match the kesler offer??

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should the Canucks exercise their right to match Kesler's offer from the Flyers?

Heck yes
57%
Hell no
43%

Total votes: 49

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

match the kesler offer??

Post by tuzzi44 »

Well call it a low blow from Clarke... call it what you want, but now what is DN's next move?? hes a talented guy, but its a alot of cash goin to a guy who scored only 10 goals.
so do you keep em?? or say good riddance??
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Sigh. Not matching was my first instinct. But now that I think about it... match. Then trade Matt Cooke for Michel Ouellet. :D
JonnyLaRue
AHL Prospect

Post by JonnyLaRue »

We cannot let a_#holes like clarke screw us like this. Giving in and signing Kestler for $1.9million would set a dangerous precedent not just for tactics like this but for the pay scales of mediocre players like Kesler. It does not matter how good Kesler WILL be one day he is not worth $1.9million now and we can't afford him at that price anyway. F#$k Clarke he can have Kesler for $1.9Million and watch him score 10 goals for it.
hench
AHL Prospect

Post by hench »

how is clarke an asshole? he obviously thought kesler would better his team in some way so he went for it. if kesler was only in it for the money then "so long buddy" u aint worth 1.9. Kesler had a 10 goal season...that aint to hot...we could get alot better for 1.9.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

The team should match it, even if they don't want to.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

im pretty much half and half on this one. If kesler stays, he may become a better player for us and score some more goals and earn his paycheck.... on the other hand, if he goes we have a bit more cap space which would benefit any team
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Play him with Naslund & Morrison. See if he can earn his money.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Jester
AHL Prospect

Post by Jester »

SRsez wrote:Play him with Naslund & Morrison. See if he can earn his money.
That's sheer genius. Give him the 'C', tell him he's the future of our hockey club and with his huge paycheque, comes huge responsibilities.

Lots of ice time against the best players in the league will either make him great, or break him down so we can sign him next year for peanuts.
hench
AHL Prospect

Post by hench »

Jester wrote:
SRsez wrote:Play him with Naslund & Morrison. See if he can earn his money.
That's sheer genius. Give him the 'C', tell him he's the future of our hockey club and with his huge paycheque, comes huge responsibilities.

Lots of ice time against the best players in the league will either make him great, or break him down so we can sign him next year for peanuts.
i can see why you call yourself jester :lol:
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Let him walk. The last thing we need is an over priced player causing resentment in the locker room. And remember, this is only for one year. Imagine how much he will cost next year. I have yet to hear of a player who's willing to take a pay cut because he knows he was overpaid the previous year. Besides, he's no Sidney Crosby. I would rather take the 2nd rounder and then poach from the Flyers next year.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Let him go. Don't blame Clarke too much, I'm sure Kesler and his agent know full well what would happen and wanted the big check.

Let's see.... $1.9mil for 10 goals.... that's what?.....$190,000 per goal?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I will be disappointed if DN matches. This team has a shitload of 3rd/4th liners and Kesler is nothing more than that at this point. If Clarke wants to overpay him then I say let him. 1.9 is probably 3x more than Kesler is worth. If he does anything in Philly to warrant that kind of pay we could always go after him next year.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Nonis is in a tough position. If he signs him and Kessler has another weak year and the Nuck's struggle Nonis will be blamed for crippling the team with a high payroll and no ability to improve late in the year.

If Kessler has a decent year he'll ask for another raise leaving Nonis with another tough decision in the fall.

If Kessler ends up a Flyer and has a strong year Nonis will be roasted for letting him go.

The only way this works out is if Kessler stays and we go deep in to the playoffs (big IF considering all the new faces) or if Kessler goes and is a major flop.

What would I do? I'd probably match the offer. But I can't say with any certainty that that's the right move.

I wouldn't want to be Nonis this week.
R.I.P. Luc.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I hope DN can swing a trade for Keslers rights to someone else just so Clarke doesn't get what he wants and we don't have to cripple ourselves by being forced into taking a bloated contract. I'd give Kesler the 1.9 if we got to tie him up for 4 or 5 years but on a one year that kind of money is crazy.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Haida Knucklehead
CC Rookie

nonis' fault

Post by Haida Knucklehead »

I say match. The Cancucks have 3 years invested in Kesler and a 2nd rounder is a crap shoot at best. We know Kesler can play in the NHL, but a 2nd round next year would mean waiting 4-5 years if we are lucky.

I don't blame Kesler for signing the offer sheet and I don't blame Clarke for trying. He is playing within the rules. I blame Nonis for dragging out the signing of Kesler. Trying to save a hundred grand or two cost the Canucks a million or so. Plus Kesler will have to be qualified at 1.9 next year.

Nonis will now have to dump some salary to get under the self imposed cap.

Nice going. Put a damper on a positive summer of work.
Haida Gwaii is Canuck Country