AV Interview: Only One Position is Set.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

AV Interview: Only One Position is Set.

Post by Meerschaum »

Below is a link to AV's interview today in the Globe & Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ports/home

The upshot? Only one spot on the roster is set.

And that belongs to LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

That's what this season upcoming 'Nucks season is all about.

We are a goalie graveyard no more.

Amen.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I personally don't put much stock in that as training camp opens. If a coach wants a good competitive camp he would be foolish to say "yeah every position is taken except for a spot or two so you 25 ohter guys don't get your hopes up."

To be sure AV has his lineup already in his mind and will only really be looking at a few spots. Sure he'll play a bit be looking at Kesler on the wing, perhaps Naslund on the RW etc. but I would be surprised if the opening night roster is much different than what people have been posting for weeks now.

But it's nice to see him setting the tone for the year right when camp opens: Effort, Responsibility and Accountability....that's what will get the guys icetime.
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

AMEN brother!
No more graveyard!
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: AV Interview: Only One Position is Set.

Post by Cornuck »

Meerschaum wrote:We are a goalie graveyard no more.
I sure hope so, but imagine this scenario...

11 of 14 games on the road to start the season. Luongo adjusting to new players and a new system. New defensemen and system. Luongo falters out the gate. Lack of goals.

All of the sudden the media posts headlines "Luongo? Worth the trade?" "Canucks pin all hopes on Luongo" "Luongo disappoints in season opener". "Canucks miss playoffs again"

You get the picture....

I hope to hell this isn't the case, but who is the media going to blame?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

What's worst, the Calgary media did the same to Kiprusoff last season. Yes, the same goalie who took them to game 7 of the Cup final the season before, didn't get any better treatment than you might expect. Now, imagine what would happen if Luongo doesn't win many of the first 11 games.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Except that the Canucks aren't going to stall at the start. Of the first 14, they'll probably win 8, but I'm not going to panic if they only win 5.

This team needs to flesh out it's new identity. They won't score 5 goals a night, but they won't need to either, and how many times can you say that in the past 200 or so games?

T, it's looking more & more that Kesler does get a spot on #1 by default. And sadly, it's looking more & more like Cooke will be the one to go.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Vegas_Nucks_Fan wrote:I hope to hell this isn't the case, but who is the media going to blame?
Well, Kesler of course. ;)

On a more serious note, however, I don't think this year's edition of the 'Nucks bears anywhere near the fan and media expectations of the immediately departed "core".

Nobody, is calling these guys cup contenders. In the West those teams are Anaheim, San Jose, Calgary, Nashville and maybe, maybe, Detroit.

The expectation bar hasn't been this low for a 'Nucks squad since the Messier era.

If we miss the playoffs this season, no big deal. This was a "rebuilding year". Nobody's gonna lose their job over it - except maybe Nonis.

With three utterly wet-behind-the-ears blueliners in front of him, no matter what happens, Luongo basically gets a pass this season.

But if perchance we make the playoffs . . . it's hero-worship time baby! 8-)

I'm not worried about the pressure on Luongo one iota.

Heck, think of all the atrocious, savage, craptacular, self-immolative mockeries of parodies of indignities committed against the great sport of hockey in clutch games by the dearly departed Dan Cloutier.

(Interlude - God I love saying that. "The dearly departed Dan Cloutier." Heck, allow me to repeat it again! "The dearly departed Dan Cloutier." Wow! Trust me boys, this feels better than the finest flaked Peruvian cocaine!)

Despite all those house of cards impersonations in the playoffs, it took years of determined effort for us to deservedly run that charlatan out of town.

Now, if Luongo suddenly starts letting weak shots from centre or 40 footers from Darby Hendrickson by him in playoff games, I'll concede that things could get rocky. But, rest assured, Roberto will get at least as many second (and third, and fourth and fifth . . .)chances as Dan the Man did.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I'll be pleased with a 6th seed playoff berth. Let's hope Luongo doesn't get a rough ride.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Linden Is God wrote:I'll be pleased with a 6th seed playoff berth. Let's hope Luongo doesn't get a rough ride.
Hell, I'd be extatic if we made the playoffs this year...

As for Luongo, if he falters to start the season, the media will give him the benefit of the doubt. They know its a new team for him, and he has to have time to adjust. Plus they know that people won't take them seriously if they jump all over Louie after his first bad game.

If however, he isn't preforming by January, you can expect the 'Was it worth it?' Headlines in the Province and the Sun. Doubly so if Bert puts together any semblance of a season in Florida.

I for one, however, am not worried. He's been so cocky since we signed him that I can't imagine him doing anything other then suceed. He seems to put a great deal of pressure on himself, and expects a lot of himself in return. He seems like the kind of player that no matter what he will be able to focus on his game. I think he knows realistically what he can do, and what seems like arrogance us is just him showing confidence in himself. Something that no goaltender in recent Canucks history has shown. I expect a good (though not great) season from him this year.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

tantalum wrote:But it's nice to see him setting the tone for the year right when camp opens: Effort, Responsibility and Accountability....that's what will get the guys icetime.
Nice vocals but let's see if they can transform it or if it 's just warm air. I'm not really convinced but that i guess makes it interesting like hell.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Meerschaum wrote:In the West those teams are Anaheim, San Jose, Calgary, Nashville and maybe, maybe, Detroit.

Well if those are the favorites, then the Canucks should own the Cup. Not one of them is any better than the lineup the Canucks have. Certainly, and most definitely not the smoke & mirrors of Cowtown.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

hard to say how the nucks will look like with so many new players, but on paper I think everyone of those teams except detroit is unquestionably superior to our squad. Fortunately the game is played on ice not paper so anything could happen.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

magnum44 wrote:hard to say how the nucks will look like with so many new players, but on paper I think everyone of those teams except detroit is unquestionably superior to our squad.
And just how is Calgary better? Ooooh, they got Tanguay, which gives them exactly 2 threats to score. And people worry about the Canucks scoring goals? They also conveniently forget how Calgary would'nt have made the playoffs the past two seasons if the Canucks didn't fold for them, so it must be hard to grasp that AV ain't gonna let that happen again this year.

When did Saskatoon move to Alberta? Because only an idiot from Calgary would make that contention.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

One thing Vigneault might be more open to is the role players will have on the team, something Crawford was notorious for not doing, he pigeon-holed players into certain roles, and it's been complained about by Bertuzzi about May, Linden hinted at it, Cooke's complained about it...this might be players griping, but I think a number of us were frustrated that Crow would stick to a certain formula at times when other players who deserved a chance were never given a chance to earn a bigger role, that might change. Kesler and Linden are two that should get a bigger role, Bulis is going to be tried in the top six, Pyatt might get a chance to be a power forward, and Cooke might get put up on the top two lines.

Krajicek seems penciled in as the number four, but Bourdon will get a look as well, Santala and Reid are getting long looks I think and of course there's Burrows and Bouck, depending on how they perform, Cooke might be seen as expendable. Schultz is also in the works...
Mark
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Did i read some place ùùùùùùgreen is on a one way contract thi s season
cheers