Prospects

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Prospects

Postby Soapy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:51 am

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Postby gobi » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:51 pm

That's a pretty good scouting report. Thanks. I am really keen on these three. I really think Schultz has a real chance of making the team this year especially if Kesler is a holdout. I think he will do well with the Sedins. Who knows, maybe he will prove to have better hands than Carter.
Why do you keep banging your head on the wall?
Because it feels good when I stop.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Postby MarkMM » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:10 am

We've got a solid core, and the bulk of it was put in place by Nonis in a few short years. I'm not saying they'll all pan out or that it won't take a while, but I do think it's becoming evident Nonis has started improving things.

Schneider, Ellis-Plante and Vincent make us stronger in net than we've ever been.

On defense, Bourdon and Bieksa are already showing their value, Edler looks like he might be a steal, and Rahimi also seems he might be a diamond in the rough (I know, I know, they might not pan out, but Nonis has shown the ability and guts to draft players that other people overlook but who show good promise).

Now he's moved on the forwards, picking up Grabner as the centre-piece, with Mason Raymond showing some promise. He's got four picks in the first two rounds next year, so there's an opportunity to re-stock then.

The other thing I like about Nonis (other than his systematic way of taking risks in order to re-build, not only in trades, but in drafts, which is what we have to do if we want to acquire decent prospects without losing as much as Pittsburgh) is how he goes the extra mile to acquire assets. He's signed some undrafted players that turn into assets without costing the team picks or players, Burrows, Rypien and Schultz, and he looks like he might do it again with Slade.

All in all, great asset management. (I'm in the camp that does NOT regret the deadline deals, they didn't pan out, but I think it needed to be tried.)
Mark
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:05 pm

I believe the head of amateur scouting Ron Delorme deserves a lot more credit than he gets. Our dark days of scouting were really the Mike Penney era. It'll be interesting to see how long Penney last in the ex Quinn days. Although players like Koltsov may not have played for the canukcs, ditto Umberger they were none the less good selections. But players like Schneider, Bourdon, Raymond, Hansen Vincent Plante and Buthcherall look to have promise.

Penney was a disaster although very much influnenzed by Quinn
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:17 pm

actually Hockey futures has just updated the Canucks top 20 propspects

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?si ... ed&order=0
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Soapy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:35 am

Thanks for the Hockey Futures report...very interesting that Bieksa is rated where he is...I love him as the Staios type middle weight fighter on our back line...Mitchell takes care of the heavey weights & Bieksa jumps on the granades...Edler is a bit of a wild card..good size & skill level at the junior level..a freebee with the Gradin ( #23 what a beauty..in the day) scouting report.
Someone should take a good look at what Delorme has done for this team in his time. Penny was pretty awful. I don't know what draft year things changed..when did Delorme take over?
Great Delorme stats:
1981-82 Vancouver Canucks NHL
gm g a p pim
59 9 8 17 177
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Postby The_Pauser » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:21 pm

I'm still not sold on the Canucks drafting or their prospects. Personally I think Michael Grabner was a wasted draft pick and they should have gone with Bobby Sanguinetti. Why? Well, yes we do have some depth in the back end, but Sanguinetti will turn out to be a better player than Grabner.

Grabner = Bust IMO.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Return to Canucks Corner Chat