Marcus Captain?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Bure by far had the most talent. Gary Smith is on the short list as well. Don't get me wrong Naslund is a good player but Bure had way more talent.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Soapy wrote:
Messier, Yzerman, Gretzky, Sakic, Stevens...way more play than talk.
Soapy wrote:
Messier ... definitely a player but I don't think he is all that quiet ... I get the point you are making on your post though ..

I believe there are times that the "RA RA" stuff still happens and still works ... in the NHL and in other professional sports ... whether it be a positive RA RA or else a big kick in the rear ...

Grizz
Victoriafan
CC Rookie

Post by Victoriafan »

Well, we can debate all we want, but according to the coach and the GM (and I might add, this fan), Markus is a no brainer.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176832&hubname=nhl

I heart Markus Naslund.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Okay , so the coach says he wants Markus as his captain, and Markus says he wants to be the captain. Now you stupid f-in media swine can you please leave this and Markus alone so that your not the reason another good player wants out of this city because of you scumbags!
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Seriously. Markus Naslund hasn't led this team anywhere. Sure he's proven himself to be a top NHL player on the ice, but in the lockerroom what has he done? He has failed to take this team anywhere in the playoffs. He was there when the Canucks "choked" in 2003. And he failed to lift the team up last season out of its slump due to poor effort.

Markus doesn't have the leadership abilities to be the captain of this team, or any team in the NHL. Period.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

The_Pauser wrote:Seriously. Markus Naslund hasn't led this team anywhere. Sure he's proven himself to be a top NHL player on the ice, but in the lockerroom what has he done? He has failed to take this team anywhere in the playoffs. He was there when the Canucks "choked" in 2003. And he failed to lift the team up last season out of its slump due to poor effort.

Markus doesn't have the leadership abilities to be the captain of this team, or any team in the NHL. Period.
Last I checked, there were 29 captains last year, and 29 captains the year before, and 29 captains the year before that who failed to take their teams to the Cup. He did, however, help make us one of the dominant teams in the regular season, and I don't know how much you can blame him for last year with his top 3 defensemen and top goalie out with injuries, or the season before that, when Bertuzzi was suspended for the playoffs, or the season before that when his goalie choked on him.

He's not the best captain, but to lay this team's shortcomings on his leadership is a bit hysterical, unless anyone here can personally attest to what happened in the lockeroom...it's bad enough trying to coach the team from the TV, it's a whole bunch worse to criticize the dressing room from outside the building.
Mark
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

MarkMM wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Seriously. Markus Naslund hasn't led this team anywhere. Sure he's proven himself to be a top NHL player on the ice, but in the lockerroom what has he done? He has failed to take this team anywhere in the playoffs. He was there when the Canucks "choked" in 2003. And he failed to lift the team up last season out of its slump due to poor effort.

Last I checked, there were 29 captains last year, and 29 captains the year before, and 29 captains the year before that who failed to take their teams to the Cup. He did, however, help make us one of the dominant teams in the regular season, and I don't know how much you can blame him for last year with his top 3 defensemen and top goalie out with injuries, or the season before that, when Bertuzzi was suspended for the playoffs, or the season before that when his goalie choked on him.

He's not the best captain, but to lay this team's shortcomings on his leadership is a bit hysterical, unless anyone here can personally attest to what happened in the lockeroom...it's bad enough trying to coach the team from the TV, it's a whole bunch worse to criticize the dressing room from outside the building.
Very true, but with the reports that the dressing room was divided, it's up to a good captain to fix that. Sure there were 28 other captains who failed to win the cup, but some of those shouldn't be captains either. What we're worried about is our own team.

My take on it is that we got a guy named Trevor Linden who carried us on his back to the Stanley Cup finals in 1994. What we need is someone like him who will carry us on his back and unite the team as one collective unit. Naslund was too concerned with crying in post-game interviews. He's too soft-spoken and until that changes he'll never be able to rally a team together.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I think it might be a bit different this year without Bert knawing and jewing in his ear about something. I liked Bert but he did bring as we know some negativity and clickiness to the team ... I think we should see how Naslund deals with the Bertless Canucks and go from there.

My only concern with Naslund being the captain is that I sincerely doubt he will be here in three years or so when his contract expires .... a decision will have to be made at sometime to pass the torch.

For now though IMO with the team shuffle I think it is best to keep it with Naslund as it will offer some kind of stability and familiarity for the team.

Grizz
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

How do we know that Bert brought that Grizz? Don't you think the media brought that instead? Same result, destoyed a good team but I don't think Bert is the main culprit.

In three years a leader will have emerged from the newer players. I don't think looking that far ahead is needed now.

The coach of the Canucks agrees with you on your third point and so do I.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Dave Nonis interviewed the players he acquired at the deadline after the season about the lockerroom atmosphere. Word has gotten out that there were 2 main cancers in the lockerroom. 1 has since been traded and the other has not re-signed with the team (unclear as to who it is).

This does suggest though that Todd Bertuzzi was the main problem.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I don't believe that for one second. The cancer in the dressing room was the media after every game.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ververgaert wrote:I don't believe that for one second. The cancer in the dressing room was the media after every game.
I agree that the media plays a hand, but where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

On the issue of the Captain...I would much rather see it on the chest of a good Canadian, hard nosed, heart on the sleeve, kind of player. Maybe Willie Mitchell will be there one day. This is Naslunds team for now, and I don't have a problem giving him another kick at the can, there's just nobody else I'd take. Linden dosn't play enough, his role is too small. Ohlund and Salo I think you would find in the same boat as Nazzy.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Linden is an important part of this team's leadership, but I don't think he'll be a step forward, for two reasons...first, he doesn't need the "C" to lead, and second, this team's success or failure will by and large be dependent on how Naslund plays this season, there are some who think (and it's a fair point) that perhaps it's best to take the "C" off and it's distractions, on the other hand, apparently he wants it, so let him have it as he MUST lead this team strongly if we are going to have a chance of winning.

As for him not being here in a few years, that's possible, but still, we don't have a clear alternative, so let Naslund have it this year, maybe this will be his breakout year as a captain as he has something to prove and no Bert to be distracted with, or to turn to during the game, he is the undisputed skating superstar now.

If he doesn't have a good year, well, Mitchell will likely have played his way into a leadership spot, maybe Morrison, and we can make a decision next year.
Mark
Jester
AHL Prospect

Post by Jester »

Give it to Kesler and see if he can run with it.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Jester wrote:Give it to Kesler and see if he can run with it.
LOL. Just the message I'd send, hey kid, have a nice contract squabble, how would you like the C?