First round of Cuts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

First round of Cuts

Post by Madcombinepilot »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177973&hubname=nhl

Nathan Smith to the Moose...Is this guy the next Holden/Druken??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Re: First round of Cuts

Post by Meerschaum »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Nathan Smith to the Moose...Is this guy the next Holden/Druken??
Naw. Both Holden and Druken were essentially offered starting positions on past 'Nucks squads on a silver platter - AND BLEW IT!

Smith, by contrast, hasn't earned more than the odd sniff of NHL play.

In other words, our boy has underachieved even the most classic 'Nucks underachievers.

Does that make Nathan Smith the Uberunderachiever?? ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Anybody know if the Canucks hold the rights to Fortunus? I heard a lot of good things about this guy. I am surprised he was cut so early.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Meerschaum wrote: Does that make Nathan Smith the Uberunderachiever?? ;)
Not really, because he never had any expectations to begin with. Right from the moment Brian Burke wasted our first-rounder that year, they were speaking as though his career potential was as a fourth-line center. :bang: :bang: The very next pick was Brad Boyes. :bang:
gobi wrote:Anybody know if the Canucks hold the rights to Fortunus? I heard a lot of good things about this guy. I am surprised he was cut so early.
All I know is he has the best name in our system since Xavier Majic (the latter when pronounced like English). "Maxime Fortunus." He sounds like a gladiator!
Entwonder
CC Veteran

Post by Entwonder »

gobi wrote:Anybody know if the Canucks hold the rights to Fortunus? I heard a lot of good things about this guy. I am surprised he was cut so early.
I think he is assigned to the Moose.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Nathan Smith sucks. Plain and simple. I still remember the announcement that they had selected him. Crawford was up there with a stupid grin on his face. As soon as they announced "From the Swift Current Bronco's" I knew it was a waste of a pick. Sure enough it was.

I'm not too thrilled on Michael Grabner either but we'll see what he can do.

On a side note, the Canucks took Ryan Kesler 1 pick ahead of Mike Richards............
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Meerschaum wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:Nathan Smith to the Moose...Is this guy the next Holden/Druken??
In other words, our boy has underachieved even the most classic 'Nucks underachievers.

The Canucks made a 'safe' pick (that's what they thought a few years ago) when they chose Nathan Smith in the first round. Tney knew he wasn't a sniper but thought he would round out to being a solid third-line NHL player. Guess what? You need talent to do that. Smith has been unimpressive in the AHL so far. He was upset at Vigneault at getting sent down but let's face it: once his contract is up, he'll most likely get released.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

On the other hand, it looks like Marc-Andre Bernier survived the cut...so far. At least he's making a sort of a mini come back when everybody has written him off. Bernier has shown flashes of skills. I think if his heart matches his skills, Bernier has a real chance of making the team. Power forwards are a rare commodity.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

gobi wrote:On the other hand, it looks like Marc-Andre Bernier survived the cut...so far. At least he's making a sort of a mini come back when everybody has written him off. Bernier has shown flashes of skills. I think if his heart matches his skills, Bernier has a real chance of making the team. Power forwards are a rare commodity.
Bernier came to camp with a chip on his shoulder to prove himself. His AHL season last year was awful and he spent most of his time in the ECHL. For a guy with his size and speed he has the potential to do more. If this kid had the guts the Rypien and Burrows have he would be playing in the NHL a lot sooner.

I wonder how guys like Rypien and Burrows feel. Both were undrafted and both have had some NHL time (Burrows more of course) the past season. When they saw Bernier last season - drafted by the Canucks with his size and skill going through the motions they must have wondered what they could do if they had that guy's talent.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I believe he was "released" to the Moose, which would indicate we don't have the rights to him, but I'd bet that management is negotiating a two-way deal to add him to our depth chart and take ownership of him for the future.
Mark
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

DavidPratt_ wrote:
Meerschaum wrote:

The Canucks made a 'safe' pick (that's what they thought a few years ago) when they chose Nathan Smith in the first round. Tney knew he wasn't a sniper but thought he would round out to being a solid third-line NHL player. Guess what? You need talent to do that. Smith has been unimpressive in the AHL so far. He was upset at Vigneault at getting sent down but let's face it: once his contract is up, he'll most likely get released.

dp
I believe his assets were that he was big, fast and hard-working, but he didn't develop anything else. Grabner I don't mind, at least they were aiming high...
Mark
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Jyrki21 wrote:All I know is he has the best name in our system since Xavier Majic (the latter when pronounced like English). "Maxime Fortunus." He sounds like a gladiator!
Fortunus rushed up the blueline, made a nice move to avoid a check, move up the middle, shoots, SCORES!! The crowd went wild and chanted, "Maximus! Maximus! Maximus!..." Fortunus looked around, bewildered at the bloodthirstiness of the crowd, and then threw his stick into the crowd aiming for Bettman's beer who happened to be attending the game and shouted, "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?" The crowd silenced and a hush overcame the GM Place. Fortunus, in disgust, left the ice and headed back into the dressing room. When Fortunus disappeared, someone shouted, "Maximus the Merciful!!" and the crowd resumed its chant, "Maximus, Maximus..."
Victoriafan
CC Rookie

Post by Victoriafan »

Fortunus rushed up the blueline, made a nice move to avoid a check, move up the middle, shoots, SCORES!! The crowd went wild and chanted, "Maximus! Maximus! Maximus!..." Fortunus looked around, bewildered at the bloodthirstiness of the crowd, and then threw his stick into the crowd aiming for Bettman's beer who happened to be attending the game and shouted, "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?" The crowd silenced and a hush overcame the GM Place. Fortunus, in disgust, left the ice and headed back into the dressing room. When Fortunus disappeared, someone shouted, "Maximus the Merciful!!" and the crowd resumed its chant, "Maximus, Maximus..."
I would pay a lot of money to see that movie.