Burrows signed, King refuses offer and walk out

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Burrows signed, King refuses offer and walk out

Post by tantalum »

For Burrows a 3 yr $1.5 mil deal. One way contract. A great story in Burrows. I honestly doubt he truly thought he'd sign such a deal when he was invited to camp that one year. I know Clam will be happy to see that. Kid worked hard and improved every year and gets rewarded. 500k is a pretty good deal...especially for 3 years.

King refusing the offer and walking out. Seems strange. The guy has no leverage whatsoever to be dictating terms. Perhaps pissed Burrows got a one-way and he was only offered a two-way? Found out that he slipped behind Schultz in managements eyes? Perhaps his concussion turned his brain to mush? Perhaps it's just an insurance issue...thought the deal would be done saw something he didn't like so doesn't want to risk it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176814&hubname=
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

King still has so to prove - that he's over the effects of the concussion, that he can play a consistant game all year. What does he expect?

Great for Burrows though. Amazing what hard work will get you.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Didn't hear it myself but from another board someone mentioned that 1040 has reported Nonis as saying King will not be back in camp unless he accepts the offer.

Question i have is if on rejecting the qualifier Nonis is turning this into the Cooke and Schaefer negotiations...you reject it we put the screws to you. Multi-year or nothing else.

I could see why King would only want to sign a one year deal. he certainly can't complain about money because he should only expect the minimum.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I have to wonder if its not Danriks fault. I mean, it seems that everyone who plays 40 games with them all the sudden thinks they are worth 3 million dollars....perhaps its some strange twin-sweat virus that those two give to thier winger when they all hug after a goal.....

I place the fault entirely on the Twins....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

haha, good theory Madcombine, that does make sense...

I don't get King, unless they're trying to sign him to a 3 year near minimum contract, why not take what you can get? even playing with the Moose last year he only lasted what, 40 games? Prove you can play, maybe get another shot with the twins (a Godsend for any remotely-talented scorer, everyone should know that by now) and then look for a raise. He's young, he's still got time to prove himself and make the big(ger) cash.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Doesn't make sense at all with King ... he has zero to no leverage and really isn't in any position to bargin ... Cya later to him if he isn't reasonable ... opens the door for someone else (??) to have a crack.

Grizz
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

From DN point of view it's a roll of the dice. He could be out again with the first hit and even when he played, he scored right up until the point that "D" started to give him some attention and at that point he disappeared altogther, how much would you pay the guy ??
cheers
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

Badfish wrote:haha, good theory Madcombine, that does make sense...

I don't get King, unless they're trying to sign him to a 3 year near minimum contract, why not take what you can get? even playing with the Moose last year he only lasted what, 40 games? Prove you can play, maybe get another shot with the twins (a Godsend for any remotely-talented scorer, everyone should know that by now) and then look for a raise. He's young, he's still got time to prove himself and make the big(ger) cash.
I believe he wasn't cleared to play until after Christmas so the 40 games was playing every game he could since he came back. Regardless though the Canucks should be prepared to sign him to a 1 year one way deal rather than not even take a chance that he might have chemistry with the twins still.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Loving the Burrows signing, cheap, 3 years...he's gonna have to have the fire for a while now in order to move up the salary charts.

Screw King, the guy has done NOTHING to prove he is worth anything more than the minimum. One year, two way contract for 550 should be the most they'd consider. Like it's been written above, he disapeared once he got some coverage, and Danrik could bounce goals off a retarded midget monkey. I have no problem letting him stew or trading him away.
sports&stuff---rick
AHL Prospect

Post by sports&stuff---rick »

concussion, that he can play a consistant game all year. What does he expect?

Amazing what hard work will get you.[/quote]

hard work and great goaltending will make the canucks the surprise team of the league this year based on where the so called experts have them finishing.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I'm actually glad that burrows signed for 3 years. I really liked what I saw last year, and I think he'll be a regular 3rd/4th liner with us for a long time. I get the feeling that 500k will look cheap 2 years from now. But anyways, good for Burrows, he's a real sucess story and I hope he sticks arounds.

As for King, I agree with everyone else, why? Maybe he intends to sign with an AHL team and get a better NHL contract a few years down the road? Seems like a pointless thing to do. He's got a lot to prove after such a serious concussion. I think he should just be glad that he even got offered a contract. It's not like he'd be a regular with the big club anyways... He literally has no negotiating power, hopefully he'll see sense and come crawling back a week from now. If not, then good riddance. I've heard just about enough Prima-Donna crap lately.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

I doubt it's about the money. I suspect DN probably wants to lock him for several years while King wants one year. Or King wants one-way contract and DN wants two-way. But King has no leverage so I agree with everyone else, what's he thinking? Maybe his agent is playing with his head.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

If King balked at a one year, two-way deal at the minimum, I agree he's an idiot, BUT, we don't know what he was offered. If he was offered a multi-year deal only, two-way at the minimum, I'd be pissed, too, I don't think the whole story is out yet or completely finished.

Burrows, mixed feelings. Honestly, I'd rather have a two-way deal, even if it meant that it was only for one year. It's not that I question his commitment or contribution, but it does limit the team's ability to choose the roster which might have some surprises, what if some of our other young guys really step it up, if other people become available through waivers, or we pick people up through trades? I'd hate for the Canucks to either pass up on players potentially better than Burrows or feel they have to trade him away because they don't want to pay a guy $500k to play in the minors.
Mark
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

King had two good months on the back of his linemates and then prolonged nothing. He is soft with major concussion issues. Trade his rights and be done with him.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

ververgaert wrote:King had two good months on the back of his linemates and then prolonged nothing. He is soft with major concussion issues. Trade his rights and be done with him.
Completely true. How can anyone expect anything but the minimum. Yet I will still wait to see what was offered and what the reason for rejection was before I ask that he be shipped back to the Rock for lifestyle reconditioning.