M and $88M.

You're sitting there on a pile of your own excrement trying to justify the stench of dat dere.
And beyond that, the Cap's average increase was 5.4% over its lifetime. And it had just had a minor bump heading into 2019-20 (about 2.5%). Bettman had signalled that it was going to be $83M, but they walked it back. When the announcement as to what it was ($81.5) a bit late in the process (I think during the draft) they coupled with the observation they fully anticipated it would be going up next year. And I think the reason the cap was held down was not the owners, but the *players.* To understand this, you have to understand escrow and the fact that the players were getting returned less than half the escrow. Increasing caps mean increasing salaries, but not necessarily salaries minus withheld and not returned escrow. And increasing cap does not increase the total of what players take home if revenues don't increase.

Setting this aside, GM's made decisions based on an expectation of the cap increasing and they have always done so since the cap era began. ALL of the GMs. I am sure that teams plot players salaries (and set their negotiation positions) on the basis of expected "percentage of the cap" as opposed to just thinking about the raw number. Heck, the raw number isn't even a real number given escrow.

These numbers aren't chump change, either. Contracts are signed at 11.5% of cap space over six years would be expected to about 9% by the end of the term. (For actual numbers, I did a post the other day comparing Marner, Rantanen, and Aho). That's changing big time now -- expect at least two years more of a flat cap, maybe many more years and smaller than 5% increases when it comes back because the new CBA amendment caps escrow (if I recall correctly) at decreasing percentage. Moreover, there is a second withholding in place, I believe, that is guaranteed (unlike escrow) but will be paid back in the future. Consider it like a note. When revenues return, these note holders will get paid and revenue that might have looked good for bumping up the cap is going to be absorbed by these note payments. When the Kraken pay their expansion fees, guess where a good deal of that money (about $8 million per team) is going to go?

Anyway, it is this stuff that has depressed the UFA market. Actual dollar multi year deals will have a greater than formerly expected contribution to total cap space. And it makes the future far less certain -- while the cap went up a lot or a little (and one year down) from year to year, when you were looking at a 6 year window, you could be pretty confident what it was going to do. That's not true at all because the revenues have plummeted and (and will continue to plummet so long as there are mass gathering restrictions) and the second withholding. If the NHL weren't expanding, things would be even tighter.
Hono_rary Canadian
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:47 pm Now there are comments floating around about an internal cap for this offseason after only recently the team stating they were going to be a cap team and then going all in on the short and long term OEL big ticket. It doesn't add up and only substantiates the appearances of having no plan and not being prepared.
It doesn't add up because: The "comments floating around about an internal cap" are 100% Grade A bullshit.

Canucks management does have a plan, Canucks management was fully prepared.

Yeah it doesn't add up but maybe go on Twitter and tell this guy. lol

https://twitter.com/SatiarShah/status/1 ... 4622024704

I guess we'll see about their plan and preparation then. Hope you're right.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:20 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:47 pm Now there are comments floating around about an internal cap for this offseason after only recently the team stating they were going to be a cap team and then going all in on the short and long term OEL big ticket. It doesn't add up and only substantiates the appearances of having no plan and not being prepared.
It doesn't add up because: The "comments floating around about an internal cap" are 100% Grade A bullshit.

What adds up is that the Canucks don't want Toffoli and Tanev as part of their team moving forward at that price.

For reasons I am not going to explain at length in a UWS style post 2019-20 Stecher + Gaudette + Motte + Virtanen AAV should approximately equal 2020-21 Gaudette + Motte + Virtanen AAVs. Holtby costs the Canucks another $634K on top of last year -- but that's chump change considering they are getting a goalie of Markstrom's caliber and Marky is making a lot more. So for a little more money, you are down a defenseman.

Tanev and Toffoli didn't get raises; they are making what they made last year (Toffoli a little less, Tanev barely more). Without them, the Canucks are down another defenseman and a forward.

So could the Canucks have signed both? Probably, presuming Ferland to the IR. But did they want to sign them at that price? Absolutely not if those guys wanted term. Toffoli is another option on a team that doesn't suffer for goal scoring without him. The "need" to resign Toffoli has never existed. And you don't buy luxury when belts are getting tightened.

Tanev is a steady-but-declining defensemen with spotted durability history and who is a far better bet for the next couple years than projecting further. I'd have welcomed him back on a short deal; I don't think he's worth 4 @ 4.5 with a NMC (though I suspect the Canucks might have had him for less).

