Marcus Captain?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

volsungr
CC Veteran

Marcus Captain?

Post by volsungr »

There is an article about Marcus maybe not being captain this season. What do you all on the list think about someone else being captain or is it a bad idea to take it from him? Marcus might play better without it, or could feel as if he somewhat not wanted.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Va ... 62-ap.html

Tom Hall
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

I say he should remain captain until the canucks fanbase can learn to spell his name correctly.

come on.. after so many years in Vancouver, and putting up the stats he has, he deserves at least that, doesn't he? ;)
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

nuckfan in TO wrote:I say he should remain captain until the canucks fanbase can learn to spell his name correctly.

come on.. after so many years in Vancouver, and putting up the stats he has, he deserves at least that, doesn't he? ;)
No kidding! Spelling the guys name wrong is just a slap in the face. No one would dare miss-spell Trevor Lyndon's name. It's all about respect people.

:lol:
R.I.P. Luc.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I don't see another logical choice other than Markus. I'm not a big fan of naming a new player the captain of the team - unless the guy's name is Gretzky or Yzerman.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I think Nazzy has to keep it. at least for now. you cant just give the "C" to someone and basically demand players to respect him. I think Nazzy has earned the right to be the captain and alot of the guys look up to him in the room. respect is everything. i think his game wouldnt change at all if he wasnt the captain... but as the roster sits right now, i dont see anyone who deserves to be the captain. Im sure lots of people will be hoping Lyndon (haha, good joke bartman) gets it but i would personally would rather see a guy wearing the C who is on the ice in those high pressure situations... when the game is on the line. Not a guy on the 4th line. Linden has been a great asset to this team but i hope evryone sees his role has changed
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Personally I feel that Naslund has gotten a bum rap as Captain due to his laid back demeanor. He's been honest. He's been accountable. He's been availible to the media. He's been active in the community. He made a long term commitment to play in Vancouver when he could have jumped ship as a free agent. He's also consistantly been our best player year in and year out. He's not a Rah Rah guy and he hasn't led us to success in the post season but as far as I'm concerned he's Captain material. In fact his statement that he would do what is best for the team and give up the C if asked showed maturity and leadership by example. I'll take all that all that over some Rah Rah any day.

Bottom line however is that there is no one on the team who has stood up and taken command of the club. If there was then this topic would warrent some consideration.

Marcus or Markus. No matter how you spell his name he is the man for the job this season.

NOTE: Spelling cow is down so I probably spelled more than his name wrong :oops:
R.I.P. Luc.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Personally I feel that Naslund has gotten a bum rap as Captain due to his laid back demeanor.

I wasn't impressed by his leadership that he displayed to the fans last season and I certainly wasn't impressed with the way he lead on the ice. I always prefer a leader who is far more verbal. The laid back approach didn't cut it last season. I can give him a pass because of his injury with his brutal play on the ice last season.

The bottom line is this year he HAS to lead on the ice. He HAS to be one of the hardest working guys on the ice and last year, he wasn't. If you believe he can do that again, I say keep him as captain. Otherwise, put the C on someone else. I firmly believe that the way he and Bertuzzi played last year, they did more than their fair share to kill the morale of the team. It filters down.

Naslund has to prove that he is still an elite player because last season, he was far from it.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

randymeeks wrote:Naslund has to prove that he is still an elite player because last season, he was far from it.
Naslund's taken a bad rap as far as being an elite player recently, but the truth is, he still led the team in points. Sure he wasn't on par with other comparable in the league, but none of them had to go through the off ice crap that Naslund did. I expect a much better season this year. I just wish this stupid captaincy and Todd stuff would blow by so he can get back to doing what he does best.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

i agree with Bartman on this one. He isnt the type to get in a guys face. hes leads by example. there are a ton of great captains, past and present, who lead this way. however he certainly has to prove hes the man to do it. and i think he is an elite player in this league. isnt evryone entitled to an "off" season?? strange we talk about him sucking last season and he still put up the most points. he not only has to prove that he can take this team far this year, but he also has to prove that the cancer is out of the dressing room and is gone for good.
im basically done with talking about last season and all the drama that brought the team down.... im ready for this season. im ready to see a whole new team out there. we finally have an elite goaltender in vancouver and were still talking about last season? lets start countin down the days for the new season.... the new canucks...

p.s~ whens the last time a goalie was the captain? :lol:
BELIEVE.

Jonathan Toews
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

about the VERBAL?? is Naslund going to tell Linden to 'pick it up?' Is Naslund going to tell Cooke 'let's get it going next shift?' Do we really think that RA-RA stuff works at any level beyond BANTAM?? & if the young guys still need it to get going is Naslund the one to TALK about it or do it on the ice.....Naslund will be fine this year. If you are the verbal guy, your the pest..not the leader. Messier, Yzerman, Gretzky, Sakic, Stevens...way more play than talk.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

He's the greatest Canuck of all time...he should keep the C.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Naslund while a good player is not the greatest Canuck of all time.

So his first day on the ice and some reporter comes up and asks him if he should keep the C . Why does this guy want to stay in this city? Iwould be gone to some American city were hockey is fourth on the depth charts and not deal with the media pigs any more.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

ververgaert wrote:Naslund while a good player is not the greatest Canuck of all time.
Just out of curiousity, who would you say is the greatest Canuck? It's not exactly an easy answer, considering this team has never won the whole thing. I guess the popular answer is Linden, but honestly, in terms of sheer ability and domination on the ice, I wouldn't choose him. Naslund may not be the best but he's definitely on a short list.

Who would everyone else say? Personally, and I expect to get some flack for this, I would say Bure was the best Canuck. In the future, I expect that person to be Luongo (providing he stays here a long time). Anyone else?
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

bure's a good choice... that guy in his prime could have played on any team and did great. its definatly a small list... nazzy is up there too

and when luongo and naslund take us to the cup they will both be the greatest canucks!!! :towel:
BELIEVE.

Jonathan Toews
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Pure ability, Bure hands down. Pure team identity, Linden. Combination of ability and identity/character (in the sense that Bure wasn't a very good team/city guy), Naslund at least gets consideration. Luongo has four years to make his mark.
Mark