Bertuzzi fingers McCarthy for all the trouble

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Harold
CC Veteran

Bertuzzi fingers McCarthy for all the trouble

Post by Harold »

LINK

"I really do think it was overblown and it was mostly started by one guy, and how can I control what one guy like Steve McCarthy thinks," said Bertuzzi.

"When all that stuff started coming out it bothered all of us so much we had a team meeting about it and it was one of those where it was nothing but the truth or leave the room. Not one guy stood up and said he had a problem."

"I think it was mostly sour grapes on his [McCarthy's] part because he wasn't playing much and when he left he said those things. I don't know why he said them."

Bertuzzi even mentions a possible comeback (though I really wouldn't put any stock in it):

"You know, we didn't win a Cup in Vancouver and didn't get even to the third round but I had many great experiences with the people I met and I'll always remember my time there. I won't forget those people.

"In fact, at the end of this year, I'm an unrestricted free agent again.

"You never know, stranger things have happened."
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

The most troubling aspect of the article is that players earning $6 and $5 million a season left Crow to pick up their beer tab.

Talk about your disfunctional locker-room . . . ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
brianp
AHL Prospect

Post by brianp »

Too bad Bert has to keep openning his mouth and answerring question. I had more respect for him when "It is what it is" was the answer 8-)

Brian
**been known to be wrong on occaision, just ask the Ex
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

brianp wrote:Too bad Bert has to keep openning his mouth and answerring question. I had more respect for him when "It is what it is" was the answer 8-)

Brian
And why's that? I think its great he put to rest some of the speculation, and leaves us hanging with a possible return.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Good god, imagine that. I know, I know, we just got over the Beruzzi black cloud, but just imagine.... we trade Auld Allen and Bert for Luongo, sign him long term, then the following year both Bert and Allen come back....!!! not that we could afford it or anything, but..... dear god, the WCE WITH Luongo and the twins? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This make no sense, I know, but man I just still love Bert.... would love to see him dominate again after his triumphant return to vancouver.... Pipe dreams, yes, but it's a nice dream!

I'm sure many of you have a different opinion on this scenario however...

*Braces for flame*
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Ohy God would I love to have him back! I don't care what anyone says watching the Canucks when Berts in the line-up is 200% better.

What a glorious kick in the nuts to the media that would be!
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Reverend Smack
CC Veteran

Post by Reverend Smack »

What a glorious kick in the nuts to the media that would be!

That there would be reason enough to bring him back for me.
The truth may hurt...but it is still the Truth...Have a nice day :)
brianp
AHL Prospect

Post by brianp »

The_Pauser wrote: And why's that? I think its great he put to rest some of the speculation, and leaves us hanging with a possible return.
Why? Because he had no regard for what the coach was trying to do and taking it upon himself to set the strategy. How was his defence? His drive TO the net? He had his career year, got his big contract... Let's see how he does without the media pressure in Florida before we cry for his return.

Brian
**been known to be wrong on occaision, just ask the Ex
Ilevakam
CC Veteran

Post by Ilevakam »

That article made me feel pretty good, didnt really clue in that he is gone until now, its
good to hear him say soo many good things. IMO he will always have a spot on my
Canucks
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Big Bert is always my man..(deleted, holy cow, too many beers last night (excuse 8-) ))
Last edited by Cookie La Rue on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Goon2
CC Rookie

Post by Goon2 »

I think Bert would agree his season was a collection of no-look passes to no one and inconsistent play. His play was not commensurate with his pay. As he said, it was time for him to turn the page.

But would I like to have him back? Sure.
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

"We had some real differences in philosophy, and there were some things he did that really bothered me, most particularly how he handled my friends -- Brad May especially.

"He never played him. He never gave him a chance to show what he could do. Here was a guy who was a 15-year war vet, a warrior, a guy who had fought every tough guy in the league and yet he was never put out there in any other kind of situation. And this was a guy who could handle all kinds of roles in the league. That really bothered me."

Oh man, I feel sorry for Crow!! :shock: He can't even decide who gets to play on the fourth line!?!
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

That article really shows how arrogant Bert can be. The reason his line's ice time and PP time was cut down was because they were totally ineffective. I guess one can argue it's the chicken and the egg. Was Bert's playing time decreased because of his inconsistent play or his play was inconsistent because his ice time was cut? Personally, I believe it's the former. Crow had given Bert lots of leeway and I think Bert's ice time deserved to be cut. I wouldn't want him back as a FA. Not that I wish Bert ill or anything but I seriously doubt he will be a dominate force in Florida.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Crow was know to be a asshole to certian people for no perticular reason. Although I never was a fan of Brad May's.

Yeah thats smart! Break up the best line in hockey, one year removed, in the middle of a fight for your playoff lives, Take those great players and put them with AHL caliber guys and cut their ice time! F-ing brilliant! Almost looks like the fix was in on Crawfords part.

I hope he dominates in Florida and injures two Canuck d-men and a shit kicks a forward while scoring a hat trick to go with his two assists when he returns in january!
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

ververgaert wrote:I hope he . . . injures two Canuck d-men and a shit kicks a forward while scoring a hat trick to go with his two assists when he returns in january!
Um . . . no.

You never wish injuries on any player. Let alone your own.

Not even Cloutier. ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.