So where does this leave the Canucks? (1) They don't have to replace a RW, there are internal options and (2) they need at least 2 defensemen. Let's presume a couple of things. One -- the Canucks will fill one defensemen slot with an internal promotion -- Juolevi, Rafferty, or (less likely) Chatfield, Brisebois, or Rathbone. Woo is probably a couple more years out. Good news here, there are not only options, but there are options if choice #1 coming out of camp doesn't look hot. Two -- Fantenberg style 6/7 defensemen will be available at or near league minimum all the way until camps start (and maybe later). It is also possible to start with two rookies. And what does this mean? It means that Canucks really need to worry about adding a single player to the organization -- a right shot defensemen.

Now tell me, if that's really the basic need that you have, would you rather fill it with Tanev, Tanev's salary, or Tanev's salary PLUS most of Toffoli's to make something happen? Moreover, isn't the Canucks largest need a top 4 defensemen? Is Tanev that guy for you? With the two salaries, a top 4 is a real possibility.

THIS is the plan, and I bet it has been all along.

But UWS, all of those UFA defensemen got taken, and some of them were better than Tanev and could have been made to fit inside them cap. Everyone but AP could have been made to fit, even Krug. Sure, but even with a depressed market, you are buying at the peak of the market and you are getting age. The Canucks have Myers on a long term deal; that's their luxury buy-high; they can't afford another to not work out.

So I think that what the Canucks are doing is biding their time for the right RFA or cap strapped team to come looking for help after their RFA negotiations didn't work out so well. Every year players are available in this posture (or a year out from UFA). Every year the best time to find these players is after the hub bub of the free agent frenzy.

Well, who's on that list? Well over half the league is on a list of teams that are in far worse situation that the Canucks in terms of the cap (external or internal) and who will be trying to get rid of contracts as they work through RFAs. My favorite target of the moment is Ryan Pulock. I am having trouble seeing how they can fit in both Barzal and Pulock and another defensemen to be the #7. And if a target doesn't work for a potential long term signing, there are plenty of older players who are at or slightly above Tanev's caliber who can be counted on for a season or two as a bridge and whose salary and term won't impede the Pettersson and Hughes signings. And what's on the end of that bridge? At least two more years of flat-cap depressed UFA markets if the internal development is insufficient.

Bottom line -- the Canucks haven't upgraded this offseason, yet. But if they were to upgrade their top 4, what's happening now is counterintuitively the best way to go about it.
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

UW they have 3 1/2 NHL d men. Hughes and Petterson want to compete. I am fine with two steps back for two years. I don’t think they are. After they sign Gaudette and Virtanen they have about 4 million bucks.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:47 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:56 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 am Benning had said for a while they had to upgrade the defense and it wasn't going to be Hughes, Edler, or Myers so how can it be a surprise when Tanev and Stecher are out? Plus it sounds like he didn't have much contact with their agents over a period of time, the writing was clearly on the wall, but the mistake he made with those two was circling back to them after OEL and a couple other things fell apart and that's a poor look.

My issue is the lack of preparation. They knew they needed to move on from Tanev, Stecher, and also ultimately Edler and haven't prepared. Since Benning took over they've had 12 picks in the first two rounds and only selected defensemen three times despite the glaring need and only one of those were right side. Then this past year he gave up assets to get two more forwards in Miller and Toffoli when they should have used some of those to target a RHD instead of, say, Toffoli. Both good players and good additions but were they both necessary at the expense of the defense? Anyway, dead horse and all. lol
Well said. This is probably a fairly accurate take on why most people are feeling a bit less than impressed with Benning & Co. right now.

I wonder if they got derailed by the sudden availability of OEL on the market, took their shot, missed, and because they didn't think they were going to miss they let a few other balls drop.

Either way, what you say about stated needs and the appearance of unpreparedness rings true.
I don't think the OEL deal impacted Tanev or Stecher, they were gone, but I wouldn't be surprised if other players may have slipped by them.

Now there are comments floating around about an internal cap for this offseason after only recently the team stating they were going to be a cap team and then going all in on the short and long term OEL big ticket. It doesn't add up and only substantiates the appearances of having no plan and not being prepared. Social media, the local sports media, and the fan boards are going to be a complete shitshow for the next while and won't be for the faint of heart if you're looking for any objectivity or big picture clarity but I have to admit the optics are pretty embarrassing.

Lol. ‘It doesn’t add up’ :D

Of course it don’t add up when you listen and believe everything you hear in the media and read in the internet!! When there is buckets of bullshit being sloshed around as ‘rumours’ to create click bait for Gomer to link, of course it won’t add up!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:02 pm

What adds up is that the Canucks don't want Toffoli and Tanev as part of their team moving forward at that price.

For reasons I am not going to explain at length in a UWS style post 2019-20 Stecher + Gaudette + Motte + Virtanen AAV should approximately equal 2020-21 Gaudette + Motte + Virtanen AAVs. Holtby costs the Canucks another $634K on top of last year -- but that's chump change considering they are getting a goalie of Markstrom's caliber and Marky is making a lot more. So for a little more money, you are down a defenseman.

