Nonis Talks Tough on Kesler - Deal Looks Close

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

WCE
MVP
MVP

Nonis Talks Tough on Kesler - Deal Looks Close

Post by WCE »

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 8c01b179e9

Kesler, a restricted free agent, was scheduled to fly to Vancouver late Sunday and skate informally with his NHL mates today at 8-Rinks.

He will arrive amid some tough talk from GM Dave Nonis, who declared Sunday he is through negotiating with the Kesler camp. Discussions have reached the take-it-or-leave stage.

"You can write it however you want," Nonis replied when asked if 'take-it-or-leave-it' was an accurate description. "We made Ryan a strong offer. I made it to him over a month ago and it is what we are going to pay him if he's going to play.

"The offer shows what we think of him as a player and there is not going to be any [further] negotiations. It's where we are and it's fair. It's reality."

Kesler, reached Sunday at his Detroit home, didn't appear upset by Nonis's comments. He likely wouldn't be coming to Vancouver if he intended to hold out.

"Obviously we're pretty close," said the 22-year-old centre. "Right now, it's up to me and my agent. I'm just happy to get back and skate with the guys.

I am expecting Kes to sign within the next few days. It is a matter of when and not if, from what I understand.

I am very hopeful that he can continue his progression this year (and keep his head up!). I wonder if AV has any plans to use him on the wing. I am sure that with Chouinard there, along with Santala and Linden, we might get a look to see how he can play in that role.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Agreed, moving him to the right side would open up some options.
Mark
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

things appear to be shaping up.

I am surprised that we are going with Flats as the backup goalie, but wtf...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Madcombinepilot wrote: I am surprised that we are going with Flats as the backup goalie, but wtf...
I remember lots of people here claiming Flaherty should've been the starter over Auld last year, so he'll probably be suitable to back up Luongo :P

Anyway, plenty of time to add another backup later on, perhaps when it counts for less under the cap. Looks like 'tenders are a dime a dozen these days.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Yeah, I'd be surprised if we don't add another goalie, Shields and Boucher were apparently in discussions, but as our Pratt noted, it's possible that Nonis is waiting to see who becomes available on the waiver wire.
Mark
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

I find nothing wrong with Flats being the backup. By rights he should have been the backup last year but DN was forced to go with Ouelett because of the stupid waiver rule. I say let's give him a chance.

As for Kesler, it's good to see him back but I won't be disappointed if DN manages to deal him. I can't imagine what he will be asking if he manages to score 20 goals. I can see him turning into another Umberger later on.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

gobi wrote:I find nothing wrong with Flats being the backup. By rights he should have been the backup last year but DN was forced to go with Ouelett because of the stupid waiver rule. I say let's give him a chance.

As for Kesler, it's good to see him back but I won't be disappointed if DN manages to deal him. I can't imagine what he will be asking if he manages to score 20 goals. I can see him turning into another Umberger later on.
God, what is it with that school? I think it was reported that the deal being offered Kes is a two-year deal, so that might help if he has a breakout, which I wouldn't complain about either way.

I have no problem with Wade being back-up, but I don't want it going to him by default, I'd like us to bring in another experienced goalie and let the better one back up Roberto, and the other guy bring along Ellis-Plante on the Moose and be our number 3 guy.
Mark
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

glad to hear a deal with Kes is close to happening. hes a good fit with this team and hes versatile... he'll play where you put him and do well.

As for the backup, im not really concerned about whos sittin on our bench. Keep Luongo healthy and pullin off some wins.... who cares?! :D
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

I wouldn't get too cocky. If Luongo gets hurt (knock on wood), I hope that the Canucks will have another competent backup that can handle the load for a while. I think Flats can be a good backup with a game here and there but I question his endurance given his age. I do agree with Mark in bringing another backup but I hope Flats will get the priority in the backup role with the other backup providing depth in the farm. I dunno if Shields is willing to play in the Moose.
hehateme
AHL Prospect

Post by hehateme »

He is from Detroit? No doubt he will bail as soon as possible, if he has a good year Nonis should trade him and get something before Kesler jumps ship
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

Kesler's got a couple more contracts before he can jump ship... it's not something to worry about with him right now.

And besides, it today's NHL, it really doesn't matter who jumps ship... as long as your organization is attractive enough for UFAs to consider signing here... we'll be seeing a lot of movement from UFAs in years to come, that's just how the CBA is now. If Kesler jumps ship - in a few years when he has hits UFA status - then there'll be someone available to sign to replace him.

Besides, he's got another 4yrs IIRC as canuck property... and if he's signing a 2yr deal now (as speculated), then he'll have at least one more contract as a canuck before he can even leave.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

If we get an offer that makes it worth our while to trade him, sure, but I'd want someone who offers us long-term value, or else a high draft pick included in the deal given that Kes was our top pick in a deep year, and we've invested a lot in him, and he's panned out which is a little bit of a rarity with us :?

I think whoever plays back-up (and yes, felt bad about Wade sitting in Winterpeg with strong play while Vancouver went scrambling for someone, ANYONE, to play with Alex, so in a tie of ability, I'd give it to Flats) has to be able to win their fair share of games, even if they only play a little. With our division as it is, winning above .500 in 10-15 games may make the difference between making or missing the playoffs, even if Luongo plays as we hope he will.
Mark
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

A deal is close for Kesler yes...but will it be with the Canucks?
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Well, given that he's shown up to the 'Nucks camp . . .

Aw, damn you Bobby Clarke. :roll:
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Well, WCE was at least partially right. :P
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)