Ryan Kesler signs Offer Sheet with Philadelphia

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Ryan Kesler signs Offer Sheet with Philadelphia

Post by The_Pauser »

TSN Reports:
Sources tell TSN that the Philadelphia Flyers have signed Vancouver Canucks restricted free agent forward Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet. The deal would be worth $1.9 million for one season.

The Vancouver Canucks have the right to match this offer, however should they choose to walk away for financial reasons, the compensation paid to the Canucks for the Flyers manouever will be a 2nd round draft pick.

In 82 games with the Canucks last season, the 22-year-old forward tallied ten goals, 13 assists and 79 penalty minutes.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177269&hubname=

Wow. Bobby Clarke and his shady tactics. Yes it's perfectly within the rules, but there has been an unwritten rule amongst GM's that if you don't go after our RFA's that we won't go after yours. Kesler at $1.9M is a joke. Grossly overpaid.

I hope Nonis works out a trade because this is rediculous.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

God damnit. Now I hate Bobby Clarke more. Well a 2nd rounder is alright, hopefully that in turn can be traded for something. Wouldn't give the Canucks 4 2nd rounders?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

$1.9 million for Ryan Kessler??? :shock:

For that price, Clarke can have him.

If I'm Nonis, I take the 2nd round pick and use the cap space to land another forward.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Could the cap space give us room for Carter?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Don't think we were offering him enough that makes it possible to get Carter now, any additional money that could have gone to the Carter fund was spent elsewhere, after signing Kes we were going to be pretty close to our internal cap anyway, so no, there isn't enough left.

It sucks, but it is what it is, Nonis should let him walk or else he loses future negotiating power. We can sign someone else or find another replacement internally, not as good but it's soothed a bit by the 2nd rounder, just make it count. On top of that, while BC gets a good asset, he still screws himself over a bit by landing a player at a price that will deny him assets elsewhere, and of course the lost 2nd round pick.

Naslund - Morrison - Cooke
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Bulis
Pyatt - Chouinard - Linden
Burrows - Santala - Reid
Burrows

Or some combination thereof, if Schultz makes the team then Linden can centre the third line and Bulis can move down to take the 3rd RW position, we'll be pretty good for depth. This sucks but is not the end of the world.

Next year, though, provided it makes sense for us, we could make a few offer sheets here and there to Philly's RFA's, if we get them, great, if not, oh well, he can match and we can shrug...payback's a bitch.
Mark
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

This just does not make a lot of economic sense. Philly was sitting just shy of $44 million with 23 players without adding a grossly overpaid Kessler.

Is Clarke trying to get leverage over Nonis in some sort of Gagne/Naslund deal, or he just pissed at Nonis for winning the Luongo sweepstakes?

Oh well, what goes around comes around. Clarke can assume that Nonis will pull the same stunt to Richards and Carter some day.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Yeah this is a load of crap. Philly will have Primeau's big salary off the books when he goes on long-term IR so they can afford it. Notice how he waited to do this until AFTER Gagne had signed.

Next year Pitkanend is a RFA. Let's offer him a $2.9 million contract so all we'd have to give up is a 1st and a 3rd. That would put them in a bind to re-sign Peter Forsberg.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Yea, a big WOW here. 1.9 for Kesler? I like the kid, but... wow. He mustsee something he really likes. Philly likes taking our youngsters eh? Umberger, now Kesler... Can we still trade his rights or is too late for that now?

What makes this most surprising is the fact that we keep hearing how philly was right at the cap before signing Gagne (Did they sign him yet? I missed it)

BC must have a deal in the works is all I can guess.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

You know I like Kesler. It hink he could develop into a very strong third line, penalty killer leader type player. I'm not sure if he's top 6 material.

But $1.9 mil? Come on. No way he's worth that now or probably even for the next couple of years.

The Flyers can have him for that price IMO. Sucks that the only compensation is a second round pick (or whatever deal Nonis can make instead). But it is what it is.

What comes around goes around and you can bet Nonis will be chomping at the bit to return the favour. And many GMs will look at this in a fair bit of disgust and may just get do the same thing to Clarke. I don't think the environment has changed enough in the NHL for GMs to be cutthroat with each other. They will still be reliant on the trade market and not just drafting and free agent signing.
Last edited by tantalum on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Badfish wrote:Yea, a big WOW here. 1.9 for Kesler? I like the kid, but... wow. He mustsee something he really likes. Philly likes taking our youngsters eh? Umberger, now Kesler... Can we still trade his rights or is too late for that now?

What makes this most surprising is the fact that we keep hearing how philly was right at the cap before signing Gagne (Did they sign him yet? I missed it)

BC must have a deal in the works is all I can guess.
Keith Primeau is making $3 million per year and his salary will likely be off the books due to long-term injury.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

You know I seriously think this comes down to Kesler or Cooke right now.

I honestly don't know which one I'd pick.....
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

tantalum wrote:You know I seriously think this comes down to Kesler or Cooke right now.

I honestly don't know which one I'd pick.....
I'd trade Kesler. His trade value is much higher.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Nucks will match. News conference tomorrow.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177269&hubname=

Once we match Kesler becomes untradeable for a year.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Wait wait wait wait wait...

We're close to the cap...

We need (or want) to sign other players (like Carter)...

And now we're going to give a $1.9 one million dollar deal to Kesler who, and I like the kid and yes he shows promise, isn't worth that much.

Something doesn't sit well with me on this.

I mean, we were all upset that Cooke got as much as he did and now this? I really hope this isn't true.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I can't take this madness!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
GO CANUCKS GO !!!