Tanev and Toffoli didn't get raises; they are making what they made last year (Toffoli a little less, Tanev barely more). Without them, the Canucks are down another defenseman and a forward.

So could the Canucks have signed both? Probably, presuming Ferland to the IR. But did they want to sign them at that price? Absolutely not if those guys wanted term. Toffoli is another option on a team that doesn't suffer for goal scoring without him. The "need" to resign Toffoli has never existed. And you don't buy luxury when belts are getting tightened.

Tanev is a steady-but-declining defensemen with spotted durability history and who is a far better bet for the next couple years than projecting further. I'd have welcomed him back on a short deal; I don't think he's worth 4 @ 4.5 with a NMC (though I suspect the Canucks might have had him for less).

So where does this leave the Canucks? (1) They don't have to replace a RW, there are internal options and (2) they need at least 2 defensemen. Let's presume a couple of things. One -- the Canucks will fill one defensemen slot with an internal promotion -- Juolevi, Rafferty, or (less likely) Chatfield, Brisebois, or Rathbone. Woo is probably a couple more years out. Good news here, there are not only options, but there are options if choice #1 coming out of camp doesn't look hot. Two -- Fantenberg style 6/7 defensemen will be available at or near league minimum all the way until camps start (and maybe later). It is also possible to start with two rookies. And what does this mean? It means that Canucks really need to worry about adding a single player to the organization -- a right shot defensemen.

Now tell me, if that's really the basic need that you have, would you rather fill it with Tanev, Tanev's salary, or Tanev's salary PLUS most of Toffoli's to make something happen? Moreover, isn't the Canucks largest need a top 4 defensemen? Is Tanev that guy for you? With the two salaries, a top 4 is a real possibility.

But UWS, all of those UFA defensemen got taken, and some of them were better than Tanev and could have been made to fit inside them cap. Everyone but AP could have been made to fit, even Krug. Sure, but even with a depressed market, you are buying at the peak of the market and you are getting age. The Canucks have Myers on a long term deal; that's their luxury buy-high; they can't afford another to not work out.

So I think that what the Canucks are doing is biding their time for the right RFA or cap strapped team to come looking for help after their RFA negotiations didn't work out so well. Every year players are available in this posture (or a year out from UFA). Every year the best time to find these players is after the hub bub of the free agent frenzy.

Well, who's on that list? Well over half the league is on a list of teams that are in far worse situation that the Canucks in terms of the cap (external or internal) and who will be trying to get rid of contracts as they work through RFAs. My favorite target of the moment is Ryan Pulock. I am having trouble seeing how they can fit in both Barzal and Pulock and another defensemen to be the #7. And if a target doesn't work for a potential long term signing, there are plenty of older players who are at or slightly above Tanev's caliber who can be counted on for a season or two as a bridge and whose salary and term won't impede the Pettersson and Hughes signings. And what's on the end of that bridge? At least two more years of flat-cap depressed UFA markets if the internal development is insufficient.

Bottom line -- the Canucks haven't upgraded this offseason, yet. But if they were to upgrade their top 4, what's happening now is counterintuitively the best way to go about it.
+1
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Exactly but where does the OEL strategy fit into this?

Yes, Pulock or Cernak.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:37 pm
dangler wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:00 pm Its a harsh reality. Who knows how much more luck Benning would have had in moving contracts if COVID had not hit? I think he might have had more opportunity. But having said that this is the reality. The bad contracts have hurt any chance of signing some FA. But, for whatever reason, whether its Benning himself or a mandate fro ownership, Benning has not gone crazy and traded picks or good prospects to try and move contracts.

If we have to eat contracts this year lets hope we get a few kids into the lineup to give them some experience. Same for those that have two years left on term. Patience is indeed the key for the next two seasons. Being patient for two more seasons isn't closing any windows. Somewhere along the line he still maybe able to move a contract or two or make a good hockey trade. I just don't want to see reactionary panic set in and see him trading picks and assets.

I like that he he moved on from Markstrom at that cost, same with Tanev. TT I am on the fence because I think we could have absorbed that one.

Breathe.....
It's not like they have to worry about selling tickets so why not take a step back and let the shitty contracts expire, don't sign any more shitty contracts, and give the prospects some NHL time in the meantime.
I think Jake was going to be their Toffoli plan B once they qualified him. And if the season goes completely sideways they should be able to trade him for a decent asset.
I didn't mind the cost of the lost UFA's, but the term just didn't make sense for the Canucks on any of them.
Wow! I would have thought the playoffs would have meant everything after what we just witnessed in the summer.
I'm not aboard with throwing away a season. What's next; Tanking and other derivatives of the essence of the word?
Three recent Calder nominees and Bo + JT, wouldn't know how to.
Not talking about tanking here. Just saying don't panic to try and reach some promised land. We have no idea how next season will play out, if ir does play out. When the season is done a shitload or contracts expire.There maybe some deals to be made pre expansion draft, who knows.

