According to TSN Nonis will match Kesler's offer

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

According to TSN Nonis will match Kesler's offer

Post by DonCherry4PM »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177497&hubname=nhl

... great an extra mil down the drain.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Well, its not like were signing a bad player. so were not getting completely screwed. But he'd better play like hes worth 1.9 million bucks. Kesler better show that hes able to be a top competitor in this league
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

This better not cause locker room issues.
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Well I can't say I agree with it, but if Kesler has a huge year, Nonis will look like a genius
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Trevor, im worried about that too, or more guys next year having to be let go because they want as much money as Kesler.

Whatever, we cant think about that stuff. we gotta hope/pray we got all the nonsense out of the locker room and this kid simply steps up into the role he apparently thinks he should have.

KESLER: you got your damn money, so prove your worth it 8-)

Cant wait to sign some Philly RFA's next year :lol:

He'd better knock Iginla right off the ice this year
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Bobby Clarke (from the CBC article on the subject): "They had all summer to sign this guy. It was three days before training camp, he's not signed, we're going to lose Primeau, so we took a shot at getting another centre."

Y'know, I have no liking for that dude, but I agree with him. The management tried to play hardball with Kesler and got burned (to mix a metaphor).
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Agreed. I don't much like Clarke either but he had every right to try this move. If there is someone to blame in this situation I think it has to be NOnis. From what i have heard Clarke was trying to trade for Kesler all summer and even warned DN that he was going to give him an offer sheet if DN didn't deal. Knowing this Nonis still tried to put the screws to Kesler and sign him cheap.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Not what I would've done, but there are ways of dealing with it. Play with a 20-man roster and we're back at where we would be originally, just keep some spare parts in both the Moose and the Salmon Kings and recall whichever is closest when need be. I'd be shopping Cooke about now, depending whether we get a cheaper roster player or a pure salary dump would dictate whether we bring back one or both of a 13th forward/7th d-man.

This is NOT Nonis' fault, Kesler was being unreasonable in his demands and with Kesler agreeing to sign for $800/850k, clearly Nonis managed to get this done. Is Nonis responsible for Clarke's stupidity? Give me a break, no one saw this coming and if someone is going to offer our RFA's ridiculous amounts of money, there's very little we can do about it.

Clarke may have done something within the rules, but that's not the issue on the table, the problem I have with him is that he offered $1.9 million for 10 goals, that's what might cause problems around the league.
Mark
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Well I guess we know who the RW for the Naslund-Morrison line will be.
the_bad_fish
AHL Prospect

Post by the_bad_fish »

well at least the kid will have his chance to make a splash as a top 6 winger. A lot is riding on him, it is probably about time to give hime a push in the right direction anyways.
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

The_Pauser wrote:Well I guess we know who the RW for the Naslund-Morrison line will be.

Trevor has been getting yelled at by his wife all night, and isn't thinking clearly,
Do you mean Cooke?
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

trevor corey wrote:This better not cause locker room issues.
I've never gotten the sense that players are resentful of another guy's new contract. The general attitude is usually, "good for him". The problem doesn't come in the dressing room, but rather at the bargaining table at contract time, as players and agents try to use Kesler's contract as a comparable.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Anyone hear who Clarke was offering for Kesler in the summer?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

The good news is that last time this happened to the Canucks (Mattias Öhlund with the leaves), he looked like a bargain almost right away... here's hoping.

And I agree: give Kesler the chance to prove it. That might irk his teammates even more, but at least we won't have Crawford around anymore to pigeonhole players from the start and stifle their development.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

trevor corey wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Well I guess we know who the RW for the Naslund-Morrison line will be.

Trevor has been getting yelled at by his wife all night, and isn't thinking clearly,
Do you mean Cooke?
No I mean Kesler. If he's making the money he's gonna be given every opportunity to earn his paycheque. It wouldn't make sense to give a guy $1.9 million if he's only going to be getting 3rd/4th line checking minutes.