At what price would you take Bert back?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

At any price
No votes
5 million plus
No votes
3-5 million
41%
1.5-3 million
41%
minimum to 1.5 million
No votes
I wouldn't
17%

Total votes: 29

nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

I know this will probably incite a flame or two, as the season after he left hasn't even started yet, but after reading Gallagher's article today I'm curious: at what price would it be worth it to the Canucks to bring Bert back?

Obviously he's got some value as he's been a point-getter (albeit an inconsistent one) over the last 6 or so years. But I think his negative locker room presence and frustrating floating tendencies drive his price down considerably.

So what do yall think? I would take him back for ~2 million per, but not much more than that....
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

I couldn't answer that question without knowing what happens this season.

If the team completly implodes and isn't successful at all, you have to at least consider that it wasn't Bertuzzi that hurt the team as so many (myself included) believed.

But if this team plays well next season, I don't risk bringing in such a strong personality back to this team. Doesn't matter what Bert does in Florida!

Reality is, that despite all this discussion being created by something Bert just said - likely as a joke - in an article, there's virtually no chance that he comes back. He's got maybe 1 big contract left in his career, before he hits his late 30s and won't have the same earning potential - and with Naslund locked up for another 2 years, not to mention the team's already tight payroll, there's no room for him.

someone brought up an interesting point about him possibly being a fit at the deadline - if Florida's out of it, and the canucks are looking at the playoffs... the only concern I'd have again is if the canucks are in a position for the playoffs, why would you risk that by bringing in a player who could hurt your team's chemistry.

Finally, in the same article, Bert also said things that would scare me off from ever wanting to see him back - specifically how as an 11yr vet he refused to change his game when the coach asked him to... he basically refused to do what the coach asked him to do - and players like that, this organization doesn't need back at any price!
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

Wouldn't do it. I like Bert, it was great, but this is a team game.
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

nuckfan in TO wrote: Finally, in the same article, Bert also said things that would scare me off from ever wanting to see him back - specifically how as an 11yr vet he refused to change his game when the coach asked him to... he basically refused to do what the coach asked him to do - and players like that, this organization doesn't need back at any price!
It may have just been how Tony G wrote it but I had similar concerns over some of his comments. He really came accross sounding like a spoiled child. The team was falling apart at the seems and he had a problem with the coach wanting to try a different approach and some different line combonations? If it ain't working don't fix it??

Bert is a HUGE talent and I supported him at first. But the last couple of years his attitude and demeanor were more damaging than his talent was helpful. IMHO. THe only way I would take him back on the team is if he really turned himself around in that department. Can't see that happening so I voted not to take him back at any price.
R.I.P. Luc.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

No, I don't want Bert back. IMO, he was holding the team back last year.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I'd love to have him back in the 3-5 range! I would be over the moon! I like Todds attitude and demeanor! I don't like my power forwards all warm and fuzzy! I like seeing someone destroy the likes of, Chelios, Jackman, McInnes and Dion P. Ilike having a player that will stick up for his teamates whatever the cost to him personally. I like having a player that will tell the refs to go pound sand when they blow a call.

I like seeing highlight reel goals by a Canuck! I like the look of happiness on his face when he set up a young guy for a goal.

I don't like stunned idiots with blinders on that blame the season on one player while over looking injuries to Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Cloutier, Naslund, Morrison, Cooke, in other words the whole "core " except the Sedins. While over looking second rate goaltending that did more to take the life out of the team than anyone thing with the possible exception of the sh-t coaching job done by Crawford who absolutly lost all sense of reasoning as the season wound down.

I also didn't like the rediculous amount of b.s penalties called on Bertuzzi. Of course I also didn't like the medias crap.

I'd have Todd Back in a heartbeat!
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

The price, gentlemen, is what we could fit under the cap. If that's $4M, so be it. It would in all likelihood have to be much lower than that, however.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

One of the things that would get in the way of Todd Bertuzzi returning would be contracts like Roberto Luongo's. If Todd Bertuzzi has a good season in Florida, he is going to expect big dollars and the way the cap currently stands, I don't believe that Vancouver can afford Todd Bertuzzi.

And even if Vancouver could afford him, would we want him back? Maybe it's time for Todd to move on. I'm hoping the Canucks have.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

ververgaert wrote:I'd love to have him back in the 3-5 range! I would be over the moon! I like Todds attitude and demeanor! I don't like my power forwards all warm and fuzzy! I like seeing someone destroy the likes of, Chelios, Jackman, McInnes and Dion P. Ilike having a player that will stick up for his teamates whatever the cost to him personally. I like having a player that will tell the refs to go pound sand when they blow a call.

I like seeing highlight reel goals by a Canuck! I like the look of happiness on his face when he set up a young guy for a goal.