I'm all for giving a couple of the kids the full season, whatever it looks like, to get some experience and for Demko to get firmly established.

The only thing worse than being hampered by some bad contracts is to try and buy your way out of it,. Eat what you have too and be stronger for it. Just imagine having our core locked up, our second tier with some experience, and a boatload of cash ready to roll.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

‘ Well lotsa stuff was happening and we still are talking to all the other teams. Jacob was a good Canuck and Tanev too. They got retirement style contracts that we couldn’t match. We were trying to trade for a player I’m not allowed to mention cuz of that tampering stuff, but we had irons in the fire. Stecher is a battler and we wish him well, but we were talking to Barrie at that time and there’s only one phone right, like we liked Troy, but like we had only one phone and that’s how it works like ordering a pizza, you can’t have Chinese too. Then Toffoli he signed with Montreal and you know, he played in the OHL, so he probably knows people there, but we still qualified Jake Virtanen and he’s from Abbotsford and he can rip the puck, skates really fast and Travis is working with him. We have cap space and we are looking to add a D man to compete with Sautner and Chatfield and Ollie. Ollie looked like great against the Wild and he answered so many of our questions and needs. Like the COVID really threw a wrench into a lot of things and like if that didn’t happen we would have a lot more money to spend but we like a lot of our kids.’
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:09 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:47 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:56 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 am Benning had said for a while they had to upgrade the defense and it wasn't going to be Hughes, Edler, or Myers so how can it be a surprise when Tanev and Stecher are out? Plus it sounds like he didn't have much contact with their agents over a period of time, the writing was clearly on the wall, but the mistake he made with those two was circling back to them after OEL and a couple other things fell apart and that's a poor look.

My issue is the lack of preparation. They knew they needed to move on from Tanev, Stecher, and also ultimately Edler and haven't prepared. Since Benning took over they've had 12 picks in the first two rounds and only selected defensemen three times despite the glaring need and only one of those were right side. Then this past year he gave up assets to get two more forwards in Miller and Toffoli when they should have used some of those to target a RHD instead of, say, Toffoli. Both good players and good additions but were they both necessary at the expense of the defense? Anyway, dead horse and all. lol
Well said. This is probably a fairly accurate take on why most people are feeling a bit less than impressed with Benning & Co. right now.

I wonder if they got derailed by the sudden availability of OEL on the market, took their shot, missed, and because they didn't think they were going to miss they let a few other balls drop.

Either way, what you say about stated needs and the appearance of unpreparedness rings true.
I don't think the OEL deal impacted Tanev or Stecher, they were gone, but I wouldn't be surprised if other players may have slipped by them.

Now there are comments floating around about an internal cap for this offseason after only recently the team stating they were going to be a cap team and then going all in on the short and long term OEL big ticket. It doesn't add up and only substantiates the appearances of having no plan and not being prepared. Social media, the local sports media, and the fan boards are going to be a complete shitshow for the next while and won't be for the faint of heart if you're looking for any objectivity or big picture clarity but I have to admit the optics are pretty embarrassing.

Lol. ‘It doesn’t add up’ :D

Of course it don’t add up when you listen and believe everything you hear in the media and read in the internet!! When there is buckets of bullshit being sloshed around as ‘rumours’ to create click bait for Gomer to link, of course it won’t add up!
But it's all really just conjecture anyway. Never going to have the team's war room mic'd so look at the UFA and trading transactional history and how they've drafted positionally and come up with your own opinion as to what their plan is and have fun with it.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:04 pm ‘ Well lotsa stuff was happening and we still are talking to all the other teams. Jacob was a good Canuck and Tanev too. They got retirement style contracts that we couldn’t match. We were trying to trade for a player I’m not allowed to mention cuz of that tampering stuff, but we had irons in the fire. Stecher is a battler and we wish him well, but we were talking to Barrie at that time and there’s only one phone right, like we liked Troy, but like we had only one phone and that’s how it works like ordering a pizza, you can’t have Chinese too. Then Toffoli he signed with Montreal and you know, he played in the OHL, so he probably knows people there, but we still qualified Jake Virtanen and he’s from Abbotsford and he can rip the puck, skates really fast and Travis is working with him. We have cap space and we are looking to add a D man to compete with Sautner and Chatfield and Ollie. Ollie looked like great against the Wild and he answered so many of our questions and needs. Like the COVID really threw a wrench into a lot of things and like if that didn’t happen we would have a lot more money to spend but we like a lot of our kids.’
:wow:

:lol:

Thats a dedicated troll job there Doyle...you really put your back into it

:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

el rey del mambo