Canucks announce training camp and rosters

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

nobody could expect Koltsov to come into Vancouver and replace Salo... that's not likely to happen.

What Koltsov does is replace his salary slot on the pro roster.... replacing Salo will take more than anyone dman to do, but hopefully this season all 3 of Bieksa, Krajicek and Bourdon develop a bit, and hopefully improvements from those 3 and Koltsov can replace Salo's loss.

I also don't expect to see Salo back after this year... he's considerably underpaid for what he brings, and chances are that he'll get a huge raise on his next deal. With the canucks already committed $7 mill to Ohlund and Mitchell, in front of Luongo's $6.75mill deal, it's unlikely the canucks find the room to add another $3+mill dman, and Salo will get nothing short of that.

I was disappointed to learn that Mitchell signed a NTC in his contract as well... if Salo has another season like last year, I'd rather have him here at that price and ship Mitchell out in a year... it'd make perfect sense as well, since Allen, rumoured to want to return, could be a cheaper replacement on the left side.

But with the way it's shaping up - Salo will be replaced on the right side by Koltsov, joining Krajicek and Bieksa in a year (barring other trades), while the left side will have Ohlund, Mitchell and Bourdon. I don't see the need in bringing in Allen next year with that left side, and I wouldn't risk signing him to play his off-side, which he hasn't played well on before, and hasn't even played there since his days with Baron.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Salo's had his moments, but for what he really brings to the table I think he can be easily replaced. His true value is in the fact that he is a right-handed shot, a rarity in defenseman. His shot is heavy, but only works if it hits the net. He was hitting the net in the beginning in the season, but after the first two months he just became average. At times, the guy probably can't even hit water if he he fell out of a boat.

He will be able command $3m+ in the market, but even if we could get him at that price I'd be hesitant. Tom Preissing is a much, much cheaper and equally effective option, but I don't see Ottawa giving him up anytime soon.

As for Koltsov - no one's really seen him play, asides from the scouts, and from what I've seen and heard, he sounds like another Sandis Ozolinsh. Talented, but just sometimes doesn't have his head screwed on straight. If Koltsov does take Salo's place, we lose a RH defenseman.

Brent Sopel back again, anyone?
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

I'd rather plug a left handed, right side dman like Koltsov into our lineup, than bring back Sopel.... Sopel was completely a product of Ohlund, and that became clear after he flopped elsewhere, while Baumer was able to land a $1.2mill/yr deal after playing a season with Ohlund.

I don't see the problem with carrying 5 LH shots either... it's not a rarity to see in the NHL. IIRC Calgary has been carrying only 1 RH shot (Warrener) for a while on their defense - and they've been labbelled one of the top defenses in the league for a couple seasons now... and I'm sure there are other teams in the same situation. Right now we have 2 RH shots - Salo and Bieksa... and in a year, we could do with just one...

more important IMO than having a RH shot is making sure that we have 3 dmen that are comfortable playing the right side.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

nuckfan in TO wrote:I'd rather plug a left handed, right side dman like Koltsov into our lineup, than bring back Sopel.... Sopel was completely a product of Ohlund, and that became clear after he flopped elsewhere, while Baumer was able to land a $1.2mill/yr deal after playing a season with Ohlund.

I don't see the problem with carrying 5 LH shots either... it's not a rarity to see in the NHL. IIRC Calgary has been carrying only 1 RH shot (Warrener) for a while on their defense - and they've been labbelled one of the top defenses in the league for a couple seasons now... and I'm sure there are other teams in the same situation. Right now we have 2 RH shots - Salo and Bieksa... and in a year, we could do with just one...

more important IMO than having a RH shot is making sure that we have 3 dmen that are comfortable playing the right side.
At this point I highly doubt we'll see Kiril Koltsov in a Canuck uniform. Who knows...he could turn out to be the next Mattias Ohlund (different styles but the way they come to the team), but I highly doubt it. It seems to me that he'll just be one of those players who had promise but never really made it on to the team for one reason or another.
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

The_Pauser wrote:At this point I highly doubt we'll see Kiril Koltsov in a Canuck uniform. Who knows...he could turn out to be the next Mattias Ohlund (different styles but the way they come to the team), but I highly doubt it. It seems to me that he'll just be one of those players who had promise but never really made it on to the team for one reason or another.
considering that Koltsov himself said that his dream has always been to play in the NHL, and he has every intention of coming here next summer, I'm not going to write him off just yet.

at this point, because he's signed a contract with this organization already, making him inegible for UFA status until he's 27, and has already made an effort to come to NA as a prospect - which most Euros don't even like to do, and that he wants to play at the NHL level, I'd say it's premature to write him off completely.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I think it was in an interview with HF that Nonis indicated that Koltsov was in the plans for the Canucks, just not this year.
Mark
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

We'll see what happens with Koltsov, but as I see it he's been passed on the depth charts by Bieksa, Bourdon, Edler and quite possibly even Daniel Rahimi.
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

The_Pauser wrote:We'll see what happens with Koltsov, but as I see it he's been passed on the depth charts by Bieksa, Bourdon, Edler and quite possibly even Daniel Rahimi.
how exactly has he been passed on the depth chart by these guys?

I agree on Bieksa... he's made the NHL... the rest haven't, like Koltsov, except unlike Koltsov, none of the other guys are considered elite dmen on any other level above junior. Koltsov has been regarded as one of the top dmen in the RSL this past year.

He has not been passed over on the depth chart by any of them... all hes' doing is developing his skills elsewhere, while being very positive about hitting the NHL next season.

In fact, even Nonis doesn't think he's been passed over by them, since Koltsov confirmed (quoted in the Soviet Sport article) that Nonis did offer him a very reasonable 1-way offer with the canucks this season.

If he had been passed over by guys like Elder and Rahmi, do you think there's any chance that Nonis gambles by giving him a 1-way deal?

I just think your assumptions about Koltsov here are ignoring what Koltsov himself has confirmed about his NHL future, his reasons for returning to the RSL this season, and confirming being offered a 1-way deal by Nonis.
headspacej
AHL Prospect

Post by headspacej »

JJ at Canucks Hockey Blog checked out the prospects camp yesterday morning and had some interesting observations on some of the names we've been hearing about here: http://canuckshockey.blogspot.com/2006/ ... -camp.html