Cooke to Nashville for Upshall?

Trade rumours from around the league. Think you have a source? Stand behind your rumours? You better, or don't post in here!

Moderator: Referees

inferno
AHL Prospect

Cooke to Nashville for Upshall?

Post by inferno »

anyone seen this yet?

http://predzone.com/article.php?id=37

Anyone heard anything about this? I would love this trade. But then again, I have been accused of being a Cookie hater on other forums.
the_bad_fish
AHL Prospect

Post by the_bad_fish »

good find on that article. If cookie is what they are looking for then they have a couple of options that could work for us. I know alot of people love Cookie but this would be a great for Vancouver.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I would love this too. Cooke is a good player, but a RW is something we need.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I dunno, he's a left-hand shot who can play both wings, same as Cooke. Aside from a salary dump, not sure how this improves us...

Assets Is a fiery competitor and backs down from no one. Has solid skating ability and loves to work the corners.
Flaws Needs to add strength to his frame in order to thrive in the pro game. Must show he can back up his trash-talking ways.
Career potential Third line agitator.
Mark
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Here's another profile on Upshall, could be a good pickup at the price.

LINK
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Hmm, it seems that at worst he would be a cheaper replacement for Cooke, at best an offensive winger, HF has him projected as a sure-thing second-liner, cheaper and younger than Cooke. I guess it'd come down to how much premium we put on Cooke's experience and the thought that we've made so many changes that we're at the point where we want to be protecting team cohesion. That said, dumping Cooke's salary might allow us to solidify the defense, if not at the beginning of training camp then maybe further into the season, I'll be honest, I haven't seen enough of Upshall to judge him properly and I think Cooke has enough upside to warrant him getting a look offensively, but upon reflection, I don't think I'd complain if this deal went through.
Mark
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

I would rather that we keep Cooke and trade Kesler instead. I know Kesler is younger but he is asking for the world already when he hasn't done much to deserve it (Peter Schaefer?).
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

The hangup here is that NAS has publlicly said they want to shed some payroll... when cooke for upshall would be taking some on. Now kesler for upshall could work.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

It'd be a shame to lose Kesler as I think he's got great promise, I'm not as optimistic about his offensive upside (when he was drafted Burke projected him as an "elite third-liner"), but still, you nee these types, and he's young and cheap, what we need to keep cap space to load up on other assets. But for these reasons, this makes more sense than Cooke.
Mark
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

MarkMM wrote:and he's young and cheap
He's not cheap...not for what he's asking.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

gobi wrote:
MarkMM wrote:and he's young and cheap
He's not cheap...not for what he's asking.
Yeah, I'm going under the impression that he'll sign for cheap, Nonis doesn't seem to be the guy who'll cave, and Kesler has no negotiating power...unless he wants to go to Russia.
Mark
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

I read that article a couple days ago, and the first thought that came to my mind was that the writer was confused!

First they talk about how Upshall (or Hartnell or Erat) could be made available because the team has 14 forwards that all would need to clear waivers to be sent down to the farm... this doesn't include Radulov - who's not waiver eligible - but is still expected to make the team this year... so that gives them 15 forwards on the team.

The biggest reason why they need to make a move - according to the reasoning in the article - is too many players that would go against the cap as they can't all fit on the pro team, because of waiver eligibility.

So really what good does it do them to flip Upshall or Hartnell or Erat for another forward who's also waiver eligibile?

the logic doesn't add up... I don't doubt that they'd be interested in Cooke... and I don't doubt that one or two of their forwards will be made available via trade - but what I doubt is a team that is looking to move one or two of their 14 waiver eligibile forwards would have a need to bring another forward back in a trade.

it just doesn't add up.

More than likely if any of those guys are moved, it'll be for picks, prospects or young non-waiver eligible players.

And then it's also no secret that the team is looking for another veteran dman to round out their back end... so if you've got a wealth of tradable assets, doesn't it make more sense to use those assets to add a dman, instead of another forward?

I don't think all this is anything more than fan speculation done by a writer on that website... I think that we'll see Nashville make a trade for maybe one or two forwards returning a quality veteran dman in exchange... that makes more sense IMO than adding Cooke to a forward unit that already has 15 capable NHL level forwards.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

I wonder if Nashville will be interested in one of our goalie prospects besides Schneider and add in Kesler for Upshall?
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

gobi wrote:I wonder if Nashville will be interested in one of our goalie prospects besides Schneider and add in Kesler for Upshall?
They probably would, but I wouldn't, that's a pretty big overpayment for a guy who at best is marginally better than Kesler.

Kesler's profiles on both TSN and HF are pretty similar in terms of upside...

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/ryan_kesler
http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/scottie_upshall
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio ... hl-canucks
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio ... -predators
Mark
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

As much as I like Upshall, Cooke for Upshall won't happen. I'd do Kesler for Upshall though, but I dont think there's any substance to any of these deals.