Carter signed with Columbus

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Jyrki21 wrote:I just noticed something realy eerie about Anson Carter's stat sheet.

Last season he had 33 goals and 22 assists.

33 and 22. Who assisted on all of his goals? That's right, nos. 33 and 22 in your program!

Karma wanted him to re-sign! ;)
wow. that is weird... :shock:
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Indeed, and another sign that he'll suck next season.....bad choice and just for money, it really sucks....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
RC51
CC Rookie

Post by RC51 »

Good riddance.
His whole, "I really expected to come back to Vancouver and set some roots", Vanc. was his first choice - nah, don't believe it. He was really hoping Toronto was going to step up and bring him home. Then it was all about the money and term - but he forgot that one season doesn't a career make. If he does well this year, then maybe his demands for this year would be justified. Let's see how he does when he's not fed the garbage from the Twins.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

More than doubled his salary........nice work if you can get it I guess, now lets see how he does. I predict his point total goes in the toilet.
I was hoping he would come back, but not at that salary, see ya Anson.........
steeda3
AHL Prospect

Post by steeda3 »

Nanaimo_Nuck wrote:Uh I think Carter has potential to rally up the points this year.

He is more than likely a top line player for Columbus which means POINTS... he is a good player. I guess we'll see him against the Canucks this year and see how he does. He is a very dangerous scoring threat.
Distraction....? How is that? He was signed for pretty much nothing..(1 million) and he came here and proved himself....Only to be offered 1.5 by that idiot Dave Nonis.....I'm glad Carter is out of here........Now when he goes there and scores 30 more Goals maybe some team will look past his color and sign him for his skills....This man has had only 1 bad season his ENTIRE career....He's averaged 20+ Goals a season LONG BEFORE he was a Canuck.....NO MORE OF THIS CARTER HATING.....Because he's 10 times the athlete Kessler will ever be.
steeda3
AHL Prospect

Post by steeda3 »

Jyrki21 wrote:I just noticed something realy eerie about Anson Carter's stat sheet.

33 and 22. Who assisted on all of his goals? That's right, nos. 33 and 22 in your program!

And like he didn't do anything to make them better? All of them had a career season...I get so sick of people saying Carter wasn't nothing without the Sedin's....Well look at what he did before he came to Vancouver....He was still putting up 20+ Goals a season....When you look at the games.....You can see Carter telling the Sedin's what to do and where to go.....So give the man credit.....
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

steeda3 wrote:
Nanaimo_Nuck wrote:Uh I think Carter has potential to rally up the points this year.

He is more than likely a top line player for Columbus which means POINTS... he is a good player. I guess we'll see him against the Canucks this year and see how he does. He is a very dangerous scoring threat.
Distraction....? How is that? He was signed for pretty much nothing..(1 million) and he came here and proved himself....Only to be offered 1.5 by that idiot Dave Nonis.....I'm glad Carter is out of here........Now when he goes there and scores 30 more Goals maybe some team will look past his color and sign him for his skills....This man has had only 1 bad season his ENTIRE career....He's averaged 20+ Goals a season LONG BEFORE he was a Canuck.....NO MORE OF THIS CARTER HATING.....Because he's 10 times the athlete Kessler will ever be.
I think the year he had here was fair to both sides, he got a chance to prove himself and we got a bargain 30+ goals. I wanted him back, but I don't think he was worth what he demanded, though I will admit I would have offered him more than the $1.8 million we've been said to have offered him.

Still, comparing him and Kesler is apples and oranges...does Carter fight Jarome Iginla? Does Carter provide the physical presence that Kesler does? Does he provide the speed? Defensive play? Penalty killing?

He's good, MAYBE worth $2.5 million but not a multi-year deal till he demonstrates more consistency, he was valuable and he did pot 30+ goals and provide chemistry that's been missing, that said, he also missed more than his fair share of chances with the Sedins and while they complemented each other well and he did his part, I do think the Sedins were the bigger part of the formula.
Mark
steeda3
AHL Prospect

Post by steeda3 »

MarkMM wrote:
steeda3 wrote:

I think the year he had here was fair to both sides, he got a chance to prove himself and we got a bargain 30+ goals. I wanted him back, but I don't think he was worth what he demanded, though I will admit I would have offered him more than the $1.8 million we've been said to have offered him.

Still, comparing him and Kesler is apples and oranges...does Carter fight Jarome Iginla? Does Carter provide the physical presence that Kesler does? Does he provide the speed? Defensive play? Penalty killing?

He's good, MAYBE worth $2.5 million but not a multi-year deal till he demonstrates more consistency, he was valuable and he did pot 30+ goals and provide chemistry that's been missing, that said, he also missed more than his fair share of chances with the Sedins and while they complemented each other well and he did his part, I do think the Sedins were the bigger part of the formula.

