WHO'S THE 13TH FORWARD ON ONE WAY DEAL

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

dal
AHL Prospect

WHO'S THE 13TH FORWARD ON ONE WAY DEAL

Post by dal »

I HEARD A REPORT THAT AFTER THE CANUCKS GAVE JOSH GREEN A 1 WAY DEAL THAT WE NOW HAVE 13 FORWARDS ON 1 WAY DEALS. I CAN ONLY THINK OF 12.

1. NASLUND
2. MORRISON
3. COOKE
4. H SEDIN
5. D SEDIN
6. BULIS
7. CHOUINARD
8. KESLER
9. PYATT
10. LINDEN
11. BURROWS
12. GREEN
13 ?????

I AM SURE THAT BOUCK SIGNED A 2 WAY DEAL, WHO IS THE THE OTHER PLAYER.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

viewtopic.php?t=2966&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Tyler Bouck I think is on a one-way. I'm not sure our cap can accomodate 13 forwards and 7 defensemen, so something's going to give, even if we don't get a two-way guy on the team like Santala, Reid, or Schultz...
Mark
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Is it confirmed that Green is on a one-way deal?
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Pretty sure Santala is on a 1way too.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

gobi wrote:Is it confirmed that Green is on a one-way deal?
That's what was originally reported in the Sun and Green referred to it again in another interview.
Mark
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Yeah, I read in the news that Josh has a one way contract. I was quite impressed with him and I think AV is too. I think Green will be a good addition to the 4th line. That doesn't leave many spots open in the bottom 6 actually. I think it will be a battle between Rypien and Brown to fight for a roster spot. I doubt Schultz will make it but you never know. He may turn it on in the preseason games.

As a side note, I noticed that Fortrunus was cut today. I was rather surprised by that as he was one of the better defensemen. I thought he would at least get some games in the preseason. But watch for him. He may be a first callup if our D is hit with injuries (knock on wood).
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

What's the difference between being released and re-assigned? It says he was released, does that mean the Canucks don't have him on an NHL contract? If so, I'd like to get the guy to a two-way, so that we own his rights and can call him up in times of injury.
Mark
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

MarkMM wrote:What's the difference between being released and re-assigned? It says he was released, does that mean the Canucks don't have him on an NHL contract? If so, I'd like to get the guy to a two-way, so that we own his rights and can call him up in times of injury.
Correct. He's moose property and was invited to canucks camp basically because they like to invite Moose property to camp. If he played well in camp he could earn an NHL deal.

Not getting past the first cut basically implies he has no chance of getting an NHL deal this year.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

tantalum wrote:
MarkMM wrote:What's the difference between being released and re-assigned? It says he was released, does that mean the Canucks don't have him on an NHL contract? If so, I'd like to get the guy to a two-way, so that we own his rights and can call him up in times of injury.
Correct. He's moose property and was invited to canucks camp basically because they like to invite Moose property to camp. If he played well in camp he could earn an NHL deal.

Not getting past the first cut basically implies he has no chance of getting an NHL deal this year.
Hmm, from all I've heard from camp, he's been surprisingly good, one of the best at camp, I'd rather we signed him to a two-way deal both for depth and so we have rights to him for the future.
Mark
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

MarkMM wrote:
tantalum wrote:

Hmm, from all I've heard from camp, he's been surprisingly good, one of the best at camp, I'd rather we signed him to a two-way deal both for depth and so we have rights to him for the future.
I think it may have been Sutter who said something this summer that I never knew. A team can only have 50 players under professional contract. No idea where the canucks stand but there is a finite number of players a team can put under contract so they can't just sign every player that walks through the door.

Indeed many people thought he looked good but in many of those reports from training camp you'd swear the organization was made up of 45 all-stars.

AV may not of been my first choice as coach but I'm confident the coaching staff wouldn't cut a guy at the first round of main camp cuts if he actually showed something that could be molded into some sort of value over the next 12-24 months.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

tantalum wrote:
MarkMM wrote:
tantalum wrote:

I think it may have been Sutter who said something this summer that I never knew. A team can only have 50 players under professional contract. No idea where the canucks stand but there is a finite number of players a team can put under contract so they can't just sign every player that walks through the door.

Indeed many people thought he looked good but in many of those reports from training camp you'd swear the organization was made up of 45 all-stars.

AV may not of been my first choice as coach but I'm confident the coaching staff wouldn't cut a guy at the first round of main camp cuts if he actually showed something that could be molded into some sort of value over the next 12-24 months.
Didn't know that, but it makes sense, thanks. Yeah, our guys may be looking good at camp, but I guess it's all relative, do other camps look even better? What bothered me about many of these reports was that as much as a guy like Maxime Fortunus, Lee Goren or Brandon Reid would get glowing praise, there was consistent disappointment with Taylor Pyatt, a guy we're counting on...that said, it might be simply our roster guys not wanting to go too far and injure themselves while our prospects are desperate to make a point.

Fortunus got near-universal praise, and really strong praise at that, maybe we're negotiating, but like you, I trust Vigneault and Nonis to make the right call. With all our one-way contracts, I really think there's a trade in the works, maybe if we're up against a 50-cap number, then when we unload some one-ways, they'll have room to sign Fortunus to a two-way?
Mark
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I can't find a source but I remember Sutter mentioning it in regards to some rumours of guys the flames were going to sign (or it was another GM). Anyways, the GM flat out said it wasn' going to happen because they had their 50 (I think that number is correct) players with pro contracts and unless he moved someone he couldn't sign the player. And he wasn't going to move anyone.

It would certainly make sense to have such a rule in place to avoid teams monopolizing the worlds hockey talent.

In terms of camp reports. I put little stock into reports from the beginning of camp. The problem with those reports is that you have a bunch of veterans who are not going anywhere until the last round of cuts unless they sleep with the coaches wife. The other half of camp is 20 young guys fighting to get one of 2 or 3 roster spots that may be open. Those kids are going full tilt in the early days.

In the early days of camp the coaching staff is looking at the young kids to see who gets a shot at an exhibition game or two. The only thing they care about with the veterans is fitness level. A veteran comes in fit, provides some guidance and leadership to the young kids and the coaching staff is happy until camp is winding down.

Speaking of being booted from camp...is Ellis-Plante on the Medvedev diet? Heard Sutter won't even acknowledge Medvedev's existence. Not sure how he ignores a 280 lb goaltender or whatever weight the butterball is now.