I don't like stunned idiots with blinders on that blame the season on one player while over looking injuries to Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Cloutier, Naslund, Morrison, Cooke, in other words the whole "core " except the Sedins. While over looking second rate goaltending that did more to take the life out of the team than anyone thing with the possible exception of the sh-t coaching job done by Crawford who absolutly lost all sense of reasoning as the season wound down.

I also didn't like the rediculous amount of b.s penalties called on Bertuzzi. Of course I also didn't like the medias crap.

for 4 million, that would be almost the perfect post...

I hope Todd rips up the division so bad, has a career year in goals and assists, sets Floridas new scoring record, mostly so I can still watch him on the hilight reels... but if he does, we won't be able to afford him.... but I hope he does it anyways :)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

ververgaert wrote:I'd love to have him back in the 3-5 range! I would be over the moon! I like Todds attitude and demeanor! I don't like my power forwards all warm and fuzzy! I like seeing someone destroy the likes of, Chelios, Jackman, McInnes and Dion P. Ilike having a player that will stick up for his teamates whatever the cost to him personally. I like having a player that will tell the refs to go pound sand when they blow a call.

you like his attitude?

maybe you didn't listen to his own words:
Our [Bertuzzi's line's] ice time dropped off and he was trying to get guys like Markus to dump the puck in and play in a way that wasn't very effective for us. And here I was, an 11-year guy, and he was threatening to sit me out and other great players as well and I thought that was a little ridiculous to treat guys that way, who you have ridden to success playing a different way before. It just didn't make sense to me.

We just went into a style I wasn't going to play.
That's the type of attitude you want on this team?? I sure as hell don't!!!

Yea, I'm a "stunned idiot with blinders on" ... whatever names you want to call me, I call it as I see em, and when I see a player that goes on record saying that he refused to change his game and style when the coach asked him to - and that too after being unsuccessful all year long with that style - that tells me everything I need to know about that player.

Players like that don't help your team win games... what they do is create animosity in the locker room and on the ice, when you have a star player, still getting all sorts of icetime, that refuses to play on the same page as what the coach wants the team to play on.

I never - ever - want to see a player in Vancouver like that... such players will only bring your team down, and Bert proved plenty of that last season.

I said for a long time last season that Bert was a major reason why the team was unsuccessful... now - in his own words - he's shown us exactly why!
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

If he gets off to a good start, look for the Panthers to try to lock him up to a contract extention by Christmas or so. Even if he does hit the open market, it is impossible to predict at this stage a) what the Canucks' needs will be nine months from now, b) what kind of cap shape we will be in, and c) what kind of price Bertuzzi can command on the open market. (That, of course, depends on what kind of season he has.) I think the only way he ends up back here is if he is willing to take a bit of a discount to do so, signing a longer term deal in exchange for a lower base salary. If he's just looking to sell himself to the highest bidder next July 1, I doubt the Canucks are interested.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

I would take a chance on Bert at $2M if there was some assurance that he wouldn't return to his cancerous ways, but I doubt that that would be a reality. VAN wouldn't want him back unless he was playing as well as or better than he was last season, and you can bet that plenty of other teams (FLA included) that would be willing to offer him more if he were that effective and available. As Larionov suggests, I think he'll want to go to the highest bidder when the time comes.

In addition, unless he blows dead bears in FLA, they'll want to retain his services, otherwise, they'll have plenty of nothing to show for giving up what might be the best goalie not named Kiprussoff...
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:I would take a chance on Bert at $2M if there was some assurance that he wouldn't return to his cancerous ways,
Cancerous ways? Where do you see that? Because he thought his coach was on crack?
the Cunning Linguist wrote:I think he'll want to go to the highest bidder when the time comes.
And just where might that be? Calgary or Colorado perhaps? NFL. The fact is, there are few markets for his services, unless he tears it up, which seems unlikely with that team.
the Cunning Linguist wrote:what might be the best goalie not named Kiprussoff...
Let's just leave it at "the very best goalie in the NHL - bar none. Kiprusoff sucks jock straps in comparison, and the team that does it all with smoke & mirrors will be coming back to reality this year. AV is going to see to that.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Berts gone guys...even if he did come back the "question" would resurface. Had he gotten over "the incident," was he a changed man. This is the best situation for both parties. I agree with MCP, I hope he destroys the division and has a carreer year. Bert's one of my favorite players of all time, up there with Neely. Like Heatley going back to Atlanta, this one is just not in the cards.

I will be going to the VAN-FLA game in January, and be wearing my Bertuzzi jersey, probably cheering the guy if he scores a hatty on Luongo...hopefully we win 5-3.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

I wouldn't take him back for anything. He's a car crash on legs. You can't win with a guy like that. The Canucks implosion had everything to do with the fact that he couldn't find a way to overcome his problems and the team got swallowed up. One playoff series win in 8 years? There just aren't that many guys on this current roster that deserve a ton of loyalty based on recent results. Bert's got problems, and its best for the Canucks that he sorts them out someplace else. The team HAD to move ahead. The end.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!