Everybody hates Clarke!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

I believe there are rules that exclude teams from receiving shared revenue if they spend over a limit on payroll. Clarke's probably thinking that if salaries generally go up, then teams that want to receive shared revenue will have a hard time getting good players and becoming competitive. That's his retribution to Minnesota for receiving shared revenue and then signing UFA Kim Johnsson away from Philly. He's going to make RFAs expensive so that teams that plan to receive shared revenue won't have much cap room left to fight for UFA, given the lower cap for teams that want to qualify for shared revenue.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Is everyone angry because he made an offer sheet? Or cause the offer is over priced? Personally I think it's genius for sneding out a sheet. He wanted Kesler bad, but couldn't trade for him. Now the price is WAY overpriced, but why not use the rules to his adavantage. And if you're going to send out an offer sheet you have to overpay cause if you pay market value it's almost guaranteed the offer will be matched.

I hope Nonis turns around and gives him the old chicken strueddle, reverses the first screwing and takes the 2nd rounder. I truly believe that if Nonis uses 2 of the 4 2nd rounders we'll have he can land the RW that is needed. (As a side note, I know that we have 3 current 2nd rounders. One being our own, the second being from Anahiem, but where's the 3rd one from?)
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Clarke does make valid points, but I don't it's so much the fact that Clarke made an offer for Kesler but more so for the fact that it is for $1.9M.

If Clarke is willing to go as far as saying Minny stole Johnsson from them through revenue sharing, then you might as well blame GB. Which I think he really is.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Linden Is God wrote:Is everyone angry because he made an offer sheet? Or cause the offer is over priced? Personally I think it's genius for sneding out a sheet. He wanted Kesler bad, but couldn't trade for him. Now the price is WAY overpriced, but why not use the rules to his adavantage. And if you're going to send out an offer sheet you have to overpay cause if you pay market value it's almost guaranteed the offer will be matched.

I hope Nonis turns around and gives him the old chicken strueddle, reverses the first screwing and takes the 2nd rounder. I truly believe that if Nonis uses 2 of the 4 2nd rounders we'll have he can land the RW that is needed. (As a side note, I know that we have 3 current 2nd rounders. One being our own, the second being from Anahiem, but where's the 3rd one from?)
I personally am angry because it's a stupid high amount that creates the risk of salary inflation. There seems to be an unsaid rule that you don't poach RFA's, so part of me is just thinking he's a bit of an ass, but what seals the deal is that he's a stupid ass, causing trouble in the league MIGHT be forgiveable if you really needed to do it to help your team, to do it without it being worth the risk is just reckless. If he needed to replace Primeau, find someone worth that amount.

Agree with letting Kes walk, Chouinard isn't a bad third-liner, and Rypien/Santala can hold down the fourth, let Clarke crap out his cap, let's hit him in the shins when his RFA's come up, show we stand by our word when we tell players what they're worth, don't put a potentially cancerous situation in the newly purged dressing room as we've had guys who've made sacrifices/paid the price to get their current contracts, take the second rounder and use the freed up cap space from Kesler to load up near the deadline.

Oh, I think our 2nd's are ours, Anaheim's, and Los Angeles' for Cloutier.
Mark
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

The big problem is that 10 goal scoring players are now worth $1.9mil.

At least that's what their agents are going to tell you.

And that's what everyone is going to be basing salary off of during negotiations and arbitrations.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Right, but salary cap doesn't move because of the numbers on player contracts. Nor does linkage and the percentage of revenue that goes into players' share. What this changes is that team may not be able to assume that RFAs can be resigned cheaply. You may see teams re-signing RFAs earlier next summer.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

I don't hate Clarke, although I do think he is rather unintelligent. Remember: some day when all his assets aren't covered, someone will be by to break into his coop and steal some of his chickens. He's all but invited someone to do it.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

And then there is Haiku:

steaming doggie turd
warms the frosty Philly night
and Bobby Clarke's shoes
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Linden Is God wrote:Is everyone angry because he made an offer sheet? Or cause the offer is over priced? Personally I think it's genius for sneding out a sheet. He wanted Kesler bad, but couldn't trade for him. Now the price is WAY overpriced, but why not use the rules to his adavantage. And if you're going to send out an offer sheet you have to overpay cause if you pay market value it's almost guaranteed the offer will be matched.

I have no problem wuth the offer sheet. I have a huge problem with the contract offered. it was irresponible and just plain dumb. 1 MILLION over what the Canucks were offering? Why? For a 10 goal scorer? Clarke can crow all he wants about the rules and this or that, the fact is he made a dumb decision financially and one that will drive up salaries for lower end young talent.

As I said before, one day this will bite him in the ass, either because someone does it to him, or he'll lose someone because he can't fit them under the cap. When that day comes I will laugh my ass off.
Mantle
CC Veteran

Post by Mantle »

I'm not quite convinced that this action will in fact drive up salaries for 10g scorers. In the end, teams are going to make the decisions that they simply cannot fit a 10g scorer @ 1.9M under the cap and that is going to be it. Heck we couldn't fit a 33g scorer under the cap at 2.5M. I think this is a problem unique to the circumstances-- Kesler was one of our last signings, yet one of our most important ones left until the end. And Clarke knew it.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I`m just thinking who's the bigger a-hole in this hockey business, Clarke or Kesler ?

But on the other side i guess both are officially within the rules.

Nevertheless i just voted that the Canucks should keep Kesler. ;)

There'll be no problem if he shows strong performances on the ice...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Cookie La Rue wrote:I`m just thinking who's the bigger a-hole in this hockey business, Clarke or Kesler ?

But on the other side i guess both are officially within the rules.

Nevertheless i just voted that the Canucks should keep Kesler. ;)

There'll be no problem if he shows strong performances on the ice...
How is Kesler an asshole??? The money was offered to him. I can't see anyone else refusing that kind of money, especially if his asking price was only 900K. I say congrats t Kesler for getting much more then he deserves. Booooooourns to Bobby Clarke for throwing a stick between the spokes of our already fragile bicycle.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Mantle wrote:I'm not quite convinced that this action will in fact drive up salaries for 10g scorers. In the end, teams are going to make the decisions that they simply cannot fit a 10g scorer @ 1.9M under the cap and that is going to be it. Heck we couldn't fit a 33g scorer under the cap at 2.5M. I think this is a problem unique to the circumstances-- Kesler was one of our last signings, yet one of our most important ones left until the end. And Clarke knew it.
Good point, I personally would like the Canucks to be the first to demonstrate that principle, and say so publicly, only an idiot would pay $1.9 million for 10 goals...let people take that to mean what they will when Kesler is welcomed by Clarke.
Mark
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Linden Is God wrote:How is Kesler an asshole??? The money was offered to him. I can't see anyone else refusing that kind of money, especially if his asking price was only 900K. I say congrats t Kesler for getting much more then he deserves. Booooooourns to Bobby Clarke for throwing a stick between the spokes of our already fragile bicycle.
Because it kills the business, if he would be no scumbag he had signed for a reasonable salary weeks ago ...maybe it was all arranged with his fine friend Umberger and Clarke... :twisted:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'