Brian Burke & the Ducks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Brian Burke & the Ducks

Post by SRsez »

Yes, some media types have them winning their division next year.

But I ask you, a team that has 1/2 their payroll comitted to these 6 guys:
Bryzgalov $2.65M
Giggy $3.99M
Nieds $6.75M
Pronger $6.25M
Little Nieds $2.00M
Yikes (Marchant) $2.47M

Doesn't look all that scary to me. 2 questionable goalies & two serviceable forwards to go with two superstar Dmen. That's more than 1/2 your team.

I just don't see the genius that's supposed to be Brian Burke.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Well, the only genius move he's done so far is getting rid of Sergei Fedorov and getting Francois Beauchemin in return, but IMO he got lucky with that one. But kudos to him for hiring Randy Carlyle, signing Teemu Selanne, getting rid of players who didn't buy into the system, getting in on the Pronger sweepstakes, and generally not fearing to pull the damn trigger.

But of course, more credit should be given to Bryan Murray who got great young players like Smid, Lupul, Perry, Getzlaf, and Penner for Burke to play around with.

Bryz and Giggy aren't questionable goalies. Both can be elite goaltenders; the only thing questionable is which goalie is going to start.

The only contract I don't like on their roster is Marchant's (but he is a leader and works hard). We'll see what Burke does when Perry, Getzlaf, Penner, and Kunitz ask for multi-million deals.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I imagine one of their goalies will get traded sometime early in the season if not before, that'll change things, it'll depend on who they get back.
Mark
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

jchockey wrote:But of course, more credit should be given to Bryan Murray who got great young players like Smid, Lupul, Perry, Getzlaf, and Penner for Burke to play around with.

Bryz and Giggy aren't questionable goalies. Both can be elite goaltenders; the only thing questionable is which goalie is going to start.
Brian Burke was fortunate to walk into an organization where amateur scouting and player development had a sound strategy prior to him arriving. That certainly hasn't been the case in Vancouver in the time that Brian was here.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Re: Brian Burke & the Ducks

Post by trevor corey »

SRsez wrote:Yes, some media types have them winning their division next year.

But I ask you, a team that has 1/2 their payroll comitted to these 6 guys:
Bryzgalov $2.65M
Giggy $3.99M
Nieds $6.75M
Pronger $6.25M
Little Nieds $2.00M
Yikes (Marchant) $2.47M

Doesn't look all that scary to me. 2 questionable goalies & two serviceable forwards to go with two superstar Dmen. That's more than 1/2 your team.

I just don't see the genius that's supposed to be Brian Burke.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but couldn't you mak a similiar list for Van.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

The numbers you provide for Bryzgalov are incorrect. That is the total of his contract, not the yearly amount he receives. He gets 1.3 million a season.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
VHF
CC Rookie

Post by VHF »

Linden Is God wrote:The numbers you provide for Bryzgalov are incorrect. That is the total of his contract, not the yearly amount he receives. He gets 1.3 million a season.
Actually his cap hit is $1,181,250 per year for the next 2 years.

You can also add Selanne ($3.75M) and McDonald ($3.333M) to that list.

Vancouver is still more top heavy in salaries than Anaheim.
it's just a game...dammit!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

getting Francois Beauchemin in return, but IMO he got lucky with that one. But kudos to him for hiring Randy Carlyle, signing Teemu Selanne, getting rid of players who didn't buy into the system,
I can't believe that people forget BB also brought in one of the very top Pro Scouts in the game today. Bob Murray, he is the one that recommenmds Beauchemin and other players from the Pro ranks, BB doesn't go and watch and placing a value on Beauchemin, he asks Murray. Same goes for the other Pro picks.

Murray was brought in to the Ducks by BB.

I'm wondering how DN choice of pro scouts ( so important today ) Lorne Henning works out. For my part Delorme has past his test, will Henning give DN the complete pro coverage a team now needs ?
cheers
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Brian Burke & the Ducks

Post by SRsez »

trevor corey wrote:I hate to be the one to point this out, but couldn't you
make a similiar list for Van.
No, you couldn't. For one, Vancouver has the best goalie in the game, not two one- playoff wonders. Secondly, Vancouver has no middling talent earning $2M+ like Marchant or Little Nieds.
VHF wrote:Actually his cap hit is $1,181,250 per year for the next 2 years.
How come the number printed was $2.65? My bad, I thought the figure was per year, not total for 2. It makes it a little better, but it's still $5M for not very much in net.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Another thing Anaheim has that Vancouver doesn't are legitimate top prospects who can have an impact. Guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, and Kunitz don't make much money but can sure play a big role in the success of their team.

Who do the Canucks have??? Nathan Smith? Give me a break....ugh our drafting has been weak.