Burrows signed, King refuses offer and walk out

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Good riddance to Jason King. I never liked him from the get-go. I remember making some controversial comments a few years ago back in October when he was tearing it up. He had scored 9 goals by then, and I guaranteed he wouldn't score more than 14. People called me crazy and I took a lot of heat for my comments, but it turns out I was right.

He has no sense of what 2-way hockey means, he's not the fastest skater, and he doesn't necessarily have the best hands in the system. He will not be missed and is easily replaced by someone like Jesse Schultz or Brandon Reid.

Alex Burrows on the other hand is a great signing. He displayed the work ethic and energy that this team seriously lacked last season. I see him developing into a Matt Cooke type player. Hard working, some offensive pop, but mainly here for his aggitation and forechecking abilities.
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

I think I saw Burrows at Earls today, he was with two other guys I didn't recognize, there just for drinks...didn't see any puck-bunnies hanging around, maybe nobody else knew who he was. Nobody believed me when I told them because he doesn't have a substantial stature, a fairly thin guy.

On a side note, our waitress had to have been the most attractive girl I have seen this year, a beautiful, angelic face with a pretty nice figure too.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Canuck2 wrote:I think I saw Burrows at Earls today, he was with two other guys I didn't recognize, there just for drinks...didn't see any puck-bunnies hanging around, maybe nobody else knew who he was. Nobody believed me when I told them because he doesn't have a substantial stature, a fairly thin guy.

On a side note, our waitress had to have been the most attractive girl I have seen this year, a beautiful, angelic face with a pretty nice figure too.
The big tipoff would be

a) If he paid
b) If he left a large tip

:lol:
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

The_Pauser wrote:
Canuck2 wrote:I think I saw Burrows at Earls today, he was with two other guys I didn't recognize, there just for drinks...didn't see any puck-bunnies hanging around, maybe nobody else knew who he was. Nobody believed me when I told them because he doesn't have a substantial stature, a fairly thin guy.

The big tipoff would be

a) If he paid
b) If he left a large tip

:lol:
:) I should have paid attention to that...the waitresses were distracting me a little too much. I did notice that the three of them didn't really say that much to each other, maybe English wasn't the first language for all three (ie. Krajicek or Bulis or Tremblay) and communicating was hard.
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

Yea nice lock up by Nonis, 3 years and at a bargain rate, I can definitely seem him as a solid 3rd-4th line player in the years to come.

I remember catching the prospects game at UBC and he didn't look spectacular out there, but he is the type of energy guy every team needs- especially with Ruutu gone.

I don't know, with King he can still turn into a scorer in the NHL someday, he lit it up as a rookie and really hasn't had a second crack since then. He may have matured the past few years and also humbled due to the concussions, I would have like to at least see him in camp and the preseason.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Which Earls was it? Was it lunch or dinner time? Maybe I will go there and have a look myself.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Apparently, it was about money for King:

Link

That has got to be the most foolish decision by King. He can kiss his NHL career goodbye. Maybe he will play in Europe or something.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I didn't get that from the article at all...from the Team 1040 reports its all about duration. It sounds like King will accept their salary but wants one year. Anyone on here making him out to be greedy is jumping to conclusions. I can understand him not wanting to sign longer term unless its one way OR like he said, has a higher minor league component. He has alot to prove so its a gamble for him to take a one-way AND lets the Canucks off the hook if he flops....so I don't see the problem. I can understand Nonis wanting to lock all these guys up at the minimum but he might be taking it a bit too far in this case. King has no leverage so a one year at the minimum should be fair to both sides.

Thanks tant, yes I'm very happy for Burrows. He's come so far from that rookie camp I saw him at (a fight & a bucket of points in the intrasquad game). Quite the story. I took some heat for saying we should sign that kid.
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

gobi wrote:Which Earls was it? Was it lunch or dinner time? Maybe I will go there and have a look myself.
The one on Hornby and Smithe, right next to the new Paramount Theatres, supposedly one of the latest places to go for drinks after work. They were there from about 4pm till about 5:30pm.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Hope he does come to the main camp and we sign him to a one-year deal, miminum NHL with a two-way Moose component that gives him a raise I'd go for...we're short on depth as it is, especially guys with offensive potential. Limited or inconsistent, still, if we lose a couple of our offensive wingers, King would be a nice option to have, especially with Balej in Europe.
Mark
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

MarkMM wrote:Hope he does come to the main camp and we sign him to a one-year deal, miminum NHL with a two-way Moose component that gives him a raise I'd go for...we're short on depth as it is, especially guys with offensive potential. Limited or inconsistent, still, if we lose a couple of our offensive wingers, King would be a nice option to have, especially with Balej in Europe.
With the rumour being that he wants NHL money even if he's playin in Manitoba, I certainly hope Nonis just lets King rot as a RFA. Seriously, the guy has 0 leverage and thinks he can just up and walk out of camp. Poor attitude from a poor player.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Jason King may want to think about signing a contract and getting back to camp pronto, as Jesse Schultz is already making his case on Day One of prospects camp. Schultz evidently put away a nifty shootout goal in the post-practice scrimmage to earn Team White a 4-3 win.

Quotes from AV on Schultz: "Jesse Schultz was our top scorer last year in Manitoba . . . He's a young man who's come a long way as far as his progression and his professionalism to the game, and he's got great hands."

"He's got the talent and the potential, now it's up to him grab this opportunity and make the best of it. He's going to get a really serious look, and he's going to have to perform."

http://www.canucks.com/theinsider/defau ... =5&id=1588

That coveted right wing spot with the Sedins is up for grabs, and Schultz certainly seems determined to take a run at King's former spot.

King is a fool if he lets this opportunity pass him by. The guy blew his earlier shot at making the League and if he skips camp this season he certainly won't be handed a third chance to step in as a top 6 forward.

Time to decide if you want to be an NHL player, Jason.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Goon2
CC Rookie

Post by Goon2 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Loving the Burrows signing, cheap, 3 years...he's gonna have to have the fire for a while now in order to move up the salary charts.

Screw King, the guy has done NOTHING to prove he is worth anything more than the minimum. One year, two way contract for 550 should be the most they'd consider. Like it's been written above, he disapeared once he got some coverage, and Danrik could bounce goals off a retarded midget monkey. I have no problem letting him stew or trading him away.
I laughed so hard at "Danrik could bounce goals off a retarded midget monkey" I almost barfed.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

One guy no one talks about playing with the Sedins could be Marc-Andre Bernier. This guy is big and strong against the boards. He's a mini-power forward and has the ability to get those garbage goals at the side of the net a la Anson Carter.

He could be a sleeper to watch out for.
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

The_Pauser wrote:One guy no one talks about playing with the Sedins could be Marc-Andre Bernier. This guy is big and strong against the boards. He's a mini-power forward and has the ability to get those garbage goals at the side of the net a la Anson Carter.

He could be a sleeper to watch out for.
Bernier?

Of all the long shot picks, that is quite the long shot. IMO he is nowhere near ready to play in the NHL, and certainly not playing top minutes on a line we are going to need to lead us offensively.

If Bernier is good enough to play that role on this team, it wouldn't matter if we had three Luongo's in net all stacked on top of each other, we would still lose.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season