Brian Burke's a Lucky Man in Anaheim

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

It's Luck. If he couldn't do all these signing with no salary cap, how can he do them with a cap? He's getting lucky that he's getting all these free agents at teh right time. One player leads to another. If you sign a big name, more big names will want to come and join your team until you turn into the Wings where you have all the all-stars.
I Hart Luongo.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Fred wrote:Didn't Hansen a 9th round pick score last night ?. Mason was a 2nd round was he not as were Vincent and Ellis Plante. Koltsov is a 2nd round pick. You can't blame the the scout if the players don't sign He just identifies the talent
Delorme has done a solid job as Chief Scout since he replaced Mike Penney. Delorme has unearthed some decent talent where the Canucks' drafting position was a lot worse than when Penney was drafting (a lot higher).

One thing that does concern me is that Nonis traded a lot of early draft picks last season (Carney, Weinrich deals). In a salary-cap driven league, having cheap young talent around is crucial.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Hey just like every other mnagment team, and we all fall in to a similar pattern. You can't watch every game from every league in every country, but dollars to doughnuts any perspective pick will have been watched and agreed to byD elorme. It's clearly naive to believe Delorme only covers vancouver and Burnaby. He travels to Europe frequently to watch the player recommeneded by HIS staff.

I like Gradin too but it's not his ass on the line when a slection is made, he knows it and Delorme knows it. What is quite evident is if Gradin was the walking genius you make him out to be both Burke and DN would have made him the head scout. I like Gradin probably more than most but lets be honest all the scouts looked at Ohlund the Sedins and every other European, not just Gradin. An organisiation with the money at risk simply owuld not permit that. The essential ability for a successful team of scouts is to pull it together, they don't shoot off and do their own thing, it would be coroprate suicide.

Burke appointed Delorme for good reason and DN concured
cheers
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Fred wrote:Hey just like every other mnagment team, and we all fall in to a similar pattern. You can't watch every game from every league in every country, but dollars to doughnuts any perspective pick will have been watched and agreed to byD elorme. It's clearly naive to believe Delorme only covers vancouver and Burnaby. He travels to Europe frequently to watch the player recommeneded by HIS staff.

Burke appointed Delorme for good reason and DN concured
Ron Delorme is absolutely fine as a Chief Scout. If you look at where the Canucks have drafted the past five years (outside of the lucky draft order where Bourdon was drafted) he has done a decent job. I wasn't a fan of Mason Raymond - too much of a long shot based on his size but I do believe that Vancouver needs to quit trading away early draft picks and they need to ensure that they have good coaching in Manitoba and even in Victoria to ensure that players develop well after they get drafted.

dp

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I wasn't a fan of Mason Raymond
apparently Kevin Lowe went out of his way to compliment DN on the selection of this guy & when i spoke to Delorme he told me he wa basically a new age NHL type, skill oozing from every porse nad the ability to use at top speed. But yes he does need extra weight and I think we tend to look at ourselves and say, that shouldn't be a problem but for some it actually is :D
cheers
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Fred wrote:
I wasn't a fan of Mason Raymond
apparently Kevin Lowe went out of his way to compliment DN on the selection of this guy & when i spoke to Delorme he told me he wa basically a new age NHL type, skill oozing from every porse nad the ability to use at top speed. But yes he does need extra weight and I think we tend to look at ourselves and say, that shouldn't be a problem but for some it actually is :D
He was more of a gamble pick. He really needs to fill out and add some muscle onto his frame because he'll get killed in the NHL. He's too skinny right now. Skill-wise, yes I agree.

dp

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Brian Burke's a Lucky Man in Anaheim

Post by SRsez »

DavidPratt_ wrote:not one but TWO excellent goalies in Giguere and Bryzgalov.
:roll: :roll:

That's a bit much. Giguere is excellence on par with Cloutier. Bryzgalov still remains to be seen.

Neither is on level with Luongo, much less Brodeur, who remains the standard for exellence.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

SRsez wrote:
DavidPratt_ wrote:not one but TWO excellent goalies in Giguere and Bryzgalov.
:roll: :roll:

That's a bit much. Giguere is excellence on par with Cloutier. Bryzgalov still remains to be seen.

Neither is on level with Luongo, much less Brodeur, who remains the standard for exellence.
I agree that neither one is a superstar, but come on! Who would you rather have? Cloutier/Auld (what Burke had in Vancouver) or Giguere/Bryzgalov??

dp

*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

DavidPratt_ wrote: I agree that neither one is a superstar, but come on! Who would you rather have? Cloutier/Auld (what Burke had in Vancouver) or Giguere/Bryzgalov??
Prety obvious there. Giguere has been solid for the majority of his carrer and Bryzgalov is quite a young keeper that is still yet to buuild up but still an excellent backup.
I Hart Luongo.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

*CanucksForLife* wrote:
DavidPratt_ wrote: I agree that neither one is a superstar, but come on! Who would you rather have? Cloutier/Auld (what Burke had in Vancouver) or Giguere/Bryzgalov??
Prety obvious there. Giguere has been solid for the majority of his carrer and Bryzgalov is quite a young keeper that is still yet to buuild up but still an excellent backup.
No, it's not even close to "pretty obvious". Maybe "pretty obvious" to someone who obviously doesn't know very much.

As I pointed out, in a Cloutier/Giguere battle, it would appear that other than his uncanny ability to get hurt at precisely the wrong time, the winner would be Cloutier.

And Bryzgalov/Auld? I certainly wouldn't throw over a guy that's actually won 33 games in a season for a guy that's only played 33 games total, especially when Auld's younger, and their careers have taken place over the exact same time frame. One flukey playoff run doesn't prove a damned thing. They lost to Edmonton, remember?

So I guess the only logical answer to Dave's question is:Cloutier/Auld.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

DavidPratt_ wrote:I

Brian Burke: genius or very lucky guy in Anaheim?

dp
Combination of both. Yeah, Burke walked into a great situation, but he also created a lot of it. Getting Nieds and Pronger was a stroke of genius. The assets from the Sergei Fedorov trade also proved to be valuable.

As far as Brizgalov and Giguerre go, I'd actually consider moving Brizgalov at the trade deadline instead of Giguerre (if I was Burke).

-Brizgalov will probably have higher trade value
-Giguerre is a proven playoff perfomer. Think 200304.

To me, Brizgalov showed major signs of flakiness last season in the playoffs. Cherry pointed this out as well.

If the Ducks got a top line center or winger for Brizgalov, and Giguerre went back to his old form, the Ducks would be almost unbeatable come playoff time IMHO.