NHL 07 vs. NHL2K7

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Which game reigns supreme?

NHL 07
50%
NHL 2k7
38%
Gretzky NHL 2007
No votes
NHL 94
13%

Total votes: 8

jchockey
MVP
MVP

NHL 07 vs. NHL2K7

Post by jchockey »

The yearly debate is back...

My friend got NHL 07 on XBOX360 yesterday, and I have caught glimpses of it. A few things to take note of:
Pros:
- fantastic visuals. the best you'll ever see - guarenteed.
- shot stick: complete puckhandling control + hitting
- deep dynasty mode
- a huge step up in terms of realism for EA - much, much harder to score

Cons:
- the menus are hard to read at times
- because it doens't tell you how many players are dressed at one time, editing lines can be a pain. it's the same problem as NHL 06.
- the learning curve is huge - I'd say at least play 5 games and a couple shootouts before you're completely comfortable with the shot stick.

NHL 2k7 comes out September 14th (tomorrow), and I've been debating whether or not to get it. NHL 07 is a huge step up but just thinking about the pure navigational difficulty of the 07 menus gives me a headache.

Anyone else care to share comments/criticisms?

And oh, just so you know, 2kSports heard the boos from fans about their NHL2k6 soundtrack (which was absolutely horrendous - I put it on mute during non-games) and re-done the soundtrack completely. You can preview the tunes on www.2ksports.com on the NHL2k7 section. The media player is on the right side labeled 'Preview 2k7 tunes.'
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

I'd go with NHL 07 only because I enjoy the deep dynasty mode.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

i just bought NHL 07 for the 360. when i bought my new xbox this summer i couldnt wait for this game to come out so i bought NHL2K6 thinking it could hold me over until 07 came out and it was awful. i've always played the EA hockey games since my SNES days so im probably always gonna buy them!

I've gotta wait until the weekend to play it (damn college), I'll report back and let you know what i think! lol i like that alex ovechkin is on the cover... really excited to see how the dynasty is with the salary cap
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Ovechkin's on the cover eh? That''s too bad, I don't like to see one of the most exciting young players in the league cursed so early in his career :?
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Ovechkin's on the cover eh? That''s too bad, I don't like to see one of the most exciting young players in the league cursed so early in his career :?
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Lol. It's true.
Jester
AHL Prospect

Post by Jester »

2k6 was better than nhl 06.

I'll be going with 2k7 because I prefer gameplay over graphics... also Simulation over Arcade style.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Well i just bought my xbox today, seeing as i finally have money again.. and not that much in the way of bills... i figured why not... plus i have been waiting for NHL to come out.
WOW... what a game... its amazing... thats all that needs to be said. that and yeah the menus are annoying.. just cause of how small the text is. but the game is amazing fluid and real
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

NHL 07 for the 360

2k7 for all other consoles

I've played 2k7 the past 4 years and frankly they have to change the gameplay. you can do the same things you could 4 years ago. The goals are the same. The AI is the same etc. Playing the 2k7 demo and having NHL 07 for the 360 it's clear the 2k7 has been passed by EA this year. Ea has provided a game that while a bit bare bones will provide an exceptional base to build on.