Nonis Talks Tough on Kesler - Deal Looks Close

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

From what I understand, the deal in place that Kesler was 'supposedly' willing to sign was for 800,000 and 825,000.

Looks like his agent just found a way to parlay him a million dollar signing bonus.

Oh ya, suck my assmar Bobby Clarke.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
Maple-Greek
AHL Prospect

Post by Maple-Greek »

Bobby Clarke is forcing Nonis' hand.

Nonis has no choice but to sign him because the 2nd round pick will most likely not turn out to be as good as Kesler. If he underperforms, you can always take him to arbitration and sign him for less again.

Nonis should have signed Kesler before something like this could have happend.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Maple-Greek wrote:Bobby Clarke is forcing Nonis' hand.

Nonis has no choice but to sign him because the 2nd round pick will most likely not turn out to be as good as Kesler. If he underperforms, you can always take him to arbitration and sign him for less again.

Nonis should have signed Kesler before something like this could have happend.
That's a very good point which people seem to have forgotten, myself included. Although it does really hurt the player-team relationship, it would be a necessity if Kesler produces the same amount of points as he did last year.

Anything less than 20 goals/50 points is a poor investment.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

How is it that DN should have signed Kesler before this situation? DN can't force Kesler to sign. You can lead a horse to the water but you can't force it to drink. DN made a good offer to Kesler but he wanted more. And how is it that DN has no choice but to sign him? Kesler is not a top 6 forward and having him is not going to make the Canucks a sudden contender. It's not that big of a loss.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

gobi wrote:How is it that DN should have signed Kesler before this situation? DN can't force Kesler to sign. You can lead a horse to the water but you can't force it to drink. DN made a good offer to Kesler but he wanted more. And how is it that DN has no choice but to sign him? Kesler is not a top 6 forward and having him is not going to make the Canucks a sudden contender. It's not that big of a loss.
You're right. Plus my opinion of him isn't very high. He's a 3rd line center at best. He's got wheels, but hands of stone. His offensive ceiling is at the very best 20 goals and 40-50 points, and that's Kesler in his prime.