Exhibition lineup vs the Flames

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Meh... It's not so much whether they win or lose, but how certain people play in that game. I'm rooting for Reid, Schultz and Bourdon to play well. I'll be interested to find out how Reid fares against the likes of Regehr, Warrener and Phaneuf. If he can hold his own and chip in some points against that bunch, then I would say he has a shot at the big show.

We have Flaherty and MacIntyre in net, so I think it's a forgone conclusion. Let's be real here: Flaherty's on the last orbit or two of his career. He knows that management will likely get a backup via the waiver wire. If he stands on his head every game, every scrimmage and every practice he may get the spot, but even then, for what? one year? For that reason, despite his professional pride and competitiveness, I don't see us goose-egging the Flamers. Now if Schneider had all of a sudden decided to come to camp, it would be a different story...
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

The lineup against the Flames is pretty much as abrasive a lineup the Canucks can dress with the likes of Bieksa, Brown, Dwyer, Goren, McIver, Rullier, and Rypien (and if what people say are true, Santala). The only other guys I can think of are Mitchell and Pyatt.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Looking at that lineup there is no question AV just challenged the guys fighting for the last couple of spots on the team. Perform or else.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Actually, I think this will be a fun game to watch. Not a whole lot of talent on this particular pre-season 'Nucks roster, but I expect we'll see a whole lot of effort from this assortment of boys-on-the-bubble.

Expect a ton 'o chippy play. :)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Goon2
CC Rookie

Post by Goon2 »

I apologize for tuzzi -- I hope the Canucks win! My point is that I don't care what lineup we dress. Let's get the bubble boys on the ice and see what they can do at the expense of winning an ex versus the lowly Lames.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

ClamRussel wrote:Go Reid!!!!
Man you kept me waiting a long time before your affiliation with Brandon reif finally, finally broke through, way to go Clam, now if we could just get Steve Kariya back in the line up :D
cheers
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

This should be interesting. I expect Center Brandon Reid will get a lot of ice time on one of the top two lines tonight. This is his chance to shine, to light it up.

I have 100% confidence in a guy like Reid. Always have, and likely always will. Basically, he's got one more chance to do right, and it's too night, NOW GO OUT THERE AND SHOW 'EM WHAT YOU CAN DO!!!
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

have 100% confidence in a guy like Reid.
I don't have 100% confidence in Reid, but he and Brown are the two prospects I most hope make the jump this season ...

Take care...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Fred wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Go Reid!!!!
Man you kept me waiting a long time before your affiliation with Brandon reif finally, finally broke through, way to go Clam, now if we could just get Steve Kariya back in the line up :D
I'd vote Cliffy b4 Kariya......but ya, I've been trying to contain myself since BR was brought back into the fold.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Reid is on a 2way contract i.e. no chance in hell of making the opening night roster. Probably one of the top guys on the call up list though.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

magnum44 wrote:Reid is on a 2way contract i.e. no chance in hell of making the opening night roster. Probably one of the top guys on the call up list though.
Unless there's a trade, or we let a guy go through waivers, I'm expecting the number of one-ways to be pruned a bit, my guess is that they have the number they do now so that they have the flexibility through options.
Mark
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I'm expecting the number of one-ways to be pruned a bit, my guess is that they have the number they do now so that they have the flexibility through options.
Interesting point...

Burkey played the offseason differently than the other GM's last season when he signed players with little regard for his cap position...

When he was finished signing he went about dealing away contracts to get under the cap for the season opener...

I don't think our lineup is set in stone because of the number of oneways at all...

If a Brandon Reid earns a spot on the team before the season starts, I see Nonis finding a way to make room for him in the lineup, especially if the player earning the spot is on a two way at the league minimum...

If that means dealing away a one way contract, so be it....

We are being told this season is about what you do on the ice and not what you deposit into the bank...

Until I see otherwise, I am buying into the company line....

Take care...
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

rikster wrote:
I'm expecting the number of one-ways to be pruned a bit, my guess is that they have the number they do now so that they have the flexibility through options.
Interesting point...

Burkey played the offseason differently than the other GM's last season when he signed players with little regard for his cap position...

When he was finished signing he went about dealing away contracts to get under the cap for the season opener...

I don't think our lineup is set in stone because of the number of oneways at all...

If a Brandon Reid earns a spot on the team before the season starts, I see Nonis finding a way to make room for him in the lineup, especially if the player earning the spot is on a two way at the league minimum...

If that means dealing away a one way contract, so be it....

We are being told this season is about what you do on the ice and not what you deposit into the bank...

Until I see otherwise, I am buying into the company line....

Take care...
That's what I think as well, the way the coach/GM relationship works. My guess would be that AV will tell Nonis which guys he wants, and it'll be Nonis' job to make that work with the cap.
Mark
Goon2
CC Rookie

Post by Goon2 »

Tuzzi, where's our report from the game? All I know is we lost 3-1.