Dude fighting and taking stupid penaties only hurt your team.....Carter let his game speak for itself....There's no need to act a fool on the ice....Look at what it cost Todd Bertuzzi....His whole career almost ended by being stupid....

Like i said...If Kesler was good enough to get 1.9....Carter a PROVEN Score OVER THE YEARS.....should have gotten the 3 million he wanted....If it was Linden, or even Park for that matter....They would have gotten what they wanted if either of them would have scored even half as much. Let's be real..There's more to this story than were being told and i don't care what anyone here says.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Taking dumb penalties and fighting needlessly hurts your team, Bertuzzi did something stupid and it's not a fair comparison to Kesler who provides team toughness when we're lacking that and Bert, who himself admitted it was sheer stupidity. But Kesler fights to stick up for his teammates against a guy willing and able to defend himself, he hits hard and often, that's the kind of play you still need to win, especially come playoff time.

And like I said, no one here thinks Kesler is worth $1.9 million, but that wasn't the issue on the table. Clarke's offer was matched out of principle so that Clarke wouldn't get away with the deal, the goal being that this would reduce the incentive for other GM's to go after each other's RFA's if they thought they wouldn't get them anyway, it's a long-standing principle in the NHL which might not hold up with the cap anymore, but still, has so far been the principle the league has followed.

I'm not sure what your point is about Linden and Park, they're both third/fourth-liners who demanded less, and Linden got less than Carter, Park didn't get anything at all. Seriously, if Linden demanded $1 million or so we would have offered him retirement. But if Linden did score 30 plus goals, yes, we probably would have offered him at least what we offered Carter and probably more, but that would have nothing to do with his skin but more to do with the intangibles Linden brings, leadership, character, mentoring to younger players, face-off ability, playoff experience, defensive play and penalty-killing...he's getting paid $600-800k right now for that, if he scores 30 goals this year, yes, he'll get a raise.
Mark
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

Carter got way too crabby and greedy. He had teh season of his life with the Sedin's (his perfect match) and he gives it up. Yeah he got offered a lot. But if he has another stellar season like that, he will definetly get a raise.

Another thing, the key part ot his success last year were the Sedins. They made all those plays happen. If he gets bad llinemmates he will not do very well.
I Hart Luongo.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

To say that the reason Carter did not get what he was demanding because of the color of his skin is just plain stupid. Wasn't he the same color when he signed the first contract? :? To try for three times your salary after one productive season is greedy, nothing more. I really liked Carter and whished he came back, but he didn't, I'm glad somebody else was willing to pay him a ridiculous amount. I'm glad Nonis didn't.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

steeda3 wrote:

And like he didn't do anything to make them better? All of them had a career season...I get so sick of people saying Carter wasn't nothing without the Sedin's....Well look at what he did before he came to Vancouver....He was still putting up 20+ Goals a season....When you look at the games.....You can see Carter telling the Sedin's what to do and where to go.....So give the man credit.....
What about posting a weird (and rather cool) statistical coincidence and noting that "karma wanted him to re-sign" struck you as attacking the man or denying him credit, I'm trying to figure out?
steeda3
AHL Prospect

Post by steeda3 »

sk8er wrote:To say that the reason Carter did not get what he was demanding because of the color of his skin is just plain stupid. Wasn't he the same color when he signed the first contract? :? To try for three times your salary after one productive season is greedy, nothing more. I really liked Carter and whished he came back, but he didn't, I'm glad somebody else was willing to pay him a ridiculous amount. I'm glad Nonis didn't.
THen what was the reason why Nonis didn't sign him...? Carter has proven himself over the years to be a TRUE goal scorer. This isn't the first time Carter has put up some serious goal numbers.....He's done it most of his career.....Now look at the Canucks....They can't find any offense to save their life......AND LOUONGO IS STARTING TO LOOK LIKE A BIG BUST....Preseason or not....If your getting paid that amount of money....You need to perform every time you step on the ice.
Last edited by steeda3 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

The reason is pretty simple. Carter may be a true (good but not great) goal scorer at the moment, but Nonis didn't want to spend $3 million for 3 years on someone of Carter's age (not young) and history (never reached 30 goal mark until the past season). A 3-year contract would have locked him up to the age of 35. Once Nonis has concluded that talks were not going further, he had to look at his other positions and his cap situation. If Carter told Nonis he would have settled for $2.5 million for one year, Nonis probably would have signed him. By the time he took that offer from Columbus, the Canucks didn't have the cap room anymore, even for a $2 million contract, let alone 2.5.