Nonis' plan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

hench
AHL Prospect

Nonis' plan

Post by hench »

So the nucks are unquestionably gonna have their work cut out for them if they wanna playoff spot. i have no doubts they can do it either, they have a young fiery, never say quit group of youngsters with a few seasoned vets, and one hell of a goalie to back them up when they make mistakes. But i dont think Nonis is to concerned if they miss the playoffs this year. hes rebuilding his team and rarely does a team in that stage become a success after one season. Im expecting next year to be the big year....linden will most likely retire, im expecting bert to come back, and i think alot of depth players will be added next year...something the canucks dont have alot of to fall back on especially in defense if they should suffer injuries again tis season. This season will be a training year for players like burrows, reid, pyatt, and the others, teaching them how to play together, figuring out line combos and turning them into competitive skilled players.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Some season preview magazine I saw recently predicted the Canucks would finish something like 13th in the West this season. :o :(

Hopefully they're wrong. ;)
Jester
AHL Prospect

Post by Jester »

They'll have 3rd in the West all locked up.

Luongo with a few players in front of him with some skill = Better odds than last year.
BBQSAUCE
AHL Prospect

Post by BBQSAUCE »

I never thought about it this way, but with the pressure that is on the canucks right now so many people would want him fired if they don't make the playoffs this year. And i think that Florida is going to sign Bertuzzi to a contract extention.
Got BBQ Sauce? I Know I Do.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

well i dont think we'll see bertuzzi back here except for in a panthers uniform (by the way, game of the year until the playoff stretch). and im hoping this isnt a "rebuilding year" and we wont make the playoffs... i hate not watching the canucks in the playoffs!!! so lets all hope Nonis made some good trades and signed the right mix of guys and we get everyone contributing.... and we'll be just fine
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

The only way you'll see Bert in a Canucks jersey again is if there is a parallel universe where Bizzaro Bert never attacked Moore.

As for the plan. I think Nonis is putting together a team that has the talent to compete but has the excuse of rebuilding in case they don't. I don't mean that in a negative way either. I think he's done a great job in changing the face of the team. How they come together is any ones guess. It should be fun to watch.
R.I.P. Luc.
Haida Knucklehead
CC Rookie

Re: Nonis' plan

Post by Haida Knucklehead »

hench wrote: im expecting bert to come back, and i think alot of depth players will be added next year....
I don't think we will be in any position to make any significant additions next year. 'Nucks already have 34 mill committed to only 12 players. If Salo gets resigned (doubtful) he will likely get about 4 million. 38 million for 13 players doesn't leave much wiggle room, unless there is an unexpected big rise in the cap. ( I would be surprised if there was huge increase again next year.)

(http://hockeyanalysis.com/?page_id=333)

With an increase of 3 million to the cap, that would leave 10 million for 10 players. I don't think bert would sign for a million or 2. Bert coming back is highly unlikely. Save yourself some disappointment and don't expect miracles.

Maybe Nazzy will waive his no-trade clause to go to a contender and that would free up 6 mill (mlinus players coming over). It would at least get 'Nucks some cap relief and hopefully some young players.
Haida Gwaii is Canuck Country
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

If Bertuzzi came back, would they be able to squeeze his dark cloud in under the salary cap?

Not gonna happen. ;)
hench
AHL Prospect

Post by hench »

i think youd find bertuzzi is more the player that if he can play in the city he loves, aand with one of his closest friends and still make 4 mill hed be more than happy to come back. i think flordia is gonna be a rehab season for him..to get his game back.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

As Nonis confirmed after the Luongo deal, Todd bertuzzi asked for a trade to get away from the memories and the media pressure of Vancouver so that he could try to start over with a clean slate.. Why the heck would he come back to the city he asked to be traded from? It's not going to happen.
Mr. Bure #10
AHL Prospect

Post by Mr. Bure #10 »

A source I know who works for the Canucks said that Bertuzzi asked Nonis for a trade at the end of the season. If this is true then he will not be returning after this year so we should get that out of our heads. Also, why would Bert leave Florida where there is no income tax and he can live a relatively quiet life away from the media spotlight?

In terms of the Canucks finishing 13th, that makes me laugh. Vancouver will make the playoffs this year. They have a decent team and a desire to make up for last year's debacle. Morrison is healed from his hip injury and he knows that he will have to pick up production. Nazzy and Mo will be good this year. The Sedins will be good this year. Our defence with Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell, Krajicek, Bourdon, Bieksa will be fine. What we lost in Jovo offensively (when he wasn't injured) we made up in having Luongo between the pipes. I do believe we will see Krajicek step it up offensively if the scouting report is accurate. There is alot of untapped potential there as a first round pick.

Let's not forget the possibility of Grabner making the squad. Although it is highly unlikely, it sounds like he has turned a few heads early in camp. He may be the offensive spark needed to push this team to greater heights.

The Canucks won't have to score 5 goals a game in order to win. They can now get even 3 and have a good shot.

I am guessing that they will finish 5th or 6th.

Let's pray that the Flames can experience an injury riddled season like we had last year to knock them out of the playoffs. I think Flames fans deserve it. The Canucks were crippled by it last year.
Flames Hater
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Tukaram wrote:If Bertuzzi came back, would they be able to squeeze his dark cloud in under the salary cap?

Not gonna happen. ;)
I believe that in the new CBA there is a Salary Cap exemption for Dark Clouds with at least 2 years of NHL experience. Bert's has been around since he brained Moore so we could offer it a league min contract with some incentives. In fact...we may not be able to afford to bring Bert back but we could bring back his cloud :lol:
R.I.P. Luc.
NKCTB7
AHL Prospect

Post by NKCTB7 »

Tony Gallagher just interviewed Bertuzzi earlier in the week and Bert stated that "you never know, i'm a ufa next year, i might end up in Vancouver again, Stranger things have happened". I personally think Nonis is taking this team in a different direction but, if the price was right, you never know.
"I'm looking forward to making a run for the Stanley Cup with Vancouver"...Roberto Luongo